The Student Room Group

A-Level: Not sure on whether to choose Sociology or not??

I definitely know that I am choosing History, Psychology and English Language for 3 of my options, and my Dad said that I would really enjoy taking Sociology. I never took it as a GCSE, so I don't know that much about it. I vaguely know that it covers gender, class and ethnicity and stuff?? I'm a bit iffy on whether to choose it or not, as I know virtually nothing about the subject! I don't know what I would take other than Sociology, but I want to go to Uni and study History!! What is Sociology like? Will it fit nicely with my other chosen subjects? Please help!! (Sorry about the long question)
Hey, waiting for someone to respond! Going to take sociology as an intensive alevel next year in my gap year!!!!
im doing sociology at the moment for AS , just did my exam yesterday actually , It would be a good combination as all the subjects you `re doing are essay based. however keep in mind that the new specs are very content heavy.
Reply 3
If you had to choose between sociology or psychology, sociology all the way. It's basically a much more useful and interesting version of psychology that deals with the behaviour of people as a whole, rather than individuals. But I guess you can do both.
Original post by UDZ
If you had to choose between sociology or psychology, sociology all the way. It's basically a much more useful and interesting version of psychology that deals with the behaviour of people as a whole, rather than individuals. But I guess you can do both.

I would agree , I dropped psychology after a month .
I've done Sociology for AS Level and i absolutely hate it. It is a lot to remember and is really stressful. I dont know whether i hated is as much as i do because my teacher was awful or because i resent the subject.
I knew nothing about sociology before I took it at A Level and I got an A at AS and I'm predicted an A overall. Don't let that put you off.
Original post by elyssiahughes
I definitely know that I am choosing History, Psychology and English Language for 3 of my options, and my Dad said that I would really enjoy taking Sociology. I never took it as a GCSE, so I don't know that much about it. I vaguely know that it covers gender, class and ethnicity and stuff?? I'm a bit iffy on whether to choose it or not, as I know virtually nothing about the subject! I don't know what I would take other than Sociology, but I want to go to Uni and study History!! What is Sociology like? Will it fit nicely with my other chosen subjects? Please help!! (Sorry about the long question)

Because your other 3 subjects are so content heavy do you feel it's good to do another content heavy subject? Just wondering how you are as a person with that :smile: I did sociology, English Lit, Philosophy and Ethics and Art last year and found a subject like art with a lot less writing in a nicer balance and a good break from all that essay writing! :smile:
I love sociology, best subject ever
Reply 9

I take RS, Sociology and Psychology now at A2. I find that all three of my subjects fit in well with each other, they are all very content based and it can be stressful at times although I find sociology really interesting and very useful in day to day life, it really opens up your eyes to the world. There are a lot of essays to write with most questions being longer ones but overall I really enjoy it. Maybe find out what exam board your college/sixth form would be doing and look at the specification to see if its for you :smile:

All your subjects are very heavy based in terms of content. If you don't have the discipline to put in extra hours after school to study for them and revise diligently, you will find yourself in hot soup. Your intention is to get into uni? Choose 3 subjects that will get the job done. Be smart.

Quick Reply

Latest