The Student Room Group

Maths Ocr 2016 C1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ozil5
What do people think 54-57 out of 72 will be UMS and grade wise. I really should have done better.

If you're lucky, taking into account that this was the hardest C1 paper, your grade should a low A or a high B, but most likely a B. UMS wise, somewhere around 80, but again, probably 76-80
What would 70ish marks be in UMS. Hate to gloat but IMO that was far easier than most of the past papers. Lost 1-2 marks on the second to last question, but apart from that I'm fine I think. Does AS grade count towards A2?
Now it is time to panic about C2 :afraid:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KevinGu123456789
For the question about the circle being wholly inside the other, did anyone else get 0<r<√45 - 5?
Most people got 0<r<2, but I thought that this may not be right

Yes that's what I got, don't know where they got 2 from
Reply 363
Original post by callumhowieson
What would 70ish marks be in UMS. Hate to gloat but IMO that was far easier than most of the past papers. Lost 1-2 marks on the second to last question, but apart from that I'm fine I think. Does AS grade count towards A2?

Only C3 and C4 counts whether you get A* or not. Overall you need 240 UMS in AS maths and 480 UMS overall. For A* average 90UMS in C3 and C4
Original post by SGHD26716
Only C3 and C4 counts whether you get A* or not. Overall you need 240 UMS in AS maths and 480 UMS overall. For A* average 90UMS in C3 and C4

Original post by Mattyreds99
Yes that's what I got, don't know where they got 2 from

In case you want it. Technocrat Notes have Finally an apple appstore
app yes!! It has really got me to stop stressing about these hard new spec exams.

Applehttps://itunes.apple.com/us/app/technocrat-notes/id1111953817?ls=1&mt=8

Googlehttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Technocratnotes.a pp&hl=en_GB

okay thanks
Original post by nickg15b
In case you want it. Technocrat Notes have Finally an apple appstore
app yes!! It has really got me to stop stressing about these hard new spec exams.

Applehttps://itunes.apple.com/us/app/technocrat-notes/id1111953817?ls=1&mt=8

Googlehttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Technocratnotes.a pp&hl=en_GB

I'll take a look, thanks!
Reply 367
Original post by LewisClothier
you literally just commented on an OCR thread about your WJEC course...

Spoiler

I said that to him earlier. He told me to be quiet.

70/72 would be a minimum of 94UMS (going off June 14, which has the highest boundaries). Most likely more on this paper. AS counts towards A2, for an A grade at A2, 480/600 UMS are required across your six modules.
Original post by Synesthesia
I'd imagine it to be 50-52 imo for an A.
It was harder than jan 11, which was 54 for an A.

Thank you for the response. I really do hope you are correct :biggrin:
Original post by djamesh
70/72 would be a minimum of 94UMS (going off June 14, which has the highest boundaries). Most likely more on this paper. AS counts towards A2, for an A grade at A2, 480/600 UMS are required across your six modules.

That's pretty good I guess. do you get more UMS per mark in C3/C4 because they are harder units or not?
I said that to him earlier. He told me to be quiet.

ah well... some people aye :wink::tongue:
I think I'll worry about the exact marks I have to get at A2 even though c3 and 4 are probably much harder than c1 and 2. Sometimes I find c2 easier though as you have a calculator XD.
Original post by djamesh

What UMS would you reckon 45/72 would get you on this paper today?
you literally just commented on an OCR thread about your WJEC course...

Spoiler

And he's wrong... Circles do come up for OCR!! 😂😂😂😂
Original post by AnonUK21
Thank you for the response. I really do hope you are correct :biggrin:

Well, shots of windex are also an option.
That was a difficult paper, but actually quite interesting for once!
I feel it was only difficult because you had to really apply your knowledge but i feel happy with how I did :h:
Original post by Mynamesjf21
What UMS would you reckon 45/72 would get you on this paper today?

Really hard to say, my mate and I predict 58/59 for an A, so I'd guess 45 would be D/low C,so maybe 50-60? Older papers would've been D/E but this paper was awful
(edited 7 years ago)
Please sign this petition to lower the grade boundaries! :smile:
https://www.change.org/p/ocr-examination-board-lower-the-grade-boundaries-on-the-ocr-core-1-mathematics-paper?recruiter=544001411&utm_source=petitions_show_components_action_panel_wrapper&utm_medium=copylink

Original post by alice.ronalene
I had such high hopes as well 😂😂lol

Original post by Misunderstood06
and how do u do that?

let the gradient function: f(x) or dy/dx = 2... then solve for all values of x, cancel the ones already used

Original post by Will487
For the first part it asked you for the tangent at point A to the circle.
You work out A through rearranging the circle formula (10,0) and then plug this into your line equation as this is the point your tangent you're looking for crosses.

I.e y =mx +c
therefore, 0 = 2(10) + c
therefore 0 = 20 + c
therefore c = -20

so the equation of the tangent was y = 2x -20, (since you've already worked out the gradient - 2).

For the second part it asked you for the tangent on the circle which was parallel to the first tangent (y= 2x-20). Obviously this would have to be on the other side of the circle, since they have to have the same gradient. So m = 2 again.
We know A (10,0), and we know Centre (4,3) so we can realise that the difference between the points makes up the radius, so add this difference again onto the centre and you will find the other side of the circle since it would be the length of the diameter, lets call this P.

Difference in x between A and C = -6, so x value of P, = 4(x value of Centre)-6 = -2. Difference in y between A and C = +3, therefore y value of P = 3+3 = 6. So coordinates of point P = (-2,6).

We know the gradient of the second tangent (2) since it is parallel to the first, and we now know the point it passes through, being (-2,6).
so, y= mx+c
therefore, 6 = 2(-2) + c,
therefore 6 = -4 +c
So 10 =c
As such, putting things together, the equation of the second tangent was y = 2x +10

Original post by RukhsarAhmed
i seriously think i got 3 marks on that entire paper!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original post by alam13
how many ums would 63 marks be.....hard to say but any guestimations??

Original post by RukhsarAhmed
i seriously think i got 3 marks on that entire paper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original post by Will487
I believe the first part was 3 marks, and the second 2.

Looking at the unofficial mark scheme I think I got around 59-61 depending on method marks. What UMS do you think this could be?

Does anyone have the paper?

They work boundaries out retroactively, if this was truly a much harder paper the marks will reflect that and boundaries will be lower.

Quick Reply

Latest