The Student Room Group

AQA Environmental studies/science unit 1 exam

I just did my Unit 1 environmental science exam and honestly think I did terrible! I ran out of time towards the end which is irritating as I had no time to go through answers or fill in blanks I left😕 Hopefully the other units will bring my grade up though...
Did any of you do the exam too? If so how did you do?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah it wasn't the best, i only had a couple of minutes left for the last question.
Reply 2
Original post by QwertyBake
Yeah it wasn't the best, i only had a couple of minutes left for the last question.

Are you doing unit 3 and 4 this year as well?
Some of the questions werent so bad I guess, others I was too panicky to think clearly about
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I struggled for Thyme
Reply 4
What did everyone write for the 8 marker???
Reply 5
Original post by SFK537

I wrote down random things which popped into my head because of the time😂 i think i wrote about the ESS and LNRs and MNRs and national parks and education, goodness knows if i even read the question properly though, what did you write?
Reply 6
Original post by alexs98
I wrote down random things which popped into my head because of the time😂 i think i wrote about the ESS and LNRs and MNRs and national parks and education, goodness knows if i even read the question properly though, what did you write?

I wrote the same sort of thing thank God 😬 I spoke about SPA's, MNR's, SSSI's and then Green Belt zoning (is green belt zoning worth any credit? 😬)
Reply 7
Original post by SFK537
I wrote the same sort of thing thank God 😬 I spoke about SPA's, MNR's, SSSI's and then Green Belt zoning (is green belt zoning worth any credit? 😬)

Oh phew, hopefully we'll get a few marks for that! How did you do the maths question?
Reply 8
Original post by alexs98
Oh phew, hopefully we'll get a few marks for that! How did you do the maths question?

I'm not too sure, I remember my answer staring with a 5 if that helps 😂
Reply 9
Original post by SFK537
I'm not too sure, I remember my answer staring with a 5 if that helps 😂

Oo I think mine did too! It was like in the hundreds i think, I feel a bit more confident now haha thank you! Are you doing A2 too this year?
Reply 10
Original post by alexs98
Oo I think mine did too! It was like in the hundreds i think, I feel a bit more confident now haha thank you! Are you doing A2 too this year?

Oh crap I think I brought my answer down from the hundreds to 50 something because I thought it made no sense 😂 At least the working out is there...

And nope AS, definitely carrying it on next year though
I did this exam today as well, I honestly thought it was a great paper but now I've said that I probably won't improve on last years grade :')
Original post by SFK537

I wrote about designations, ESS, RSPB, education and some other stuff but honestly I was just writing everything that came to my head hoping to get the 8 marks :')
Also I think I got like 582 or something similar to that on the maths question, is that sort of what anyone else got?
I did this exam today! I found the start of it really awkward, especially all of the stuff about the ladybirds and caterpillars idk. I was definitely running out of time too! I left some questions and had like 2 minutes to rush back and throw in an answer! For the maths one, I got 582 or something like that, and for the 8 marker I spoke about legal designations, zoos & seedbanks, and captive breeding? What did you all put for the one about changing abiotic factors on grassland?
Reply 15
Oh God I'm such an idiot -_- d'you think having all of the correct workings out and then the wrong answer will get me the mark or not, it was a 1 marker so I don't think so:////
Reply 16
Original post by josaltzman
I did this exam today! I found the start of it really awkward, especially all of the stuff about the ladybirds and caterpillars idk. I was definitely running out of time too! I left some questions and had like 2 minutes to rush back and throw in an answer! For the maths one, I got 582 or something like that, and for the 8 marker I spoke about legal designations, zoos & seedbanks, and captive breeding? What did you all put for the one about changing abiotic factors on grassland?

Would saying succession and development of vegetation such as trees would decrease the levels of sunlight on the ground/floor we creditable??? + decreased wind velocity?
Original post by SFK537
Would saying succession and development of vegetation such as trees would decrease the levels of sunlight on the ground/floor we creditable??? + decreased wind velocity?

Yeah, that sounds good!! Tbh I had like 2 minutes at the end to answer this question and so I barely managed to talk about abiotic factors at all! I also didn't know if we were meant to talk about succession or something else :s-smilie: I ended up saying D.O.M might change the edaphic factors and then oak trees would become the dominant species, changing the light intensity and maybe pH, but I completely forgot about things like humidity and wind velocity! Ah well, hopefully I'll pick up 1 or 2 :biggrin:
Original post by SFK537
Oh God I'm such an idiot -_- d'you think having all of the correct workings out and then the wrong answer will get me the mark or not, it was a 1 marker so I don't think so:////

Maybe if you have a really nice examiner :biggrin: I wouldn't worry too much though! It's only 1 mark!
Reply 19
Original post by josaltzman
Maybe if you have a really nice examiner :biggrin: I wouldn't worry too much though! It's only 1 mark!

Haha hopefully 😬 And that's true!

Quick Reply