The Student Room Group

AQA AS English Lanaguage (ENGB1) Resit

Is there anyone else resitting ENGB1?
Does anyone have any tips for getting an A this year, any good choices for groupings or interesting things to say in relation to power/gender?

Scroll to see replies

Hey Hannah,

I'm resitting the exam too. I find it easier to just focus on one thing rather than last year. I want tips too in getting an A.
Reply 2
Original post by yoMilkSheikh
Hey Hannah,

I'm resitting the exam too. I find it easier to just focus on one thing rather than last year. I want tips too in getting an A.

Hey, I've found some model answers and useful resources for the exam!
https://mrswhelan.com/as-english-language/
5 days left for this! Not many here seem to be resting though.

I've completed a couple mocks, got one off an A in the last one so hopefully i'll improve into the A by monday.
Original post by Excuse Me!
5 days left for this! Not many here seem to be resting though.

I've completed a couple mocks, got one off an A in the last one so hopefully i'll improve into the A by monday.

What's your tip for top marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone got any more model answers for ENGB1 ? That include question 3!
Reply 6
Original post by yoMilkSheikh
Anyone got any more model answers for ENGB1 ? That include question 3!

http://english.wellacre.org/a-level/as-level/unit-1-examination
I haven't had a proper look yet, but I think a couple of these include question 3
If anyone's interested here's how I plan my answers (this was 2015 paper).

Scared for tomorrow now 😞 Think ivw got the hang of it. I've been getting As in Power and Bs in the groupings. Hopefully the groupings texts are nice. Last year I couldn't read the handwriting one!

Also my tutor said that you don't have to do every text but don't leave more than one out.

Also, the features you pick out (A01) is important. Aim for 5 bits of terminology each para.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thank you for that it was very helpful
Good luck for today!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think I've ever seen a more beautiful gender question
Reply 10
I didn't even read the gender question but omg how was the exam?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by conscscscsc
I don't think I've ever seen a more beautiful gender question

What did you write about?
Reply 12
Hey there, had the english resit today and went kind of awkwardly based on timings etc and was wondering if someone could help me out and give me some re-assurance on my general answering structure for the exam.

I've been predicted a B and working around an A/B all year round. But in the exam specifically on section A, I was too indulged in analysing the texts and creating links that I only managed to make two lengthy groupings of 3 texts in each group. There were a wide range of texts discussed (I used 5/6 different ones overall I think) and I discussed subgrouping and complexities at the end of each grouping. My question is that is it mandatory to have at least 3 groupings because from what I remember that was kind of seen as the average amount people (including myself) would achieve in practice exams etc. Or would I be completely limited and only achieve upto a certain band for only creating two groupings?
If anyone could get back to me that would be very helpful thanks (:
Original post by treej
Hey there, had the english resit today and went kind of awkwardly based on timings etc and was wondering if someone could help me out and give me some re-assurance on my general answering structure for the exam.

I've been predicted a B and working around an A/B all year round. But in the exam specifically on section A, I was too indulged in analysing the texts and creating links that I only managed to make two lengthy groupings of 3 texts in each group. There were a wide range of texts discussed (I used 5/6 different ones overall I think) and I discussed subgrouping and complexities at the end of each grouping. My question is that is it mandatory to have at least 3 groupings because from what I remember that was kind of seen as the average amount people (including myself) would achieve in practice exams etc. Or would I be completely limited and only achieve upto a certain band for only creating two groupings?

I did the same as you, I did two length groupings in lots of detail.
Reply 14
Original post by treej

Coming up to my exams, I used lots of different resources to check how to structure the best groupings. What they all had in common was that you must do at least 2 groupings. The fact that yours are detailed and used three texts mean you have nothing to worry about :smile: what were your two groupings if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by treej

As long as you didnt't spend the whole houre talking about A, D and F being persuasive and B, C and E's declarative sentences than you'll be fine. (You won't have been able to do that cause who has an hours worth of material on either.

You did sub groupings which is fine and im sure counts as separate groups. Although I changed my method for the exam, in the majority of my mocks i'd do a very general grouping (ie to inform, persuade) and then do much more specific sub groupings and I did fine so don't stress!
Reply 16
Original post by Hannah3105
Coming up to my exams, I used lots of different resources to check how to structure the best groupings. What they all had in common was that you must do at least 2 groupings. The fact that yours are detailed and used three texts mean you have nothing to worry about :smile: what were your two groupings if you don't mind me asking?

Ok that's kind of relieving thank you! From what I remember I formed my groups based on texts sharing entertainment factors and subgrouping relative to contextual factors of gender/society i think where I used AO1 terminology examples and linked to context of production/reception. I think the other group was based on humour/register and had a subgroup that stated purposes of persuading explaining the texts rhetoric features...

Reading that back makes me think I probably should have picked less broad groupings, probably would've managed to fit more groupings in that way tbh!
Reply 17
Original post by treej
Ok that's kind of relieving thank you! From what I remember I formed my groups based on texts sharing entertainment factors and subgrouping relative to contextual factors of gender/society i think where I used AO1 terminology examples and linked to context of production/reception. I think the other group was based on humour/register and had a subgroup that stated purposes of persuading explaining the texts rhetoric features...

Reading that back makes me think I probably should have picked less broad groupings, probably would've managed to fit more groupings in that way tbh!

That sounds really promising! I think you're in a good place to get an A. The examiners love subgroupings (I've read too many exemplar answers it's actually sad) and they also mark generously if you include differences between texts within the groupings. It seems like you've done really well :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Excuse Me!
As long as you didnt't spend the whole houre talking about A, D and F being persuasive and B, C and E's declarative sentences than you'll be fine. (You won't have been able to do that cause who has an hours worth of material on either.

You did sub groupings which is fine and im sure counts as separate groups. Although I changed my method for the exam, in the majority of my mocks i'd do a very general grouping (ie to inform, persuade) and then do much more specific sub groupings and I did fine so don't stress!

Thats pleasing to hear! Makes more sense following that structure though I guess, theres more safety in writing about more groupings than just having to put faith in only two!
Reply 19
Original post by Hannah3105
That sounds really promising! I think you're in a good place to get an A. The examiners love subgroupings (I've read too many exemplar answers it's actually sad) and they also mark generously if you include differences between texts within the groupings. It seems like you've done really well :smile:

Fingers crossed! Thank you so much for the help (:

Also another question if anyone could help: How much would an A in coursework from the AS module assist the overall grade? Does it have potential to move you up a grade overall say if you got a strong B in the exam would it provide leeway to move up to a weak A?

Quick Reply

Latest