The Student Room Group

Why do leftists love Islam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by KingBradly
Why do they love Islam so much that they shrug their shoulders when its followers rape women in the street? Why do they have the attitude of "it's just their culture man" when Muslims behead gays? Just wondering. Why is it OK for Muslims to act like this but it's not OK for non-Muslims to wear shirts with naughty cartoon pictures of ladies on it?

Pavlovian complex toward the right-wingers. The other motivation is that they know they cannot control them so they try to pleasure them to not be violent.
Original post by animus1

thereligion.JPG
Enlarge photo to see more
Original post by slaven
The other motivation is that they know they cannot control them so they try to pleasure them to not be violent.

Precisely. They would rather we give up core values so as to not 'offend' anyone.
Hey I know you @Aceadria
Indian right?
Reply 84
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
It may say you should kill gays, but my morals say that you shouldn't, people can live their life how they choose. Killing people for who they are is wrong. I know it may not be that of which the Koran teaches, but it is MY view.:smile:
But this raises the question, if you believe that the morality of a religion is wrong, why do you follow it?

It is completely illogical to say "I belive that X is absolutely true and perfect, but at the same time, I believe that X is wrong".
Leviticus 20:13, "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them."

You guys are acting as if only the Quran only condemns homosexuality. Every single Abrahamic book condemns this. Now just because you guys have been accepting gays for the past 10 years or so does not give you the right to just forget about over 2000 years of torturing and abusing gays. It has taken you guys about 2000 years to accept gays since the release of the bible. Since the Quran is only 1400 years old, in that sense, Islamic countries should accept gays in the year 2600 AD.
You guys have no sense of time. Just imagine yourselves 600 years ago.
Reply 86
Original post by shakeebshams
Leviticus 20:13, "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them."

You guys are acting as if only the Quran only condemns homo's. Every single Abrahamic book condemns this. Now just because you guys have been accepting gays for the past 10 years or so does not give you the right to just forget about over 2000 years of torturing and abusing gays. It has taken you guys about 2000 years to accept gays since the release of the bible. Since the Quran is only 1400 years old, in that sense, Islamic countries should accept gays in the year 2600 AD.

I don't think that is quite how you can look at it (yes the religion is younger, but the development of the people is not).

Not to mention, if you do look at it that way, it is even more reason to say not to let Islam come to us. After all it is 600 years younger behind in its cultural and ethical development - we don't want to be put back 600 years in ours.

And well if you bothered to read properly, you'd have noticed that most of us are not simply against Islam, but against religion in general. The issue we want to highlight though is that while yes other religions have similarly violent and discriminatory ideas, these religions are more open to change. Try to be less invasive in the lives of their followers. Have less of an impact on politics, laws, culture in the countries where they are the majority.
Reply 87
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Not all Muslim countries treat Women badly , Turkey has more female head of states than any another lol
No it hasn't!
It has had one woman prime minister and no women presidents!

Did someone tell you that or did you just make it up yourself?

The actual situation is that despite recent legal moves at ensuring gender equality, discrimination is still rife, due to long-standing religious and cultural values. Turkey ranks very low in gender equality index tables.
This is not helped by the president making statements like “men and women are not equal; it is against nature”!
http://www.tr.undp.org/content/turkey/en/home/ourwork/democraticgovernance/in_depth/WomenEmpowermentandGenderEquality.html

http://europesworld.org/2015/02/23/gender-inequality-may-yet-another-obstacle-turkeys-eu-membership/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Turkey
Reply 88
Islam is a religion of peace.
Meaningless platitude.
Islam is a religion of peace and violence, tolerance and intolerance, equality and discrimination.
To claim otherwise is to deny the evidence of the Quran and sunnah.
Reply 89
Here are some quotes from the Prophet regarding ISIS:
1,400 years ago, Muhammad prophesized that a time would come when nothing would remain of Islam but its name, nothing of the Quran but its word, and that many "Mosques would be splendidly furnished but destitute of guidance". In these latter days, the true spiritual essence of Islam would be lost, and religion, for the most part, would be reduced to a ritualistic compulsion.
Does that sound more like Mecca, or Raqqa?
Reply 90
I respect all religions, races, and cultures, big or small, minor or major. They have their own unique beliefs and they are all very special. I, on behalf of all the followers of Islam, give you a heartfelt apology regarding all the intolerant, extremist views, and the killing of innocent people. I condemn this, and it is horrifying to see such actions.
The problem is, you can't do this.
There are millions of Muslims who do not respect different cultures or beliefs. Many millions believe that people should be killed for the beliefs or sexual behaviour (under the right circumstances).
By definition, anyone who follows traditional Islam to the letter and rejects the modern, revisionist interpretations, holds intolerant, extremist views.
Reply 91
So, not the existence of Allah, the content of the Quran, or the example of Muhammad then?

Perhaps you're not really cut out to be a Muslim?
I want anyone to tell me, Has the bible been edited by humans to suit their needs?
Original post by offhegoes
There are bands of Buddhist monks as we speak killing men, women and children on religious grounds. I know little about Buddhist scripture, but Buddhist is clearly not immune from being a justification for violence.

For your point to have any validity you have to provide anything in Buddhist scripture that justifies the killing in Burma and Sri Lanka.

(I have just returned from a trip to the latter btw and it is clear that the violence there is communitarian and tribal. A good comparison would be Northern Ireland, where the hatred and death has been caused by centuries of internecine bitterness and no-one gives a toss about the doctrine of transubstantiation).

You say you know little about it, well do some research, educate yourself. I say you won't find it but am willing to be proven wrong if you can do so.

I could find scores of invocations to cause violence in the Koran and Hadith as presumably you well know?

If not, perhaps you should read the Koran and get up to speed?
Reply 94
I want anyone to tell me, Has the bible been edited by humans to suit their needs?

Of course. Hence why it is so patriarchal - it was written by men.

It's the same with the Koran, Muhammed told people the so-called word of God to control an entire people and help him lead them on conquests. It was then later written down by people who again would have adapted it to suit their needs.

I don't really understand the point of this question, in general nor in relation to this thread.
Reply 95
BTW, The website, is banned in my country(islamic country). The website is run by anti-islamists who propagate these false matters and thus is banned by the government. Every body knows about this site.
Why would the government block the site if it was all lies? Surely the best response is to point out and ridicule the flaws and failings.

History shows us that authoritarian regimes actually suppress the truth and feed the population misinformation and propaganda.
Original post by JezWeCan!
For your point to have any validity you have to provide anything in Buddhist scripture that justifies the killing in Burma and Sri Lanka.

(I have just returned from a trip to the latter btw and it is clear that the violence there is communitarian and tribal. A good comparison would be Northern Ireland, where the hatred and death has been caused by centuries of internecine bitterness and no-one gives a toss about the doctrine of transubstantiation).

You say you know little about it, well do some research, educate yourself. I say you won't find it but am willing to be proven wrong if you can do so.

I could find scores of invocations to cause violence in the Koran and Hadith as presumably you well know?

If not, perhaps you should read the Koran and get up to speed?

It's funny how non-muslims act as if they have read the quran to entirety.

Heck, Arabic speakers NEED a literal translation of the Quran to understand it. People all over the world know this. I have yet to see a single arabic speaker that reads the quran and says that s/he understands it. Yet you guys just pick up quotes and and argue about it.

The Quranic verse about killing all infidels is placed IN the war of Uhud. In this war there were 1000 muslims and about 10,000 infidels (The muslims won in the end) for the conquest of Makkah. This verse has no relation of going out in the street and killing others for no reason. The infidels mentioned in the verse are the opponents IN the war. That's what the opponents were called in the war of Uhud.
In places like Iraq and Syria, the children there are mostly orphans. Their parents have been killed by airstrikes, bombings, shootings etc. Their parents, siblings and relatives have been ruthlessly murdered in front of their eyes. I believe these attacks are more like revenge in the name of religion. There have been around 500,000 deaths in the Iraq war and around 470,000 in Syria so far. Millions have been displaced. Just imagine the type of conditions these children are living in. They will be growing up with complete HATE in their minds towards the western world. They wouldn't bother reading the Quran....how would they even get access to it? Violence just breeds more violence.
Reply 97

You guys are acting as if only the Quran only condemns homo's. Every single Abrahamic book condemns this.
Ah, "whataboutery". The last resort of the failed argument.

Yes, the Old Testament contains barbaric, violent and discriminatory passages, just like the Quran.
How does that make those passages in the Quran any better?

Now just because you guys have been accepting gays for the past 10 years or so does not give you the right to just forget about over 2000 years of torturing and abusing gays. It has taken you guys about 2000 years to accept gays since the release of the bible. Since the Quran is only 1400 years old, in that sense, Islamic countries should accept gays in the year 2600 AD.
Ridiculous argument. So you are claiming that Islam must wait another 600 years before realising that Allah was wrong about some stuff?
I thought that the Quran was supposed to be perfect and immutable. Your argument is saying that you know it isn't, but you won't put that knowledge into practice for 600 years!
Original post by QE2
Why would the government block the site if it was all lies? Surely the best response is to point out and ridicule the flaws and failings.

History shows us that authoritarian regimes actually suppress the truth and feed the population misinformation and propaganda.

It HAS BEEN POINTED OUT hundreds of times. Every person in the Islamic world knows about this website. This site is known as one of the best places for non-muslims to pick up quotes from and present their argument. It full of lies and even verses are changed. I remember on the news when this popped up when they completely added a new verse to the Quran made by themselves. This was of big concern and there have been attempts to bring down the website.

Why would an Islamic country ban an 'islamic website'? In my place, every other website seems to be working fine.
Reply 99
It's funny how non-muslims act as if they have read the quran to entirety.

Heck, Arabic speakers NEED a literal translation of the Quran to understand it. People all over the world know this. I have yet to see a single arabic speaker that reads the quran and says that s/he understands it. Yet you guys just pick up quotes and and argue about it.

The Quranic verse about killing all infidels is placed IN the war of Uhud. In this war there were 1000 muslims and about 10,000 infidels (The muslims won in the end) for the conquest of Makkah. This verse has no relation of going out in the street and killing others for no reason. The infidels mentioned in the verse are the opponents IN the war. That's what the opponents were called in the war of Uhud.
In places like Iraq and Syria, the children there are mostly orphans. Their parents have been killed by airstrikes, bombings, shootings etc. Their parents, siblings and relatives have been ruthlessly murdered in front of their eyes. I believe these attacks are more like revenge in the name of religion. There have been around 500,000 deaths in the Iraq war and around 470,000 in Syria so far. Millions have been displaced. Just imagine the type of conditions these children are living in. They will be growing up with complete HATE in their minds towards the western world. They wouldn't bother reading the Quran....how would they even get access to it? Violence just breeds more violence.

Even if that is true, it makes it very easy to abuse.

You are quite right violence breeds violence. And now take this kid, one of those you talked about, he hears from you that it is not ok to kill infidel, the part of the text is about something specific not in general. Then comes another person and disagrees with you. And suddenly this kid full of hate has someone telling him it is God's will to kill infidel. Suddenly this kid full of hatred has divine justification.

That's a pretty strong motive, divine justification. And one that can be abused for so many things. And I am convinced if that divine justification didn't exist, there would be a lot more peace and happiness in the world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending