The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Discrete Mathematics or Data Science?

Hi,

I'm going to be applying to Mathematics and Computer Science courses for 2017 entry soon, but as you probably know Warwick offers Discrete Mathematics as an alternative to this.

The course content itself appeals to me greatly, but I've read numerous complaints about the lack of communication between both the CS and Mathematics departments, which leads to DM students getting stuck in a limbo between the two.

Can anyone comment on whether or not this lack of communication still exists? If it does, I'll apply to do Data Science, since it seems quite similar but with more of an emphasis on statistics (which I enjoy) rather than my preferred pure maths.

I'll be grateful if anyone can offer me any advice! Thanks!
Original post by dfbenjamin
Hi,

I'm going to be applying to Mathematics and Computer Science courses for 2017 entry soon, but as you probably know Warwick offers Discrete Mathematics as an alternative to this.

The course content itself appeals to me greatly, but I've read numerous complaints about the lack of communication between both the CS and Mathematics departments, which leads to DM students getting stuck in a limbo between the two.

Can anyone comment on whether or not this lack of communication still exists? If it does, I'll apply to do Data Science, since it seems quite similar but with more of an emphasis on statistics (which I enjoy) rather than my preferred pure maths.

I'll be grateful if anyone can offer me any advice! Thanks!

I'm biased: Data Science.

It's housed within the Stats department, and is taught alongside the more established MORSE/MathStat courses available at Warwick - this means you receive the exact same attention as any maths student would. As for maths courses, you can steer the degree towards being more pure maths focused if you want or more CS focused if you were to go that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Princepieman
I'm biased: Data Science.

It's housed within the Stats department, and is taught alongside the more established MORSE/MathStat courses available at Warwick - this means you receive the exact same attention as any maths student would.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Any maths student? Rather MORSE / MathStat.
Original post by hassassin04
Any maths student? Rather MORSE / MathStat.

Yeah, everyone is taught by WMI professors and similar tutorials are available to Stats department students studying pure Maths units as part of their degree.
Original post by Princepieman
Yeah, everyone is taught by WMI professors and similar tutorials are available to Stats department students studying pure Maths units as part of their degree.

Non-maths students get significantly less support for maths modules though in year one which is just one hour supervision per week for all maths modules.
Thanks for your replies!

Would you say there's enough opportunity to do pure maths modules in a Data Science degree, or is the course structure fairly rigid? The description on the website unhelpfully gives a "non-exhaustive" list of about 5 optional modules, are there significantly more options than these?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dfbenjamin
Thanks for your replies!

Would you say there's enough opportunity to do pure maths modules in a Data Science degree, or is the course structure fairly rigid? The description on the website unhelpfully gives a "non-exhaustive" list of about 5 optional modules, are there significantly more options than these?

Look here for more details - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/courses/handbooks/datsci12-handbook15-16.pdf
You can take I think up to 30 CAT of unusual options-which can be maths modules that you like. There are no regulations for y3 because there are not any third year data science students yet! But if it bothers you I guess you can email them and ask what your third year will be like.

Quick Reply

Latest