The Student Room Group

Mei ocr d1 2016

Hi guys, can't seem to find a chat relating to this course for this year...

If anyone has any hints on how to read algorithms in quicker than an hour, please help!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this is one of my worst modules :frown: and the exam clashes with s2 which is another of my worst :lol:
My worst module also :frown: would b grateful if anyone had any revision tips/videos

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by phoebeisgreat
My worst module also :frown: would b grateful if anyone had any revision tips/videos

Posted from TSR Mobile

idk if you've looked at them but I find the revision videos on the FMSP youtube channel quite useful, I just think they help with my exam technique so I know how to lay out my answers and stuff like that, but I haven't watched the D1 ones yet so they might be crap
Ah thank you, will take a look at them later

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Alex621
this is one of my worst modules :frown: and the exam clashes with s2 which is another of my worst :lol:

Oh I feel your pain...I seem to see you on practically all the maths exam threads I go on! :O
Original post by gemlowe

If anyone has any hints on how to read algorithms in quicker than an hour, please help!!!!

I'd say read them once through before applying them to anything then make sure you read each step carefully. Also just a load of practise will help
Reply 7
I don't like D1 at all ahaha. We've got some time before the exam. I think I'm gonna go through the course summary (attached if you don't have it), and make notes to get it in my head. Then do exam questions on the chapter I revised that day in the afternoon.
What i hate about D1 is following all the algorithms, it just takes ages and I get lost 3/4 of the way through and then have to find where i went wrong. The algorithm on the 2015 paper was just stupid
Original post by gemlowe

I found this YouTube playlist online, it's great for MEI D1!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZGFjZRj-FzhmkQcyaKTbTmoKbWhppHmk

Spoiler

Reply 10
I have just come out of that exam; it couldn't have gone worse. I did not finish, and was unable to answer most questions with confidence. I hope I am not the only one that feels that way.
What the actual **** was that paper

I thought the gods were watching over me when i saw the first 3 questions and then got to Q4 and it was all ****ed from there. What the ****??????????? That was absurd
Can honestly say I had no clue what I was doing for the entirety of Q4 (linear programming). If anyone can shed any light on what we were meant to do, that'd be great???
Original post by KR1701
I have just come out of that exam; it couldn't have gone worse. I did not finish, and was unable to answer most questions with confidence. I hope I am not the only one that feels that way.

Same bud, section B was absolutely ****ing ludicrous, never seen anything like it. Missed at least 18 marks of questions. Absolutely crazy. Grade boundaries should be ridiculously low, lowest I've ever seen is 51 for an A and that was a much easier paper but I'm still ****ed. Might as well not even turn up for the rest of my exams :rofl:
Original post by sarahtvylor
Can honestly say I had no clue what I was doing for the entirety of Q4 (linear programming). If anyone can shed any light on what we were meant to do, that'd be great???

I think you were meant to get the z inequality in terms of x and y using x + y + z = 20 but **** I don't know
Original post by JordanL_
I think you were meant to get the z inequality in terms of x and y using x + y + z = 20 but **** I don't know

That's what I tried but I ended up with a graph with two straight lines with pretty much the same gradient, which didn't seem right really.
That's what I tried but I ended up with a graph with two straight lines with pretty much the same gradient, which didn't seem right really.

I just realised I think I drew the graph right but I thought I'd done it wrong so I didn't find the solution. Omg that was crazy, I'm just happy I'm not the only one that found it hard

Did you do Q5 the activity network? I couldnt do it, there were like 5 activities coming from the source node and I couldnt find a way to draw it without crossing loads of dummies. I thought I might have done the precedence table wrong but idk
I just realised I think I drew the graph right but I thought I'd done it wrong so I didn't find the solution. Omg that was crazy, I'm just happy I'm not the only one that found it hard

Did you do Q5 the activity network? I couldnt do it, there were like 5 activities coming from the source node and I couldnt find a way to draw it without crossing loads of dummies. I thought I might have done the precedence table wrong but idk

Yeah I got 5 coming from the source and I think I had like 3 dummies in total. I just crossed lines, not sure if you're allowed to do that though. Did you get anything for relating the number of colours to the complement graph in Q3?
Yeah I got 5 coming from the source and I think I had like 3 dummies in total. I just crossed lines, not sure if you're allowed to do that though. Did you get anything for relating the number of colours to the complement graph in Q3?

Ugh I wish I'd done that, I kept checking the precedence table to see if it was wrong and then trying to redraw the network. You probably got it right, I dont think it was possible to do it without crossing arcs.

Yeah I thought Q3 was alright, Id seen something similar in a past paper. For the octahedron? The complement graph had 2 separate sets of 4 vertices joined up, so you needed one colour for each set.
Ugh I wish I'd done that, I kept checking the precedence table to see if it was wrong and then trying to redraw the network. You probably got it right, I dont think it was possible to do it without crossing arcs.

Yeah I thought Q3 was alright, Id seen something similar in a past paper. For the octahedron? The complement graph had 2 separate sets of 4 vertices joined up, so you needed one colour for each set.

I was super pushed for time and I left it until the end. I think i put something like (number of nodes)/(order of nodes) but I think its wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending