The Student Room Group

Does it matter which uni you study at if you know you want to start your own business

Does university reputation and ranking really matter if you know you'll be working on your own startup?
Yes, you'll have much better networking opportunities and make better connections at elite universities.
I'd say unless you're going to a top university, or if you need a degree to get the skills to start a business (unlikely), why even go to university?
Original post by iasked
Does university reputation and ranking really matter if you know you'll be working on your own startup?

IMO, a big no.

In the short term, you may find that these bring more advantages.

But, in the long term, I think you'll find that people will tend to view your accomplishments and skills etc more objectively.

More importantly, as you mature you may find that you come to value these things less, realising that what matters more is your present, and future, rather than the past.
Original post by iasked

If the business is selling weed then you'd be better off at low-rank uni
Reply 5
Original post by richpanda
I'd say unless you're going to a top university, or if you need a degree to get the skills to start a business (unlikely), why even go to university?

True, but I feel like having a paper qualification does make your more legit (?). Also, at uni you might be able to meet similar minded people who might end up being your co-founders etc.
Completely anecdotal here, but I was at an entrepreneurial event for students a couple of months ago and had a discussion with a guy who, for his PhD, had looked at university support for entrepreneurs. He’d found that post-92 universities were, often, more supportive than older universities for students who want to start their own business.

One thing worth looking for is if the university has an Enterprise society (or similar), (I can only talk about Anglia Ruskin from experience, but the network opportunities have been quite good).
Reply 7
Original post by Salostar
Completely anecdotal here, but I was at an entrepreneurial event for students a couple of months ago and had a discussion with a guy who, for his PhD, had looked at university support for entrepreneurs. He’d found that post-92 universities were, often, more supportive than older universities for students who want to start their own business.

One thing worth looking for is if the university has an Enterprise society (or similar), (I can only talk about Anglia Ruskin from experience, but the network opportunities have been quite good).

Well I've received offers from both Southampton and Newcastle. Which one has the better business school and entrepreneurial opportunities?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending