The Student Room Group

C1 aqa - how are we feeling?

Just wondering what everyone is feeling like for tomorrow? Any topics you're still struggling on? Any topics you hope will appear on the exam? What grade are you hoping for? :smile:

Fingers crossed that underage drinking doesn't come up tomorrow..Really hope this exam has some more content on!

And can anyone explain fermentation to me? Its still a weak spot in my knowledge and I'm trying to cram before tomorrow morning...I'm so stupid, I know..:/
Original post by emilyjean113
Just wondering what everyone is feeling like for tomorrow? Any topics you're still struggling on? Any topics you hope will appear on the exam? What grade are you hoping for? :smile:

Fingers crossed that underage drinking doesn't come up tomorrow..Really hope this exam has some more content on!

And can anyone explain fermentation to me? Its still a weak spot in my knowledge and I'm trying to cram before tomorrow morning...I'm so stupid, I know..:/

Fermentation is when enzymes in yeast turn a plant's glucose into ethanol. Ethanol can be used for fuel and...

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by emilyjean113

I feel a lot less prepared for C1 than B1...which isn't a good sign since I wasn't pleased with what I wrote in the biology paper :redface: I'm hoping for an A* though because I'm doing it next year :biggrin:
I used to hate it, but now I'm hoping for a straight up question about why earthquakes happen or something like that :tongue: The limestone cycle would be a good 6 marker too.

Fermentation
glucose in plants is broken down by yeast to produce dilute ethanol and carbon dioxide :smile:

EDIT: @emilyjean113 sorry I made a mistake with the equation!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm generally fine with C1 but there's one thing I still don't have a lot of points for.
Can someone please provide a few reasons why scientists cannot accurately predict earthquakes?
Original post by M451
I'm generally fine with C1 but there's one thing I still don't have a lot of points for.
Can someone please provide a few reasons why scientists cannot accurately predict earthquakes?

Scientists simply don't have enough knowledge of what's happening inside the Earth.
Reply 5
Im glad it is in the morning, i prefer morning exams. And i'm hoping to get a solid a grade :h: chemistry is my favourite science
Original post by surina16
I feel a lot less prepared for C1 than B1...which isn't a good sign since I wasn't pleased with what I wrote in the biology paper :redface: I'm hoping for an A* though because I'm doing it next year :biggrin:
I used to hate it, but now I'm hoping for a straight up question about why earthquakes happen or something like that :tongue: The limestone cycle would be a good 6 marker too.

Fermentation
glucose in plants is broken down by yeast to produce ethanol and water :smile:

OH THANK YOU!

Im hoping to do next year too - its by far my favourite science but I'm also doing biology and the sixth form I want to go to want a minimum of an A grade although I was close to A*'s in my mocks...I am feeling a bit nervous for this one but a long bath and a good sleep should make me feel better for the morning! :smile:
Reply 7
Can someone briefly explain the Miller Urey? That's probably my weakest section in C1.

Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by M451

When earthquakes occur, the movement from the tectonic plates are sudden and unpredictable, so scientists can only predict when an earthquake is likely to happen (that's all we need to know for c1)
Original post by LaliG
Can someone briefly explain the Miller Urey? That's probably my weakest section in C1.

Thanks

I didn't even know this was on the spec until this afternoon...might try and find a youtube clip...sorry i cant help :frown:
You maybe prepared but can you state two features of a private limited company. I know this isn't on the syllabus but after the other day, anything could happen.
Reply 11
Original post by M451

Because not all tremors necessarily mean an eruption. The previous mark scheme for this question :

4(a)(ii)any one from:
not all tremors (smallearthquakes) indicate that thevolcano will erupt
scientists cannot monitorwhat is happening below theEarth’s crust or in the Earth’smantle

ignore tremors (smallearthquakes) are random / haveno pattern
ignore difficult to predict / noevidence / no proofallow these tremors (smallearthquakes) may be false alarms
Original post by danielwinstanley
you maybe prepared but can you state two features of a private limited company. I know this isn't on the syllabus but after the other day, anything could happen.

omg **** would go down if that came up...criii...B1 was such a joke...Im gunna have to work so much harder for B2 and B3 now so that I can get my A..:/
(edited 7 years ago)
Miller Urey experiment was to see how early life started. Hence they wanted to see if amino acids will be produced. They used hydrocarbons, ammonia and water and by passing lightning throught it they created amino acids

Also ask me anything if you are struggling with
Reply 14
Original post by leafcannon
Scientists simply don't have enough knowledge of what's happening inside the Earth.

Original post by k.m.b
When earthquakes occur, the movement from the tectonic plates are sudden and unpredictable, so scientists can only predict when an earthquake is likely to happen (that's all we need to know for c1)

Original post by 2gee
Because not all tremors necessarily mean an eruption. The previous mark scheme for this question :

4(a)(ii)any one from:
not all tremors (smallearthquakes) indicate that thevolcano will erupt
scientists cannot monitorwhat is happening below theEarth’s crust or in the Earth’smantle

ignore tremors (smallearthquakes) are random / haveno pattern
ignore difficult to predict / noevidence / no proofallow these tremors (smallearthquakes) may be false alarms

Many thanks everyone, I feel a lot better about it now :smile:

You maybe prepared but can you state two features of a private limited company. I know this isn't on the syllabus but after the other day, anything could happen.

Since I might as well get started with business:
- Limited liability -> Owners legally separate from the business so their personal assets are not at risk if the business falls into debt.
- Shares can only be sold when all of the current shareholders have agreed. They are not listed on the stock exchange.

:yep: when business studies comes in handy for once..
I can't wait for this to be over so I can focus on next week exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LaliG

Thanks

Earth's early atmosphere consisted of hydrocarbons, ammonia and lightning (amongs other things). Primordial soup theory stated that lightning struck these, causing a chemical reaction between gases, resulting in amino acids being formed which combined to make organic matter, which evolved into life. Miller and Urey did an experiment mixing elements/compounds from the Earth's early atmosphere: water, ammonia, methane and hydrogen. It was heated to produce water vapour, then electric sparks were passed through. This represented what was believed to be the gases in the early atmosphere and lightning. After a week, amino acids were formed, which are the basic building blocks of proteins, from which organic matter is formed which can evolve into simple living organisms.

However, the experiment doesn't prove life began as amino acids are only building blocks of life, so would need to be arranged in a specific way to form proteins, which lead to life. The gases they used were also not the right gases - other gases e.g. volcanic gases stop the experiment from working.

Another theory for life beginning is life from an asteroid.

I think that's pretty much everything for miller-urea topic. Hope this helps!
Reply 18
Original post by Baggieboy1999
Earth's early atmosphere consisted of hydrocarbons, ammonia and lightning (amongs other things). Primordial soup theory stated that lightning struck these, causing a chemical reaction between gases, resulting in amino acids being formed which combined to make organic matter, which evolved into life. Miller and Urey did an experiment mixing elements/compounds from the Earth's early atmosphere: water, ammonia, methane and hydrogen. It was heated to produce water vapour, then electric sparks were passed through. This represented what was believed to be the gases in the early atmosphere and lightning. After a week, amino acids were formed, which are the basic building blocks of proteins, from which organic matter is formed which can evolve into simple living organisms.

However, the experiment doesn't prove life began as amino acids are only building blocks of life, so would need to be arranged in a specific way to form proteins, which lead to life. The gases they used were also not the right gases - other gases e.g. volcanic gases stop the experiment from working.

Another theory for life beginning is life from an asteroid.

I think that's pretty much everything for miller-urea topic. Hope this helps!

Yes that helped a lot! Thank you so much!

I do Business Studies anyway first time I am so happy I picked it saved me with that "Independant Companies" question. I might as well get my business books out as that's more likely to be on the papers than actual Chemistry maybe they would go for public/private limited companies or worker co - operatives next.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending