The Student Room Group

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this? Seriously? Why doesn't this anger people?

So I am looking for part time or full time work during the Summer and I have noticed that almost all jobs no matter how basic demand previous experience in an identical role. How are you supposed to get that experience if every job requires you already have it?

I feel this is causing extreme damage to both society and potential employees. To give an example, I managed to get temporary work due to a fluke (the employer actually didn't mean to hire me but I thought I got the job and turned up. Fortunately someone else hadn't turned up and she said it was the busiest day they'd ever had and she therefore told me to stay) and after one day I was told I was the first person in FIVE ****ING YEARS to have not been backlogged with the workload, ON THE BUSIEST DAY THEY HAD EVER HAD. The line leader, Colin even asked for me by name. What does this prove? That you do not need experience to do these jobs. I've proven it.

The job is brutal however and only gives me a few days a week so I am still seeking employment. The problem is however that no one will take me on for any other job because......wait for it.....I don't have experience. **** me.

Get this. I jut found a jobsite and listen to this.

A job using a water hose to spray graffiti off walls....must have minimum 1 years of experience in a job using a powerhose. (Why?)

Working in a warehouse stacking boxes......Applicants must have:
* Previous experience of working in warehouses
(WHY?)

I mean look at this...

An excellent opportunity has arisen for an experienced

Stafffinders are on the look out for experienced

Stafffinders are currently looking to recruit an experienced

Stafffinders are currently recruiting for an experienced

Our award-winning, Lanarkshire client is currently recruiting for an experienced

Stafffinders are currently recruiting for Removals Porters for temporary contracts to start immediately. Applicants must have: * Recent Removals experience*We are looking for an experiencedStafffinders are currently looking to recruit experienced Kitchen Assistants for temporary assignments

Stafffinders are recruiting experienced housekeeping staff to work on temporary assignments

Are you looking to work in the Inverclyde area? A town steeped with history and famous for it’s ship building industry.
Are you a motivated individual? Better yet… are you a motivated individual who is experienced in (Are you kidding?)

Fast-paced and high quality restaurant require an experienced full-time bar tender to help run

My client is looking for an experienced Part-time

And on and on and on and on and on and on....

This really angers me. I mean is it just me or do other people/jobseekers get wound up by this?

The young kids today have absolutely no chance. No wonder they are unemployed. Good people sitting idle. The funny thing is that in this new job there are lazy stupid older people who only got the job because....they had experience in a previous ****ing role.

So employers get lazy useless ****ing idiots who, as one of these idiots told me, knows they don't have to work hard as they can get work easily because they have experience yet good hard workers can't get a foot in the door.

I mean is it just me? Or what? Why doesn't this anger people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stephenb1608
So I am looking for part time or full time work during the Summer and I have noticed that almost all jobs no matter how basic demand previous experience in an identical role. How are you supposed to get that experience if every job requires you already have it?

I feel this is causing extreme damage to both society and potential employees. To give an example, I managed to get temporary work due to a fluke (the employer actually didn't mean to hire me but I thought I got the job and turned up. Fortunately someone else hadn't turned up and she said it was the busiest day they'd ever had and she therefore told me to stay) and after one day I was told I was the first person in FIVE ****ING YEARS to have not been backlogged with the workload, ON THE BUSIEST DAY THEY HAD EVER HAD. The line leader, Colin even asked for me by name. What does this prove? That you do not need experience to do these jobs. I've proven it.

The job is brutal however and only gives me a few days a week so I am still seeking employment. The problem is however that no one will take me on for any other job because......wait for it.....I don't have experience. **** me.

Get this. I jut found a jobsite and listen to this.

A job using a water hose to spray graffiti off walls....must have minimum 1 years of experience in a job using a powerhose. (Why?)

Working in a warehouse stacking boxes......Applicants must have:
* Previous experience of working in warehouses
(WHY?)

I mean look at this...

An excellent opportunity has arisen for an experienced

Stafffinders are on the look out for experienced

Stafffinders are currently looking to recruit an experienced

Stafffinders are currently recruiting for an experienced

Our award-winning, Lanarkshire client is currently recruiting for an experienced

Stafffinders are currently recruiting for Removals Porters for temporary contracts to start immediately. Applicants must have: * Recent Removals experience*We are looking for an experiencedStafffinders are currently looking to recruit experienced Kitchen Assistants for temporary assignments

Stafffinders are recruiting experienced housekeeping staff to work on temporary assignments

Are you looking to work in the Inverclyde area? A town steeped with history and famous for it’s ship building industry.
Are you a motivated individual? Better yet… are you a motivated individual who is experienced in (Are you kidding?)

Fast-paced and high quality restaurant require an experienced full-time bar tender to help run

My client is looking for an experienced Part-time

And on and on and on and on and on and on....

This really angers me. I mean is it just me or do other people/jobseekers get wound up by this?

The young kids today have absolutely no chance. No wonder they are unemployed. Good people sitting idle. The funny thing is that in this new job there are lazy stupid older people who only got the job because....they had experience in a previous ****ing role.

So employers get lazy useless ****ing idiots who, as one of these idiots told me, knows they don't have to work hard as they can get work easily because they have experience yet good hard workers can't get a foot in the door.

It does anger people however no action gets taken any further. Its just life I guess.

I'm young (25) and I've already had 7 jobs in my life since I was 16. Don't want to brag but I think I set a good example because compared to other young people obviously they aren't so lucky with getting them.

I know quite a few people who have finished school and they're not even bothering to look for jobs whilst in full time FE education. But all I can say is they are going to have a really hard time that's for sure.

It doesn't even help when you graduate because you still need, yes that word again, experience!

Since starting my job 4 months ago my manager has been trying to get people to work, especially young people...

But guess what happened - they didn't turn up for the interview!

So don't just blame employers, as not everyone wants a job at the end of the day, I used to work for the Jobcentre and I had claimants who had been claiming for most of their life!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
You have two options.
1) Bitch about it and stay in your current job
2) Go out there and volunteer, take on jobs in places where you can get transferable skills, chance applying for something you don't have experience in but highlight those transferable skills, work hard, work your way up, become the boss and then start offering jobs to people who don't have any freaking experience in the work you want them to do. Be the change you wish to see.
FYI, just because it mentions experience doesn't mean it's essential. Many employers use it to get rid of applicants who 'feel' inexperienced and ill-prepared for the position.
Sign up with some agencies - you'll be able to build up loads of experience in a range of roles. If you can convince the agency staff that you're reliable and good at picking things up then you'll get the best placements.
Original post by PQ
Sign up with some agencies - you'll be able to build up loads of experience in a range of roles. If you can convince the agency staff that you're reliable and good at picking things up then you'll get the best placements.

But in most of the roles they currently have on offer, they do require experience.
Original post by Boreism
But in most of the roles they currently have on offer, they do require experience.

Those are the roles they ADVERTISE - if you're on their books then you'll get placed in positions that never get put in the window or on the recruitment sites. They'll always prefer to place people from within their books than to have to advertise or bring in someone new.

Find an agency that seems to advertise a lot of the sort of work you're interested in - they're obviously short of temps to fill those posts - then go in IN PERSON and speak to them with your CV. Once you're on their books ring up DAILY to see if they have any placements. If you're an unknown quantity with little experience then you need to demonstrate that you're reliable and enthusiastic before they take any risks. Ring up every day, learn the names of the people who answer the phones, treat them well and make it clear that you're keen and you'll be surprised how quickly you get something back.
Original post by PQ
Those are the roles they ADVERTISE - if you're on their books then you'll get placed in positions that never get put in the window or on the recruitment sites. They'll always prefer to place people from within their books than to have to advertise or bring in someone new.

Find an agency that seems to advertise a lot of the sort of work you're interested in - they're obviously short of temps to fill those posts - then go in IN PERSON and speak to them with your CV. Once you're on their books ring up DAILY to see if they have any placements. If you're an unknown quantity with little experience then you need to demonstrate that you're reliable and enthusiastic before they take any risks. Ring up every day, learn the names of the people who answer the phones, treat them well and make it clear that you're keen and you'll be surprised how quickly you get something back.

Thank you for the advice but I've done agency work and now have a permanent contract, I was just stating from experience when looking for work at agencies.
-

This is true.

However my biggest problem at the moment is how hard it is to find a full time job. And when I say full time, I mean minimum 35 hours. I've only had customer service experience (coffee shop and fast food cashier) and I do get quite a lot of interviews, I have been applying for jobs for a month and I have gotten lots of invites to interviews and the problem is, they are all part time and they all expect you to be fully flexible throughout the week, so I cannot even get two part time jobs!! Finding an actual full time job is impossible, I'd say 70% of the vacancies are part time, and those that are 'full time' are not actually full time, but zero hour contracts OR they magically consider 25-30 hours to be 'full time'. Once there is an actual full time vacancy, it's usually just one person they hire and they are very selective if the job involves actually giving someone a contract for full time hours so it's impossible to get the job.

And I have had the same problem you have had, I hate customer service and I cannot get out of it because you need experience for everything but everywhere requires prior experience!!! I have wanted to do warehouse work and 99% of the roles require you to have previous experience, and then there's one ad that says you don't need previous experience, which doesn't really matter, because there will be plenty of people with experience who will apply for the job anyway so you won't get it.

It's ****ing ****.
Original post by PQ

My experience with recruitment agencies so far:

Agency 1: I saw an ad in the window that said they 'urgently require production operatives and warehouse workers, experienced not needed'. I always walk by this agency and saw this ad for weeks and then one day I was like, ok I'll apply. I did find it very strange that this had been on the window for over a month but I went in and gave the receptionist my CV and told her that I saw the ad in the window and I wanted to apply for it. She took my CV and said hang on a second, I will get you my colleague who does the recruitment, she goes and then comes back and tells me that 'he is on the phone right now but he will call you back later today'.

He never called.

Agency 2: I saw an ad online that said they are looking for production operatives, it's all year round work, you don't need experience and it's full time. The ad said you have to call X or Y person to apply and gave their phone numbers. I called one of the guys who told me that if I want to apply, I have to send a CV to the company's email adress. Why didn't you just put the email address on the ad and say send your CV in? Do you enjoy getting calls from people all day long only to tell them that they can't apply by phone, they have to send in their CV?

Ok, I sent my CV to their email address. A week later, no reply. So I called up the other phone number that was given on the ad, and I told the guy that I want to apply for this job. I told him my name and he was like, oh, didn't you send in your CV by email? I think it's on my table somewhere. And I was like yeah I did. So he said ok, come in for an interview! So I did. When I got there, it turns out that they lied in the ad, the job is NOT full time and mon-fri 7-4 as they advertised, it is only part time and they said they don't know when this job will start exactly, he said 'MAYBE in a few weeks' and that they will call me if there is work available.

They never called and I am pretty sure the job ad is fake, as it has been advertised and put on again a thousand times again when it expires.

Agency 3: Online ad for a full time temporary job. I sent in my CV, next day I get a call from a recruitment agent from them and it went to voicemail, they said they want to talk to me about the DATA ENTRY JOB I APPLIED FOR. OK, I call them back later that day and they ask me what kind of work I am looking for. I tell them that I am interested in the data entry job that I applied for. SHE SAYS THAT JOB HAS ALREADY BEEN FILLED. So you posted this ad five seconds ago, called me a few hours ago and you specifially said in the voicemail that that's the job you want to talk to me about and now you are telling me that it's been filled? No, bitch, it hasn't been filled, the job never existed.

Agency 4: Agent calls me on my phone, leaves a voicemail to say he saw my CV on a site and to call him back because he has many interesting jobs for me. I call back, had an interview, when I went there, it turns out they don't have any jobs for me but they made me register anyway and said they will call me when they do.

Note that it wasn't my CV or interview technique that was wrong, I get plenty of interviews when I apply directly to employers and I am really good an interviews, I have been offered the job for every single one I interviewed for.

Agencies are ****ing scum. Agents are mental imbeciles, they sit in an office making up non existent jobs and then write fake ads.
Original post by lolakirk
My experience with recruitment agencies so far:

Agency 1: I saw an ad in the window that said they 'urgently require production operatives and warehouse workers, experienced not needed'. I always walk by this agency and saw this ad for weeks and then one day I was like, ok I'll apply. I did find it very strange that this had been on the window for over a month but I went in and gave the receptionist my CV and told her that I saw the ad in the window and I wanted to apply for it. She took my CV and said hang on a second, I will get you my colleague who does the recruitment, she goes and then comes back and tells me that 'he is on the phone right now but he will call you back later today'.

He never called.

Agency 2: I saw an ad online that said they are looking for production operatives, it's all year round work, you don't need experience and it's full time. The ad said you have to call X or Y person to apply and gave their phone numbers. I called one of the guys who told me that if I want to apply, I have to send a CV to the company's email adress. Why didn't you just put the email address on the ad and say send your CV in? Do you enjoy getting calls from people all day long only to tell them that they can't apply by phone, they have to send in their CV?

Ok, I sent my CV to their email address. A week later, no reply. So I called up the other phone number that was given on the ad, and I told the guy that I want to apply for this job. I told him my name and he was like, oh, didn't you send in your CV by email? I think it's on my table somewhere. And I was like yeah I did. So he said ok, come in for an interview! So I did. When I got there, it turns out that they lied in the ad, the job is NOT full time and mon-fri 7-4 as they advertised, it is only part time and they said they don't know when this job will start exactly, he said 'MAYBE in a few weeks' and that they will call me if there is work available.

They never called and I am pretty sure the job ad is fake, as it has been advertised and put on again a thousand times again when it expires.

Agency 3: Online ad for a full time temporary job. I sent in my CV, next day I get a call from a recruitment agent from them and it went to voicemail, they said they want to talk to me about the DATA ENTRY JOB I APPLIED FOR. OK, I call them back later that day and they ask me what kind of work I am looking for. I tell them that I am interested in the data entry job that I applied for. SHE SAYS THAT JOB HAS ALREADY BEEN FILLED. So you posted this ad five seconds ago, called me a few hours ago and you specifially said in the voicemail that that's the job you want to talk to me about and now you are telling me that it's been filled? No, bitch, it hasn't been filled, the job never existed.

Agency 4: Agent calls me on my phone, leaves a voicemail to say he saw my CV on a site and to call him back because he has many interesting jobs for me. I call back, had an interview, when I went there, it turns out they don't have any jobs for me but they made me register anyway and said they will call me when they do.

Note that it wasn't my CV or interview technique that was wrong, I get plenty of interviews when I apply directly to employers and I am really good an interviews, I have been offered the job for every single one I interviewed for.

Agencies are ****ing scum.

You are misunderstanding what agencies do - they're not an advertising agency they are a temping agency.

They will NEVER call you - they don't need to, because someone else is doing as I advised above, calling every day, getting to know the people who answer the phone, being professional and keen and polite and generally giving the impression that they'll be a good advert for the agency in any placement they're put in. And 10 more people are already on their books coming to the end of a placement and needing something else and they've already proved that they are good.

If you want an agency to work FOR YOU then you need to talk to them about what you're looking for, tell them what transport you have and availability, emphasise how flexible you are and how you pick things up quickly and aren't afraid to ask questions and THEN demonstrate that you're reliable and committed enough for them to take a risk putting you in a placement (90% of which will never be advertised....again - if you only approach agencies about advertised roles then you're misunderstanding how they work). Then once they take a risk and put you in a placement you turn up on time, wow the customer with your professionalism and efficiency and keep phoning the agency daily for other placements with more money or a longer period available.

Once you're on an agencies list of preferred temps you'll be top of the pile for any interesting or long term positions - but you only get there through working WITH the agency and not treating them like they need you or like they're your employees.
It annoys me too. Was looking for work for a year because every detail job wanted a year's experience in retail. Luckily managed to get a waitressing job instead, due to my year's work as a waitress. It is absolutely ridiculous!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PQ
You are misunderstanding what agencies do - they're not an advertising agency they are a temping agency.

Maybe you should tell them that.

Original post by PQ
They will NEVER call you

Evidently, you are wrong, as I said they DID call me and when I called them back, they confirmed that their ads were fake and don't actually have any jobs for me.

Original post by PQ
Calling every day, getting to know the people who answer the phone .

Well excuse me then, I don't have time to try to be friends with recruitment agents and calling them every day, since I work from 8 to 5 or 6, I'm not available at their office hours. Should I ask them for their home number? Maybe I should suck their dick too so that they will give me a job?

Original post by PQ

If you want an agency to work FOR YOU then you need to talk to them about what you're looking for, tell them what transport you have and availability, emphasise how flexible you are and how you pick things up quickly and aren't afraid to ask questions

As I said, I had interviews with these agencies, so all of these things were discussed in depth.

Original post by PQ

but you only get there through working WITH the agency and not treating them like they need you or like they're your employees.

LOL, you are a comedian.
Maybe you should tell them that.

Evidently, you are wrong, as I said they DID call me and when I called them back, they confirmed that their ads were fake and don't actually have any jobs for me.

Well excuse me then, I don't have time to try to be friends with recruitment agents and calling them every day, since I work from 8 to 5 or 6, I'm not available at their office hours. Should I ask them for their home number? Maybe I should suck their dick too so that they will give me a job?

As I said, I had interviews with these agencies, so all of these things were discussed in depth.

LOL, you are a comedian.

It's a mystery to me why you're struggling to get experience :iiam:
Original post by PQ
It's a mystery to me why you're struggling to get experience :iiam:

It's a mystery to me why you are defending scum that post fake job ads on the Internet who call you just so they can confirm to you that their ads are fake.
What hurt me the most happened like a week ago though. I applied for a 'sandwich maker' job in a factory.. you know, assembling those packaged sandwiches. I sent in my CV like an hour after the ad was posted (the ad specified that experience is not essential and i have fast food experience assembling burgers anyway so i did have similar experience) and I WAS rejected!!!!! Rejected from a job where you have to make sandwiches!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh god.
In short: supply and demand.

There are enough people looking for jobs that they can ask for experience.

You're right that you don't need it for many of your example jobs. But given the choice between someone who's done it before and someone who hasn't, the latter is a better bet. They don't know you're a good worker just from your word!

But everyone was in your position once. As you get older you will get experience and then you'll be complaining that you should get work ahead of these youngsters with no experience...

Think you are being a bit dramatic and have the wrong approach.
It makes sense for employers or recruiters becayse it helps them identify enough people who fit the criteria ro meet their recruitment needs. This saves time and money. Exeperience means someone who has done it before and will be able to do it again, which makes sense from an employers point of view.

Most people get on with getting experience or persuading the employer they already have the skills needed.
This reminds me of my old retail job most of the staff there were working for over 20 years. As it was my first ever retail job, I wasnt given any training staff members were rude over 50 b** I had to figure everything out on my own worked my socks off most of my collegues there had started working there at age 16 so out of school no experience. Young people have it tougher these days as the job market is so competetive
This is true.

However my biggest problem at the moment is how hard it is to find a full time job. And when I say full time, I mean minimum 35 hours. I've only had customer service experience (coffee shop and fast food cashier) and I do get quite a lot of interviews, I have been applying for jobs for a month and I have gotten lots of invites to interviews and the problem is, they are all part time and they all expect you to be fully flexible throughout the week, so I cannot even get two part time jobs!! Finding an actual full time job is impossible, I'd say 70% of the vacancies are part time, and those that are 'full time' are not actually full time, but zero hour contracts OR they magically consider 25-30 hours to be 'full time'. Once there is an actual full time vacancy, it's usually just one person they hire and they are very selective if the job involves actually giving someone a contract for full time hours so it's impossible to get the job.

And I have had the same problem you have had, I hate customer service and I cannot get out of it because you need experience for everything but everywhere requires prior experience!!! I have wanted to do warehouse work and 99% of the roles require you to have previous experience, and then there's one ad that says you don't need previous experience, which doesn't really matter, because there will be plenty of people with experience who will apply for the job anyway so you won't get it.

It's ****ing ****.

It angers you doesn't it? It is beginning to really anger me. I have had to increase my overdraft to the maximum and am really on the edge now. I can't imagine what it would be like for people with kids. Thank God I don't have any.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending