The Student Room Group

Talent vs Hardwork(can hard work really over take talent?)

So i was reading a manga and stumbled upon something i wholly agree with.

Can hard work ever truly overtake talent?

Personally my answer is no it never can. My physics was evidence of me working hard and getting nowhere. Concluding from that i have learned that you can work hard and still be stupid.

What do others think?

Scroll to see replies

if your natty your screwed brah
Yes. I used to be very bad at football. Very odd for a spanish guy. I got teased and bullied. I chose to finish it and went under an INTENSE training regime 8-10 hours a day of training and eventually the results were clear. I got into a pro youth league whilst the others were looking, so yes it does.
I believe so to extent because I have seen people who put hardwork on it but had little talent and they succeeded. Whereas I have also seen people with talent but with no hardwork and this lead to their downfall.
I think you have to be talented in working hard, if you get what I mean? Like knowing how to study etc etc

I personally don't think I'm naturally talented, not compared to people I know and have met anyway, but I do have aspirations and I work very hard to meet them.

Dream the biggest dreams then do everything you can to make them come true :yes:
Aren't people like Savants naturally gifted?
Reply 6
I prefer hard work to talent. It is a safer bet
Hard work trumps everything.
Reply 8
I worked very hard for a year to get good exam results and a good UKCAT score (admissions test for medicine) and I've got an offer now for medicine at Edinburgh. I know I'm not a doctor yet but I've always considered myself the average joe who gets the average mark e.g. I always do crap at subjects I don't like and I used to be in the middle set for Maths at 14 when that was supposed to be one of stronger subjects.
Reply 9
Original post by Angry Bird
if your natty your screwed brah

huh???

Is it? I think talent means you have a knack to do things and you're good at what you do. Hard work can only get you so far.
Of course
I wasted a year doing physics -.- but then again that can go on my ucas and then i can say i did other maths modules when i found out physics wasn't right for me etc etc
It's quite an ecchi one o.o
it's called Kimi Wa Midara Na Boku No Joou it's one of those weird ecchi stuff i found on the discovery list

Original post by AhmarIT
Yes. I used to be very bad at football. Very odd for a spanish guy. I got teased and bullied. I chose to finish it and went under an INTENSE training regime 8-10 hours a day of training and eventually the results were clear. I got into a pro youth league whilst the others were looking, so yes it does.

I see...
Original post by KeepRollingFazzy
I believe so to extent because I have seen people who put hardwork on it but had little talent and they succeeded. Whereas I have also seen people with talent but with no hardwork and this lead to their downfall.

Of course but that's a classic example and the outcome is obvious
Original post by Serine Soul
I think you have to be talented in working hard, if you get what I mean? Like knowing how to study etc etc

I personally don't think I'm naturally talented, not compared to people I know and have met anyway, but I do have aspirations and I work very hard to meet them.

Dream the biggest dreams then do everything you can to make them come true :yes:

AH i see.... i understand where you're coming from.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Aren't people like Savants naturally gifted?

Dunno :/
Original post by M14B
I prefer hard work to talent. It is a safer bet

I can work hard, question is do i have the talent.
I'd rather have the talent because i can work hard anyday, but if i don't have the capacity to learn and understand quickly(i.e. talent) then i can't go further in studies or whatever i do
Reply 10
Original post by Blue_Mason

I'm not seeing where this comes from?
Original post by st nick
I worked very hard for a year to get good exam results and a good UKCAT score (admissions test for medicine) and I've got an offer now for medicine at Edinburgh. I know I'm not a doctor yet but I've always considered myself the average joe who gets the average mark e.g. I always do crap at subjects I don't like and I used to be in the middle set for Maths at 14 when that was supposed to be one of stronger subjects.

But the difference is you put the work in and got something out, and yet although i put the work in i got nothing out.
Original post by Blue_Mason

Sadly not true
Reply 12
Original post by thefatone
I'm not seeing where this comes from?

But the difference is you put the work in and got something out, and yet although i put the work in i got nothing out.

oh okay, I always just ask for feedbackwhen I'm stuck on something so I actually make progress and sometimes its really hard to understand stuff and I just memorise it instead.
'Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard'
Reply 14
Original post by st nick
oh okay, I always just ask for feedback when I'm stuck on something so I actually make progress and sometimes its really hard to understand stuff and I just memorise it instead.

So do i but harder stuff i can't memorise since i need to understand the easy stuff to understand the hard stuff, physics for example, you must have a stable foundation to lay everything you've learned on top of that otherwise everything falls down and you don't understand stuff.

Original post by samb1234
'Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard'

Then again that's a classic example where the outcome is obvious and that the one who works hard with no talent will beat the one with talent but doesn't work

"Slow and steady wins the race till truth and talent takes its place"
One of my friends has a lot less talent than me and they admit it yet their privilege has meant they can buy into their interests... It's like with rich kids and exams their parents get them extra tuition and they do well anyway despite a lack of talent others might have.
(edited 7 years ago)
This is true but it's also obvious. No 3 year old is as good as an adult at almost anything.

But talent definitely exists. It's very clear with young children that some are naturally good at music or maths or sport or whatever.

It's also important to remember that talent and hard work are not mutually exclusive. You can have talent and still work hard. If I have talent and work just as hard as someone with no talent then I'll still be ahead. But only because of the talent.

Talent doesn't mean you don't have to work hard. It means you don't have to work as much as everyone else.

This is very true. To become an expert, you need some talent, but every expert has devoted thousands of hours of dedicated practice to get good. I would say, though, that unless you have that talent to begin with, you will not find the motivation to invest in those thousands of hours of practice. It's very dispiriting to work very hard on something and see little progress, and so people without much talent will give up (and fair enough!), whereas the talented will persevere.

Some people mistake that for a belief that anyone can be brilliant if only they put the hard work in. Hard work will make you better, but it will make the talented even better.

It also depends on the context. I don't think all the practice in the world would make me a champion sprinter or weightlifter. Genetics play a huge role there. But for something like chess or table tennis, pure talent is probably not so important as study and practice.

For example kids that are speaking 5 languages by the time they are 7 years old.

That's pretty easy. Most children would be able to do this as language learning is very plastic before 7 years old. You just need to be exposed to other languages regularly enough. If you ask me, half the school day should be taught in another language in primary school, and we'd have a bilingual generation in no time.

Hard work doesn't mean everyone can do anything if they try hard enough. Some people just can't do some stuff. But not having talent doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

Nicely put.
Reply 17
Nebulous a term as talent is, perhaps it gives you a better head start. But if you don't push on, others will run past you...
Reply 18
Thus if talent can be replaced by the word experience it should be. Therefore "talent" isn't really talent, it's just the product of hard work and experience.
Natural talent here i what i'm talking about.
So the question still stands(although it may have changed slightly)
Can those who work hard ever surpass those with nautral talent?(who also work hard)
Obviously natural talent will help however you must put work in to make something out of your learning etc.
Reply 19
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Nebulous a term as talent is, perhaps it gives you a better head start. But if you don't push on, others will run past you...

I agree and that's the classic example and the result will be obvious but why do people tell me that hard work always will get you far in life and it always beats talent?

Quick Reply

Latest