The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry Unit 1 2016 predictions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucyMDC
Carbon cycle might come up as it didnt in the b1 test

I didn't think we did carbon cycle for chemistry. Do you mean limestone cycle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lunaticash19995
Do any of you guys think that limestone will be a big topic in the paper? There are taking it out from the new spec so maybe it will?

I hope so. Limestone cycle is my forte.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If its anything like B1 I would start revising economics and PE
Can someone remind me on the conditions for hardening/hydrogenation, hydration and cracking. Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HonourableDorito
Can someone remind me on the conditions for hardening/hydrogenation, hydration and cracking. Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

For hardening, I believe it is a Nickel Catalyst, hydrogen and 60 degree temperature. For cracking, high temperatures are needed to vaporise the oil fractions so you need a high temperature and also a hot catalyst.

Don't trust me completely, I was doing this from memory to test myself!
Reply 25
can you post pictures of the printout you have??
Reply 26
Original post by Eldronyx
For hardening, I believe it is a Nickel Catalyst, hydrogen and 60 degree temperature. For cracking, high temperatures are needed to vaporise the oil fractions so you need a high temperature and also a hot catalyst.

Powdered Aluminium Oxide is the catalyst for cracking at around 400-700 degrees celsius. Perfect answer for hardening :smile:
Reply 27

Posted from TSR Mobile

For Hydration, it's just reacting an alkene with steam/water vapour at high temperature and high pressure
Original post by Eldronyx

Thanks, is hardening just hydration but for vegetable oils?

Posted from TSR Mobile
what could they ask about the miller-urey experiment for a 6-marker, tho?
Original post by snickersbar
what could they ask about the miller-urey experiment for a 6-marker, tho?

How it was done and why it wasn't accepted
Thanks, is hardening just hydration but for vegetable oils?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, I didn't know that hydration was a thing until you mentioned it! Can't really answer your question though, but hardening is when you make a vegetable oil into a solid and it also becomes more saturated. Hope this helps : ^ )
Original post by LauEllul
How it was done and why it wasn't accepted

What would you say for why it wasnt accepted?
Original post by fauziaa
What would you say for why it wasnt accepted?

Probably the idea that we dont know how the amino acids formed cells and if the gasses used was actually what the atmosphere was like.

tbh though wasn't it only Wgeners continental drift that wasn't accepted?
Someone tell me the limestone cycle in a 6 marker please?? And a 6 mark answer about metals. Many thanks.
Has anyone got a perfect 6 mark question on fractional distillation? It would help alot!
Original post by Appazap
Probably the idea that we dont know how the amino acids formed cells and if the gasses used was actually what the atmosphere was like.

tbh though wasn't it only Wgeners continental drift that wasn't accepted?

The Miller-Urey experiment supported the theory of a ‘primordial soup’, the idea that complex chemicals needed for living things to develop could be produced naturally on the early Earth
Original post by rebeccamaria
Has anyone got a perfect 6 mark question on fractional distillation? It would help alot!

so here's the process of fractional distillation:
- the crude oil is heated and vaporised
- it is fed into the fractionating column
- the gases rise and cool
- the gases condense when they reach their boiling points
- and are collected as liquids at different levels
- they are collected at different fractions as they all have different boiling points
- small chain hydrocarbons collected at top (where it is cool)
- long chain hydrocarbons collected at bottom (hotter)
Original post by lilacpotato
My teacher is predicting a big question on metals and maybe a six marker on quarrying

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you say "quarrying" do you mean of limestone???
Original post by thehaskone
any ideas, topics, questions, grade bouandries or anything that may come up in this years aqa chem unit 1 exam?
share your thoughts here :smile:

heres a teachers predicted subjects in them unit 1 :smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gp-YkQPwRg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending