The Student Room Group

C2 Binomial Expansion

Hi there,

I've never seen this type of question before and I am very confused...

So I know that nC0 = 1
and that nC1 = n

So I have 1 + n(x/4) as the first two terms

I have no idea where go from there - This topic was only recently taught and I'm not very good at it, so if anyone could provide a detailed explanation on how to tackle this question I would be most grateful.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by CrazyFool229
Hi there,

I've never seen this type of question before and I am very confused...

So I know that nC0 = 1
and that nC1 = n

So I have 1 + n(x/4) as the first two terms

I have no idea where go from there - This topic was only recently taught and I'm not very good at it, so if anyone could provide a detailed explanation on how to tackle this question I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Look in your formula booklet, you should see:

(1+x)n=1+nx+n(n1)2x2+n(n1)(n2)3!x3+\displaystyle (1+x)^n = 1 + nx + \frac{n(n-1)}{2}x^2 + \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{3!} x^3 + \cdots

To expand your formula, just replace all the places where you see an xx with x4\frac{x}{4}, so:

(1+x4)n=1+n(x4)+n(n1)2(x4)2+n(n1)(n2)3!(x4)3+\displaystyle \left(1 +\frac{x}{4}\right)^n = 1 + n\left(\frac{x}{4}\right) + \frac{n(n-1)}{2} \left(\frac{x}{4}\right)^2 + \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{3!} \left(\frac{x}{4}\right)^3 + \cdots
Original post by Zacken

(1+x)n=1+nx+n(n1)2x2+n(n1)(n2)3!x3+\displaystyle (1+x)^n = 1 + nx + \frac{n(n-1)}{2}x^2 + \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{3!} x^3 + \cdots

To expand your formula, just replace all the places where you see an xx with x4\frac{x}{4}, so:

(1+x4)n=1+n(x4)+n(n1)2(x4)2+n(n1)(n2)3!(x4)3+\displaystyle \left(1 +\frac{x}{4}\right)^n = 1 + n\left(\frac{x}{4}\right) + \frac{n(n-1)}{2} \left(\frac{x}{4}\right)^2 + \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{3!} \left(\frac{x}{4}\right)^3 + \cdots

Wow, thanks again Zacken. Don't know what I would do without your wisdom.

So is there a chance of them asking to expand (2+X/4) then? Would the formula still apply? If so, would it be the same substitution?
Reply 3
Wow, thanks again Zacken. Don't know what I would do without your wisdom.

So is there a chance of them asking to expand (2+X/4) then? Would the formula still apply? If so, would it be the same substitution?

Not quite, the substitution only works with (1+f(x))n(1+f(x))^n i.e: there needs to be a 1 in the first term of the bracket.

But there's a sneaky trick around this.

If you had (2+x4)n(2 + \frac{x}{4})^n - factor out a 2: (2(1+x8))n=2n(1+x8)n\bigg(2\left(1 + \frac{x}{8}\right)\bigg)^n = 2^n (1 + \frac{x}{8})^n.

Then you can just expand the latter fraction using the substitution of replacing wherever you see xx wuth x8\frac{x}{8} and then multiply all the terms of your series by 2n2^n.

i.e: (2+x4)n=2n(1+n(x8)+n(n1)2(x8)2+n(n1)(n2)3!(x8)3+)\displaystyle (2+ \frac{x}{4})^n = 2^n \bigg(1 + n\left(\frac{x}{8}\right) + \frac{n(n-1)}{2} \left(\frac{x}{8}\right)^2 + \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{3!} \left(\frac{x}{8}\right)^3 + \cdots\bigg)
Original post by Zacken
Not quite, the substitution only works with (1+f(x))n(1+f(x))^n i.e: there needs to be a 1 in the first term of the bracket.

If you had (2+x4)n(2 + \frac{x}{4})^n - factor out a 2: (2(1+x8))n=2n(1+x8)n\bigg(2\left(1 + \frac{x}{8}\right)\bigg)^n = 2^n (1 + \frac{x}{8})^n.

Then you can just expand the latter fraction using the substitution of replacing wherever you see xx wuth x8\frac{x}{8} and then multiply all the terms of your series by 2n2^n.

i.e: (2+x4)n=2n(1+n(x8)+n(n1)2(x8)2+n(n1)(n2)3!(x8)3+)\displaystyle (2+ \frac{x}{4})^n = 2^n \bigg(1 + n\left(\frac{x}{8}\right) + \frac{n(n-1)}{2} \left(\frac{x}{8}\right)^2 + \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{3!} \left(\frac{x}{8}\right)^3 + \cdots\bigg)

Thanks again!
I would rep you but it isn't letting me :frown:
Reply 5
Thanks again!
I would rep you but it isn't letting me :frown:

Don't worry about it. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken

Go to exam solutions
Reply 7
Original post by Naughty1
Go to exam solutions

Compelling.
Original post by Zacken

shouldn't you be revising :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by tinkerbella~
shouldn't you be revising :smile:

That's for nerds. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
That's for nerds. :tongue:

you are a nerd :smile:
Original post by tinkerbella~
you are a nerd :smile:

Yes he is
Reply 12