The Student Room Group

Should I go the gym whilst studying for a levels?

I'm really depressed, I just eat and eat, I have gained so much weight in the past 3 years and I am very overweight. Should I go to the gym whilst studying for me a level exams in three weeks or just focus on my education?

Scroll to see replies

if you think you are ready for the exam then why not :smile::smile:
Reply 2
I'm quite behind actually :frown:
Well if you think you'll have enough time to study then both, else just study for now and gym after exams are up.
If you are behind i certainly wouldn't recommend it! Maybe start in summer:smile:
what are you studying?????
You will probably find that there is time, it is unlikely you will revise from the moment you get up to the moment you go to sleep, just make an hour a day to de stress and go to the gym. It'll probably be beneficial to your studies
Acting like you will be at the gym 24/7
If you're really behind, just do situps and squats in your room till your exams out finished. Helps with toning the stomach and butt.
Just walk a lot and drink a lot of water, you don't even need to go to the gym.

You go to the gym to enlarge your muscles, you don't go there to lose weight.
If you go to the gym for cardio (best way to lose weight) you're just wasting your money. You can run on the street , park if you feel shy or insecure or just walk...

Water + Cardio = Weight loss
Gym+Protein= Larger Muscles.
Working out while studying is super beneficial, do it in a study break! It doesnt have to be an hour long - just get up and start moving, any increase in activity will be beneficial no matter how small. It'll help with memorising things and stuff!!
Reply 9
Original post by Arvin Bhambra
what are you studying?????

Biology, chemistry and economics at A2
Reply 10
Would it be better if I watch work out videos on my laptop such as the channel fitness blender and do a workout for an hour instead?
ofc yes, go !

not only will it help you lose weight and become strong but it'll help you relieve stress and help you forget about exams just for a short period of time :smile:

but ofc, its up to you in the end

what you feel is best! :smile:

gl with exams though
i think it is better to do a mixture of both tbh
Reply 13
Original post by mariam687
ofc yes, go !

not only will it help you lose weight and become strong but it'll help you relieve stress and help you forget about exams just for a short period of time :smile:

but ofc, its up to you in the end

what you feel is best! :smile:

gl with exams though

Thank you so much :smile: I think that's what I will do
how you finding the A2s?
Reply 15
mate everytime i get an answer right, i do 1 pushup, very beneficial for the pectoral muscles. gets me pumped for the exam
Original post by cutelady
I'm really depressed, I just eat and eat, I have gained so much weight in the past 3 years and I am very overweight. Should I go to the gym whilst studying for me a level exams in three weeks or just focus on my education?

No, you should go to a brothel while studying for your a levels
go after you finish your exams
The gym can help you let off some steam after an exam, although if you're not already into it just go for a calming walk to get your head right instead. I went to the gym 4 times per week throughout my exams (or I'd have withdrawal symptoms) but I'd recommend anything that you find cathartic tbh.
Reply 19
I go to the gym regularly and I find it a great help.
I enjoy going first thing in the morning; get up, work out, come home and shower and then I am set in a positive way for the rest of my day to do revision.
It's also beneficial in the evenings, when I have been revising all day and my brain is feeling a little over loaded, the gym is a great way to have a productive break from revision.
I find it really hard to eat healthily, especially during study leave when I am in the house, procrastinating and opening the fridge every 10 minutes! That's why I find going to the gym kind of like a stress relief.
If your feeling depressed, especially about school/exams then exercising allows you to let off steam, and allow your mind to have a break from all the stress.
It's also a great idea to attend a gym class, where other people attend and you can socialize with others - its a great feeling after sitting alone studying all day long! It's surprising how it uplifts you so much.
And all this can be done as often as you like, as long as you are getting the work in. Nobody should be sat from 9am until 6pm revising with minimal breaks. It should be an enjoyable process, you're studying subjects that you are passionate about, so learn to enjoy your study time as well as learning to enjoy exercise so that you always have a positive mind during this stressful time!
Hope this helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest