The Student Room Group

Applying to medicine without biology AS?

Hi, thanks in advance for the help!

I'm currently in Year 12 and planning to apply for medicine for 2017 entry. I only made this decision recently, and I'm not taking biology AS (currently taking chemistry, physics, maths and further maths AS).

Just to confirm, I will not apply to a university that specifically states biology A level as a requirement (so that piece of advice is unnecessary), I am referring to what is preferable and recommended for universities that don't require it.

Because of the new A levels, I cannot take biology AS in Year 13. Is it recommended to complete the entire A level in one year? Is it worth it if I'm more likely to get a good grade in the A levels I'm currently taking?

Thank you again!
Original post by shir1902

I'm currently in Year 12 and planning to apply for medicine for 2017 entry. I only made this decision recently, and I'm not taking biology AS (currently taking chemistry, physics, maths and further maths AS).

Just to confirm, I will not apply to a university that specifically states biology A level as a requirement (so that piece of advice is unnecessary), I am referring to what is preferable and recommended for universities that don't require it.

Because of the new A levels, I cannot take biology AS in Year 13. Is it recommended to complete the entire A level in one year? Is it worth it if I'm more likely to get a good grade in the A levels I'm currently taking?

Thank you again!

I think you might find yourself in a tricky situation. A lot of medical schools don't view further maths as separate to maths, so may only see you as doing three A-levels without a fourth as (if f.maths is what you're planning on dropping, or only having two a-levels if you drop physics ). I would email the medical schools that don't require biology and see if they would accept the subjects you're doing at the moment.

Whilst doing Biology in a year would probably open a lot of doors for you, it would also be risky in itself. You will still need AAA and you don't want to jeopardise that by taking on too much.

Thank you again!

Can't you do the AS in year 13 for biology only as many medical schools require only the AS biology.
I'm pretty sure you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Bloom77
Can't you do the AS in year 13 for biology only as many medical schools require only the AS biology.
I'm pretty sure you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I would have said. But I don't think it's possible anymore with the new a level. There will be no AS exams next year for them to sit. The last ones are this year I think.
You could attempt it in one year. I'm not sue if you'd be eligible for any foundation courses but have a look.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
That's what I would have said. But I don't think it's possible anymore with the new a level. There will be no AS exams next year for them to sit. The last ones are this year I think.
You could attempt it in one year. I'm not sue if you'd be eligible for any foundation courses but have a look.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You would only be able to get the certificates of the AS if that makes sense, so she can sit the AS biology in year 13 which the year 12's sit.
Although, I'm not sure how your school does it.
Some schools do mocks instead of taking exams in year 12 which are sent to university instead

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Bloom77
You would only be able to get the certificates of the AS if that makes sense, so she can sit the AS biology in year 13 which the year 12's sit.
Although, I'm not sure how your school does it.
Some schools do mocks instead of taking exams in year 12 which are sent to university instead

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the thing. I think they're being phased out completely. A lot of schools aren't gonna be sitting them at all. OP might have to do it outside of school. The best thing is to speak to someone at school to find out their options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
That's the thing. I think they're being phased out completely. A lot of schools aren't gonna be sitting them at all. OP might have to do it outside of school. The best thing is to speak to someone at school to find out their options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh okay
My school sits the AS's created by the exam board
If ur school doesn't do it OP, then I suggest sitting it privately and get a good tutor too because biology as level isn't easy Imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ForestCat
I think you might find yourself in a tricky situation. A lot of medical schools don't view further maths as separate to maths, so may only see you as doing three A-levels without a fourth as (if f.maths is what you're planning on dropping, or only having two a-levels if you drop physics ). I would email the medical schools that don't require biology and see if they would accept the subjects you're doing at the moment.

Whilst doing Biology in a year would probably open a lot of doors for you, it would also be risky in itself. You will still need AAA and you don't want to jeopardise that by taking on too much.

Thanks for your help. I know this about further maths, so if I don't take biology, I will either carry on with 4 next year or drop FM. Will it be a problem that it might be viewed that I only did 3 AS's?Do you know if they will consider it as an A* for my offer or ignore it completely?
Reply 8
Original post by mliela

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, exactly. AS exams are being phased out completely- there won't be an option to take them at any schools next year as far as I'm aware.
Yes, exactly. AS exams are being phased out completely- there won't be an option to take them at any schools next year as far as I'm aware.

But the year 12's currently are doing the new AS's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your help. I know this about further maths, so if I don't take biology, I will either carry on with 4 next year or drop FM. Will it be a problem that it might be viewed that I only did 3 AS's?Do you know if they will consider it as an A* for my offer or ignore it completely?

Some seemed to accept it at AS but not at A Level as separate which is why I dropped it. I only got into my medical school (Liverpool) because my school had forced me to do Critical Thinking because they didn't accept FM but needed a fourth AS at grade B (despite getting an A in FM, its stupid I know!) I recommend just looking into each university individually and then contacting the ones you'd want to apply to about your situation. Hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Bloom77
But the year 12's currently are doing the new AS's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is the last year. And not all schools are doing them. Some schools are only doing them for a few subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
This is the last year. And not all schools are doing them. Some schools are only doing them for a few subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, but AS's still exist, they just don't count properly cause you'll have to do it again in the following year but it's better than nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending