The Student Room Group

Can someone explain electrolysis and fermentation briefly please?

Hi, could someone give me a brief explanation on how fermentation and electrolysis work, thanks :smile:
Original post by Gingy2
Hi, could someone give me a brief explanation on how fermentation and electrolysis work, thanks :smile:

Electrolysis - Compounds are either melted or dissolved, and two electrodes are connected to a battery so that a current runs between the electrodes. The electrodes are placed in the melt/solution. The negative ions (eg sulfate ions, SO42-) in the melt/solution are attracted to the positive electrode and vice versa.

Fermentation - Enzymes in yeast use the glucose in plants to produce ethanol and oxygen, the former which can be used for fuel.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Ok, thank you that's a great help, I understand it now :smile:

Original post by leafcannon
Electrolysis - Compounds are either melted or dissolved, and two electrodes are connected to a battery so that a current runs between the electrodes. The electrodes are placed in the melt/solution. The negative ions (eg sulfate ions, SO42-) in the melt/solution are attracted to the positive electrode and vice versa.

Fermentation - Enzymes in yeast use the glucose in plants to produce ethanol and oxygen, the former which can be used for fuel.

Quick Reply

Latest