The Student Room Group

RSSO1

Hey guys, does any one have any predictions as to what is going to come up in the religious studies aqa ethics exam? soz i meant RSS08
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
For topic 1 patterns of membership
Topic 2 faith schools
Topic 3 facilities
Reply 2
Original post by muntilol
For topic 1 patterns of membership
Topic 2 faith schools
Topic 3 facilities

I agree with these predictions.What do you think they'll ask about faith schools though? I know that there has been a question on the expansion, do you think the focus will be on their role?
Reply 3
Original post by kholland
I agree with these predictions.What do you think they'll ask about faith schools though? I know that there has been a question on the expansion, do you think the focus will be on their role?

i think they're likely to have a question on the role of faith schools rather than reasons for expansion, but im not too fussed because i dont think im going to do topic 2 in the exam.
Reply 4
i think they're likely to have a question on the role of faith schools rather than reasons for expansion, but im not too fussed because i dont think im going to do topic 2 in the exam.

Ah right, what do you think will be asked for both topic 1 and 3 then? I'm hoping that topic 1 won't be too heavily focused on statistics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Ah right, what do you think will be asked for both topic 1 and 3 then? I'm hoping that topic 1 won't be too heavily focused on statistics.

I think for topic 1
AO1: Examine the changing patterns of membership within Christanity.
AO2: 'Membership within Christianity has lost its importance' how far do you agree?

Topic 3
AO1: Examine the times and facilities needed to practice religion in the UK
AO2:'the difficulties faced with practicing religion make it impossible for people to follow a religion' Assess this claim

but thats only guesses based on past questions, we'll see whether im right or not tomorrow.
how would you structure the topic one essay??
Reply 6
I think for topic 1
AO1: Examine the changing patterns of membership within Christanity.
AO2: 'Membership within Christianity has lost its importance' how far do you agree?

Topic 3
AO1: Examine the times and facilities needed to practice religion in the UK
AO2:'the difficulties faced with practicing religion make it impossible for people to follow a religion' Assess this claim

but thats only guesses based on past questions, we'll see whether im right or not tomorrow.
how would you structure the topic one essay??

Oh wow, that question for topic 1 is awful. There's so little you could talk about relative to the other things they could ask.

For topic 1 I would start off by giving an idea of the general trend i.e. membership of Christianity is declining. Then probably talk about the various ways membership is measured, a bit about baptisms and add in some figures from Brierley's Religious Trends report about how though declining it can be argued that membership has changed to be that of committed membership rather than general (e.g. by 2015, 5% of the population were attending Church, showing not just membership, but committed membership to their faith.). Then of course go onto the stuff about new forms of Church, Fresh Expressions and how Brierley says that in 2006 25% of all churches grew... That kind of thing. To be honest I'm not even sure if this kind of stuff is even about membership?

For the AO2 I'd probably mention how some people favour the 'pick and mix' approach to religion so being a committed member isn't important. With the new forms of Church, membership doesn't have a requirement to be committed, e.g. Bread Church and how it doesn't require regular attendance. I'd probably mention stuff about private worship and believing without belonging. Maybe talk about how membership is important in maintaining the Christian community in context of the declining numbers of members and so on.
Reply 7
Oh wow, that question for topic 1 is awful. There's so little you could talk about relative to the other things they could ask.

For topic 1 I would start off by giving an idea of the general trend i.e. membership of Christianity is declining. Then probably talk about the various ways membership is measured, a bit about baptisms and add in some figures from Brierley's Religious Trends report about how though declining it can be argued that membership has changed to be that of committed membership rather than general (e.g. by 2015, 5% of the population were attending Church, showing not just membership, but committed membership to their faith.). Then of course go onto the stuff about new forms of Church, Fresh Expressions and how Brierley says that in 2006 25% of all churches grew... That kind of thing. To be honest I'm not even sure if this kind of stuff is even about membership?

For the AO2 I'd probably mention how some people favour the 'pick and mix' approach to religion so being a committed member isn't important. With the new forms of Church, membership doesn't have a requirement to be committed, e.g. Bread Church and how it doesn't require regular attendance. I'd probably mention stuff about private worship and believing without belonging. Maybe talk about how membership is important in maintaining the Christian community in context of the declining numbers of members and so on.

I think your AO1 is pretty good, i think it answers the question well. For AO2 i think your points are good but AO2 is mainly about writing style and being able to form an argument/ debate, so hopefully we dont mess that up in the exam.

Good luck!! hopefully the predicted questions come up!

Spoiler

Reply 8
I think your AO1 is pretty good, i think it answers the question well. For AO2 i think your points are good but AO2 is mainly about writing style and being able to form an argument/ debate, so hopefully we dont mess that up in the exam.

Good luck!! hopefully the predicted questions come up!

Spoiler

Thank you! Good luck to you too! :h:
Reply 9
@muntilol Hey, hope the exam went well for you! I can't believe that all your predictions came up!
@muntilol Hey, hope the exam went well for you! I can't believe that all your predictions came up!

IKR!! i opened the paper and i was so happy i planned all of the questions before hand. But i still cant believe i predicted the AO2 questions correctly.

How did you find the paper??
IKR!! i opened the paper and i was so happy i planned all of the questions before hand. But i still cant believe i predicted the AO2 questions correctly.

How did you find the paper??

Haha! You have a gift - remind me to ask you again next year!

The paper was so good but only because of your predictions, I spent the night before just going over what you predicted so I was solid for the exam. Hope we come out with As in August!

Thanks again! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending