The Student Room Group

Egyptair plane with 66 passengers disappears from radar

Update: Egyptian army says it has located debris from flight MS804

Egyptair Flight 804 has crashed. Egyptair says 56 passengers and 10 crew were on board the Airbus A320 from Paris to Cairo.

An international search is underway.

Live updates from The Guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/may/20/egyptair-flight-ms804-search-for-crash-wreckage-intensifies-live
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Pilot error?
Bomb on board?
Mechanical failure?
Too early to tell at a the moment. Modern passenger aircraft don't usually just fall out the sky though, it's almost always due to human input.
From what I've heard on the BBC to aircraft didn't deviate from its course, cruising altitude etc which makes a terrorist attack the more likely cause.
A distress signal was sent albeit briefly so you'd have to guess it was a bomb that was large enough to cause critical damage but incapable of completely destroying the jet when it initially exploded.
RIP to those on board.
(edited 7 years ago)
According to the BBC

"
A Greek aviation source has told the AFP news agency that the missing EgyptAir plane crashed into the sea off the southern Greek island of Karpathos at about 01:30 BST.AFP are the only news outlet to report this so far."

Ok so do you know this ?When this was posted
Wondering how people will pin this on the EU.
Original post by Tempest II

A distress signal was sent albeit briefly so you'd have to guess it was a bomb that was large enough to cause critical damage but incapable of completely destroying the jet when it initially exploded.

That is denied by the Egyptian military, according to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36309492
There were three children on board :frown:
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Am I the only one laughing at the whole 69 thing?

Probably. Most members are older than twelve.
The spectre of terrorism inevitably looms over this latest aviation tragedy.While there is no evidence yet to indicate a malicious attack, it was only seven months ago that so-called Islamic State (IS) planted a bomb that brought down a Russian passenger jet over the Sinai.IS has vowed to continue targeting the Egyptian state and Westerners who visit Egypt. In a different but also malicious incident in 1999, a disturbed EgyptAir co-pilot put a Boeing passenger plane into a fatal dive off the US coast, killing all 217 people on board, though the Egyptian government continues to say it was a mechanical failure.However, at this stage, investigators will be keeping an open mind about the cause of the plane's disappearance, including checking the maintenance record of the airframe.
Original post by hazzer1998
The spectre of terrorism inevitably looms over this latest aviation tragedy.While there is no evidence yet to indicate a malicious attack, it was only seven months ago that so-called Islamic State (IS) planted a bomb that brought down a Russian passenger jet over the Sinai.IS has vowed to continue targeting the Egyptian state and Westerners who visit Egypt. In a different but also malicious incident in 1999, a disturbed EgyptAir co-pilot put a Boeing passenger plane into a fatal dive off the US coast, killing all 217 people on board, though the Egyptian government continues to say it was a mechanical failure.However, at this stage, investigators will be keeping an open mind about the cause of the plane's disappearance, including checking the maintenance record of the airframe.

Couldn't you have made a comment of your own, rather than plagiarising the BBC, wholesale, unattributed and without the original paragraphs?
The Med is very deep in places, so it may be extremely difficult to locate the wreckage again.

What this will do for the already-battered Egypt tourist industry is only to be boggled at. It's a key income earner for Egypt and without it, their already fragile economy will go down still further. They have a huge population, close to Europe - the consequences are fairly predictable. I'm not against planned or useful immigration, but we need to strategise much more and spend much more on trying to stabilise North Africa generally. It's in our own interests.

Of course, I'm assuming this is terrorist action, which we don't yet know.
Probably just crashed, my money is on mechanical failure leading to pilot error or the other way around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Probably just crashed, my money is on mechanical failure leading to pilot error or the other way around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd take that bet

Given it a french airline traveling to a Muslim country odds on favorite will have to be religion of peace(tm) (for now)

But must wait to reserve judgement
Original post by UWS
Update: Egyptair Flight 804 has crashed. Egyptair says 59 passengers and 10 crew were on board the Airbus A320 from Paris to Cairo.

Live updates from The Guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/may/19/egyptair-plane-cairo-paris-live-updates

Egyptian airlines where only 30% of flights make it to their destinations! :laugh: :rofl:
So sad..
Original post by BaconandSauce
I'd take that bet

Given it a french airline traveling to a Muslim country odds on favorite will have to be religion of peace(tm) (for now)

But must wait to reserve judgement

I don't think it serves much purpose to destroy a plane over the sea when you could do more damage doing it over a populated area.

Posted from TSR Mobile
#MS804
https://twitter.com/hashtag/MS804?src=hash

Video there showing video of a fireball from a Greek island near the supposed crash zone.
Rip those on board.
I don't think it serves much purpose to destroy a plane over the sea when you could do more damage doing it over a populated area.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah i see it as being the more brutal choice as there is no closure for the family's and its harder to investigate

But all subjective.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The problem for a terrorist is that it takes a much bigger, much more easily detectable, bomb to destroy a plane at low altitude (where an entire airport could be put out of action) than it does at cruising altitude (where there is little likelihood of associated damage).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending