The Student Room Group

Aqa sociology resit 2016

Scroll to see replies

I thought the questions were okay but the lone mothers in number 2 really got me! I just wrote 1 point- it's due to the assumptions made about women being naturally suited to be the home maker/ nurturer and couldn't think of a second point😔 Question 5 was good but I was confused with the way the question was structured so spent about 5 mins rereading the question but I wrote about the ideal family of talcott parsons 'nuclear and how the needs of those family change depending on the social structure it's found in and this change results in loss of function (so unit of production) and then I wrote about new right and how they disliked family diversity - and critisised with feminism but I ran out of time and I made bullet points of the 5 diversity of family(rapports) or something and wrote what they were and becks (risk society) so my question is, is it possible to gain few marks with just bullet points and a little bit of explanation?
i hope you all did well and get the grades! 🙏🏻😆
Original post by Elinapun
I thought the questions were okay but the lone mothers in number 2 really got me! I just wrote 1 point- it's due to the assumptions made about women being naturally suited to be the home maker/ nurturer and couldn't think of a second point😔 Question 5 was good but I was confused with the way the question was structured so spent about 5 mins rereading the question but I wrote about the ideal family of talcott parsons 'nuclear and how the needs of those family change depending on the social structure it's found in and this change results in loss of function (so unit of production) and then I wrote about new right and how they disliked family diversity - and critisised with feminism but I ran out of time and I made bullet points of the 5 diversity of family(rapports) or something and wrote what they were and becks (risk society) so my question is, is it possible to gain few marks with just bullet points and a little bit of explanation?
i hope you all did well and get the grades! 🙏🏻😆

i thought this was the hardest paper ever set in the syllabus

both questions were really tricky. normally they have one tricky question and one simple question like 'assess feminist contribution to the family' but the questions were disgusting.
ah well on to unit 2
Original post by xxvine
what is there even a topic for feminism?

what would write about practical factors influencing choice of methods...how would you structure it?

Ignore feminism i didn't mean to type that lol.

Practical factors include:

Time - Participant observation and unstructured take longer than surveys
Finance - Some methods cheaper than others e.g. postal questionnaires are cheap
Source of funding - Sponsered by government? Business? Charity? Often easier to get funding for quantitative research
Personal factors - Reseachers have family comittments etc, may not be able to do lengthy research in this field
Research opportunity - If opp suddenly appears, researcher may have no time to prepare lengthy questionnaires or interview schedules.
Personal danger - Methods involving direct contact with research group increase possibility of danger (this is also an ethical issue but point out that some cross over more than one category to get analysis marks)
Original post by Shavin
Hi, My teacher is predicting that either, feminism, family diversity, family universal or family losing its functions will come up. Last year she got them completly right however not as confident this year, obviously revise everything just in case :biggrin:

Your teacher was dead right! Does she have any predictions for education paper next week old spec?
Original post by Socychoictraphy
Ignore feminism i didn't mean to type that lol.

Practical factors include:

Time - Participant observation and unstructured take longer than surveys
Finance - Some methods cheaper than others e.g. postal questionnaires are cheap
Source of funding - Sponsered by government? Business? Charity? Often easier to get funding for quantitative research
Personal factors - Reseachers have family comittments etc, may not be able to do lengthy research in this field
Research opportunity - If opp suddenly appears, researcher may have no time to prepare lengthy questionnaires or interview schedules.
Personal danger - Methods involving direct contact with research group increase possibility of danger (this is also an ethical issue but point out that some cross over more than one category to get analysis marks)

Okay but how would you structure it? What do you evaluate it
lol, I predicted all the questions so I'm quite happy, but I didn't feel confident with the equality question so I did that one last and only managed to fit in one paragraph of the feminist perspective and a sentence on parsons segregated conjugal roles... so I'm screwed for that one but I thoroughly enjoyed the functions of the family paired with family diversity one... :smile: hated the dependency ratio thing... wtf was that?!? then I find out everyone knew what to write :|
Original post by dreea1998
lol, I predicted all the questions so I'm quite happy, but I didn't feel confident with the equality question so I did that one last and only managed to fit in one paragraph of the feminist perspective and a sentence on parsons segregated conjugal roles... so I'm screwed for that one but I thoroughly enjoyed the functions of the family paired with family diversity one... :smile: hated the dependency ratio thing... wtf was that?!? then I find out everyone knew what to write :|

Size of the relationship of the non working population with the working population
Are you guys talking about AS or A2 Sociology?
Original post by Rehan Nasir
Are you guys talking about AS or A2 Sociology?

as
Original post by xxvine
Size of the relationship of the non working population with the working population

I know now... It would've been helpful to know during the exam though
I swear you guys are all flipping wizards if i had just checked tsr the 2nd 24 marker wouldve been a lot easier for me please do this for eduction!!
Thanks
Reply 131
Original post by trampolineboy99
Your teacher was dead right! Does she have any predictions for education paper next week old spec?

Haha I still managed to completly muck it up! But it's ok I'll just hope to do well in education, and yes I'll ask her when I next go in :biggrin:
Reply 132
Ok possible education essays: Labelling, Education policy, Social class differences, Marxism. Only possible, good luck :smile:
Social class is my main gut feeling of what will come up as the 20 marker essay. However, I reckon there's a good chance a theories question (functionalism, new right, Marxism) could come up as well
Original post by Thebeast97
Social class is my main gut feeling of what will come up as the 20 marker essay. However, I reckon there's a good chance a theories question (functionalism, new right, Marxism) could come up as well

New right has never come up
What about social class? Working classing underachievement
Original post by xxvine

i agree. i think ethnicity might come up as a 6 marker . am so worried about research methods it never sticks in my head, what do you think might come up for research methods?
Original post by xxvine

i agree. i think ethnicity might come up as a 6 marker . am so worried about research methods it never sticks in my head, what do you think might come up for research methods?
How do you structure/answer question 5 for unit 2?? I can never do it, I always get confused
Is it just me who is resitting unit 2
Original post by xxvine
Is it just me who is resitting unit 2

I am! :smile: how r u gettin on? what do you think might come up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending