The Student Room Group

National 5 Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by reveen
hey guys you have to add the double bond in for this question. this is because when you get the molecular formula you should be able to find the general formula by counting the number of the atoms in the molecules. (No.of Carbon atoms etc.) once you find this general formula you should be able to find what family of hydrocarbon that it belongs too. (Alkene or Alkane). This will then help you decide whether you should put in the double bond or not. Hope this helps :smile::smile:

Awww damn it haha but thanks for the explanation :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 561
Original post by Aaaaa01
Yea. Was that insulator? The ion bridge thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it was ion bridge
Original post by Aaaaa01
Set up 2 apparatus and for each experiment use one brand and another bran for the other experiment. Then heat it and the carbon dioxide will pass through the delivery tube into the test tube with lime water in it. Check what test tube is cloudier and the cloudier one will hav more carbon dioxide since lime water turns carbon dioxide cloudy.

I talked about the limewater experiment. I also talked about using a ph indicator as the one with the most carbon dioxide will be the most acidic. I also mentioned about a titration and my teacher said I was on the right tracks
Reply 563
Original post by Jay431
Yeah it was ion bridge

I've always been taught to call it a salt bridge, do you think I'll lose any marks for calling it that instead of 'ion bridge'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a question... For the Heat energy question what was the heat energy they give you in KJ

And also

Why didn't they have a double bond in the shortened structural formula for that question...
I was just following what it put for me, Am I just supposed to look at it and put a double bond ? If I did it wouldn't replicate the structural formula they gave us
Reply 565
Hey guys for the battery question in paper 2. I wrote electrolyte. i am feeling pretty confident that this is the correct answer. what are your opinions?
For the Heat energy question there were two methods, method A and B. What did you pick and why ?
Reply 567
Original post by Ethan100
I have a question... For the Heat energy question what was the heat energy they give you in KJ

And also

Why didn't they have a double bond in the shortened structural formula for that question...
I was just following what it put for me, Am I just supposed to look at it and put a double bond ? If I did it wouldn't replicate the structural formula they gave us

You should know that there is a double bond because the number of bonds carbon forms is four. But in the molecular formula there was not enough atoms to join with the molecule indicating that there is a double bond. If you look at a previous post i have explained it thoroughly
Original post by reveen
You should know that there is a double bond because the number of bonds carbon forms is four. But in the molecular formula there was not enough atoms to join with the molecule indicating that there is a double bond. If you look at a previous post i have explained it thoroughly

Isn't it compulsory to include double and triple bond signs into shortened structural formula?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 569
For the Heat energy question there were two methods, method A and B. What did you pick and why ?

i picked method A as in method B the mass of the spirit burner is reduced more as we have to wait until it is lit and then put under the copper can meaning that in method b more of the alcohol is used. Therefore method A is more accurate.
Reply 570
Original post by Abbyy1234
Isn't it compulsory to include double and triple bond signs into shortened structural formula?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it is depending on what hydrocarbon. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 571

And also

Pretty sure the heat released was 23
Original post by Abbyy1234

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats what Im trying to say...
For example if it was the other way around if they said to write the short structural formula we would lose marks if we missed out the double bonds. I know the chemistry involved when writing the full structural formula so I was just copying what I was given. I understand why its a double bond though
Original post by reveen
i picked method A as in method B the mass of the spirit burner is reduced more as we have to wait until it is lit and then put under the copper can meaning that in method b more of the alcohol is used. Therefore method A is more accurate.

Yeah that's what I did too, You are losing Mass even before the experiment has actually started which will result in inaccurate results...
Reply 574
Original post by reveen
Hey guys for the battery question in paper 2. I wrote electrolyte. i am feeling pretty confident that this is the correct answer. what are your opinions?

I put electrolyte too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 575
For example if it was the other way around if they said to write the short structural formula we would lose marks if we missed out the double bonds. I know the chemistry involved when writing the full structural formula so I was just copying what I was given. I understand why its a double bond though

so then what are you confused about then if you knew it had a double bond?

It's so annoying though because all these little 1 mark answers are starting to add up and I'm freaking out now :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Puppo
Pretty sure the heat released was 23

Reply 578

was it 23 i am pretty sure u got the wrong answer
Original post by reveen
so then what are you confused about then if you knew it had a double bond?

I don't know,, Doing any questions from nature's chemistry I was never taught by anyone that when you are given a short structural formula that has an insufficient amount of bonds for a certain atom (In this case carbon) to draw a double bond.

Oh well its done now, Thanks Reveen :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending