The Student Room Group

Amsterdam tourist attractions?!

Were going to dam at some point, my kids will be with me so can anyone name good things to go and see?

must be kid friendly ie no red light districts

no cannabis bars/cafes

if anyone can think of any, can i have the name and area it is in please, thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anne Frank's house?

And after that perhaps some weed and a sex show to lighten the mood? Oh wait...
Reply 2
Original post by offhegoes
Anne Frank's house?

And after that perhaps some weed and a sex show to lighten the mood? Oh wait...

also considering Van Gogh museum, my 5 year old has shown an interest :smile:
are they relatively close together?
Reply 3
Original post by shawtyb
also considering Van Gogh museum, my 5 year old has shown an interest :smile:
are they relatively close together?

Half an hour walking, 10 mins by tram :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by offhegoes
Half an hour walking, 10 mins by tram :smile:

great thanks :smile:
anything else youd recommend?
iv seen pictures of multicoloured cobble stones and walls/streets etc. do you know where that is?
Original post by shawtyb
Were going to dam at some point, my kids will be with me so can anyone name good things to go and see?

must be kid friendly ie no red light districts

no cannabis bars/cafes

if anyone can think of any, can i have the name and area it is in please, thanks!

The canals are nice
Check out this place:

https://www.nemosciencemuseum.nl/en/about-nemo/collection/

I'm not sure whether there is still a 'beach' up on the roof; that used to be good fun (but take a change of clothing for the kids☺). .
Reply 7
Original post by ODES_PDES
The canals are nice

canals scare the hell out of me! manic fear of drowning!

Original post by Isinglass
Check out this place:

https://www.nemosciencemuseum.nl/en/about-nemo/collection/

I'm not sure whether there is still a 'beach' up on the roof; that used to be good fun (but take a change of clothing for the kids☺). .

ooo cool thankyou!! is it near the center of dam?
Anne Frank's house, NEMO (science museum), Van Gogh museum, Rijksmuseum, I think there's also a zoo. Hire a pedal boat and pedal along the canals.

There's loads to do in Amsterdam. It isn't a very big city so everything is within walking distance.

Edit: Forgot to say, if it's the same as when I went a few years ago, those under 18 have free admittance to things like the Van Gogh museum, but those over 18 have to pay.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Anne Frank's house, NEMO (science museum), Van Gogh museum, Rijksmuseum, I think there's also a zoo. Hire a pedal boat and pedal along the canals.

There's loads to do in Amsterdam. It isn't a very big city so everything is within walking distance.

Edit: Forgot to say, if it's the same as when I went a few years ago, those under 18 have free admittance to things like the Van Gogh museum, but those over 18 have to pay.

whats that?
hope there is a zoo! :smile:
im glad its all walkable lol
and thats good! my 5yo like van gogh as well.
iv seen pictures of multicoloured cobble stones and walls/streets etc. do you know where that is?
Original post by shawtyb
whats that?
hope there is a zoo! :smile:
im glad its all walkable lol
and thats good! my 5yo like van gogh as well.

The Rijksmuseum has loads of Dutch history and art and things. It has paintings by Rembrandt, Vermeer etc. If I remember correctly, it's in the building behind the famous 'I Amsterdam' sign/letters.

I wouldn't know it off the top of my head, sorry. A quick Google would suggest that the street is named 'Wijdesteeg', though you'd have to look into that more.
Reply 11
The Rijksmuseum has loads of Dutch history and art and things. It has paintings by Rembrandt, Vermeer etc. If I remember correctly, it's in the building behind the famous 'I Amsterdam' sign/letters.

I wouldn't know it off the top of my head, sorry. A quick Google would suggest that the street is named 'Wijdesteeg', though you'd have to look into that more.

ok great, thanks :smile:
are the tourist travel discount card/passes worth it?
Original post by shawtyb
ok great, thanks :smile:
are the tourist travel discount card/passes worth it?

I couldn't tell you, I'm afraid. We stayed fairly central and walked everywhere so never used the public transport, and when I visited I was 17 so didn't have to pay for many of the museums we went to. It might be worth looking at the individual cost of things you want to do, and weigh that up against tourist passes and things :smile:

You'll love Amsterdam, by the way. Such a friendly city. Though I'll warn you that it's quite easy to accidentally stray into the red light district unknowingly..
Reply 13
I couldn't tell you, I'm afraid. We stayed fairly central and walked everywhere so never used the public transport, and when I visited I was 17 so didn't have to pay for many of the museums we went to. It might be worth looking at the individual cost of things you want to do, and weigh that up against tourist passes and things :smile:

You'll love Amsterdam, by the way. Such a friendly city. Though I'll warn you that it's quite easy to accidentally stray into the red light district unknowingly..

oh ok cool :smile:
il bear that in mind lmao
Both Nemo and Artis (Amsterdam Zoo) are to the east of the Central Station. Both within walking distance, although you may prefer to use public transport, depending on how old your children are and where you are staying. We haven't visited for a while but we always used to purchase a 'strippenkaart' - multiple journey ticket which can be used on buses and trams. By the way, children aged four and over used to have to pay on public transport, not sure whether this still applies.

As for the red light district, just don't make a 'thing' of it if you do happen to find yourself walking through.

Amsterdam is an odd choice of destination if you have a morbid dear of canals! Water is everywhere in Amsterdam - a lot of the streets are canal banks! Anything ending in 'gracht', for a start. There is absolutely no need to fall in, though, and a canal cruise is a good way to see the city and learn about its history.
Reply 15
Original post by Isinglass
Both Nemo and Artis (Amsterdam Zoo) are to the east of the Central Station. Both within walking distance, although you may prefer to use public transport, depending on how old your children are and where you are staying. We haven't visited for a while but we always used to purchase a 'strippenkaart' - multiple journey ticket which can be used on buses and trams. By the way, children aged four and over used to have to pay on public transport, not sure whether this still applies.

As for the red light district, just don't make a 'thing' of it if you do happen to find yourself walking through.

Amsterdam is an odd choice of destination if you have a morbid dear of canals! Water is everywhere in Amsterdam - a lot of the streets are canal banks! Anything ending in 'gracht', for a start. There is absolutely no need to fall in, though, and a canal cruise is a good way to see the city and learn about its history.

cool thanks!
the zoo is a defo i think, is it good?
i can supress my fear, equally scared of the kids near the bank though
Reply 17
Original post by shawtyb
cool thanks!
the zoo is a defo i think, is it good?
i can supress my fear, equally scared of the kids near the bank though

Shawty, you need to loosen up.

And enjoy Amsterdam :smile:

If you don't want a canal cruise, how about renting bikes?

And if you guys love cheese, there is a cheese museum. I don't remember where but I am sure you can google it. That was pretty fun. And visit the flower market too. And since you have kids, they have a UV minigolf place, that would probably be fun, too.
Reply 18

i could kiss you!!! perfect website! thankyou!! the goat farm will please my boyfriend
do you know/remember prices for the goat farm? im finding it hard translating it

Original post by inhuman
Shawty, you need to loosen up.

And enjoy Amsterdam :smile:

If you don't want a canal cruise, how about renting bikes?

And if you guys love cheese, there is a cheese museum. I don't remember where but I am sure you can google it. That was pretty fun. And visit the flower market too. And since you have kids, they have a UV minigolf place, that would probably be fun, too.

i know, i worry far too much!
id consider a canal cruise if there safe?
a cheese museum? XD!!!
UV minigold sounds fun!
Original post by shawtyb
i could kiss you!!! perfect website! thankyou!! the goat farm will please my boyfriend
do you know/remember prices for the goat farm? im finding it hard translating it

i know, i worry far too much!
id consider a canal cruise if there safe?
a cheese museum? XD!!!
UV minigold sounds fun!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g188590-d240808-r147600880-Amsterdamse_Bos-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

"This massive parkland is great for a day biking or other outdoor pursuits. It is huge and we have surely only seen part of it! We took the children cycling through it to the lovely goat farm. You can brush and feed hundreds of well cared for tame goats with a few pigs and chickens wandering around your feet. Free entry but there is a cafe and little shop where you can buy a range of their cheeses and free range eggs"

it sounds lovely !!

Quick Reply

Latest