The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Scroll to see replies

I see many people found the area question hard but i don't understand why. If u just find where L1 crosses the x axis that creates a big triangle, then minus the small triangle (between where L1 meets x axis and x=0) from the big triangle.
How is everyone going to revise for C2?
Quick question, for 7, when simplifying y=, (the equation before you dy dx it), we got taught that 7/3x^1/2 would become 3/7x^-1/2. So I don't know whether I would have got full marks on that questions. What do you guys think?
For q10 i got 3x+5y-45=0 therefore ive got ×=15, i did all the methods right how many marks would i get ? Also for q11 i did all the methods right and my answer was P (-2,4) therefore leading a wrong answer to part c but methods right ?
Wow i am shocked that you have it out so quickly I'm shocked in a good way though :smile: I have one question though how did you get the papers so quickly??
Original post by omartahir
you sure?

Yes, all answers were the same, but bear in mind I'm resitting, so this is much easier in comparison to A2.
Original post by Arsey
Here are my solutions.

I thought it was a reasonable paper, expect standard boundaries.

Some of the fractions were a little odd. I think 8a will cause a lot of problems.

I would guess at 62-63 for an A and 55-56 for a B.

I'm guessing mid to high 60's, so i'm not that upset with how I did...
I feel like no amount of revision could've prepared me for the area question, the last part of the arithmetic summing question and the first part of the discriminant question, because, there have never been questions like that in any past paper before. Overall, considering, the mark scheme and the grade predictions though, i'd say i'm pleased :P .
Original post by emiloujess
Sorry for interrupting...

..assuming you know your UMS, this might help!

http://umstools.sourceforge.net/demo/www/index.php?p=calculator&target=gce

Thanks !

I'll just have to find my old AS results.

What would be your thoughts by the way ?
Original post by Billsonbubbles
Thanks !

I'll just have to find my old AS results.

What would be your thoughts by the way ?

I took the exam 2 years ago actually *blushes*... got an U (overall) and had to repeat the year! (without Maths hehe) Just wanted to distract myself from my current exams, I don't take Maths anymore!

I hope you get the grades you need :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NotNotBatman
Yes, all answers were the same, but bear in mind I'm resitting, so this is much easier in comparison to A2.

thanks for the reply, I was just wondering because gaining full marks is quite hard to do in A level maths but well done anyway.
Would I still get the marks for 3b if I put down 6root(3/2) (which is identical to 3root6)?
For the quadrilateral question, what if you got the area of the trapezium right but you did 35/3 x 3 instead of 35/3 x 7 for the triangle. How many marks do think this will be? My overall answer was 186/6.
Original post by LukeB98
Perhaps not as bad as initially thought but I definitely think it was worse than last year's paper.

For the area question I gave a few solutions, the last attempt I did get 163/3 but I didn't cross the others out and I'm wondering the marking policy regarding this? The other attempts were incorrect.

Fact: Never cross anything out in an a-level maths paper. If you take multiple attempts in a question just clearly label attempt 1, attempt 2 etc. Examiners mark each attempt differently can consider the one that awards you the most mark. Do not cross anything out in a maths paper especially if you get two different answers and you don't know which one is correct.
Reply 133
Original post by haes
i don't see a reason why it shouldn't be? or maybe i'm being too hopeful
but honestly i'd be so annoyed because i did all the working out correctly :/

ikrrr same
Original post by oni176
Is there any chance of having 52 for a B at all?

I'm hoping they lower boundaries :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boyyo
ikrrr same

I emailed my teacher and she said that i would have lost two marks for an incorrect k and everything else is ecf so you probably lost the same as well if it was just one silly mistake like + instead - or something
Reply 136
Original post by mali473
I'm hoping they lower boundaries :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That paper was a bit difficult when considering that C1 is the 'easiest paper'
@Arsey , @TeeEm , @Puddles the Monkey
Any of you make S3 (Edexcel) unofficial MS? Its next week on 25th of May.
Or do you know anyone who does it for S3 exams?
If you found anyone next week (and remembered this message) let me know on 25th of May. Thanks!
In past papers I was averaging out at about 73/75

But for this I probably got 58/75 :frown:
(messed up the whole arithmetic sequence question sighs)
Original post by oni176
That paper was a bit difficult when considering that C1 is the 'easiest paper'

Tell me about it. I really wanted an A but I think I Got a B or C. Just need to put my head down for the next exams now.

Posted from TSR Mobile