The Student Room Group

Personality disorders: my experience

Personality Disorders
Mental Health Awareness Week 2016

Personality disorders are mental illnesses where an individual differs significantly from an average person, in terms of how they perceive, think, feel about or relate to others. According to the Royal College of Psychiatrists, in any given time, up to 1 in 20 people in England will have a personality disorder.

TSR is running a campaign all of this week for Mental Health Awareness Week 2016 to promote and inform others of the state of mental health and to try and reduce the stigmas associated with mental health.

As part of it being Mental Health Awareness Week, I thought I’d briefly share the story of my diagnosis before going onto briefly discuss 3 of the personality disorders that I live with on a daily basis.

My story (This content could be upsetting to some users):

Spoiler

Obsessive compulsive personality disorder

Spoiler

Symptoms of OCPD

Spoiler

OCPD… Is that not OCD?

Spoiler

Schizoid personality disorder

Spoiler

Symptoms of SPD:

Spoiler

Schizotypal personality disorder

Spoiler

Symptoms of schizotypal personality disorder

Spoiler

Treatment for personality disorders is usually a mixture of medication and therapy such as CBT or long term psychotherapy.

For more information on mental illness, the Mind and Rethink websites are a good place to start. The Samaritans, Childline and Nightline are also great if you need someone to speak to, and also have email and instant messaging services if you can't or don't want to speak out loud to someone. If you're struggling, your GP is always a good first point of call though!

You can post anonymously here.

We're holding various events and writing about lots of different themes throughout the week. Take a look here!

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:sad: hope you are good now :hugs: bullying deffo cause anyone to suffer from a mental illness, depends how severe it is... i got bullied in school too and i felt like i was worthless and dumb etc... my parents wante me to change school because we moved house and that school wasn't close to me... i refused to go to another school becausw i thought i will get bully again and all that cycle will start... i would rather stay in that school and tackle with the situation... but my parents moved me to that school (they didn't know that i was being bullied) so my new school... omg its just AMAZING, great people there and my self confidence is great :biggrin: i have best friends and haven't been bullied... maybe a little but not like i use to b in other school..
Bullying definitely effect people's mentally but almost everyone's gone through this stage...
Hope you are enjoying your life now :h:
:goodluck: for future :hugs:
Reply 2
Original post by fatima1998
:sad: hope you are good now :hugs: bullying deffo cause anyone to suffer from a mental illness, depends how severe it is... i got bullied in school too and i felt like i was worthless and dumb etc... my parents wante me to change school because we moved house and that school wasn't close to me... i refused to go to another school becausw i thought i will get bully again and all that cycle will start... i would rather stay in that school and tackle with the situation... but my parents moved me to that school (they didn't know that i was being bullied) so my new school... omg its just AMAZING, great people there and my self confidence is great :biggrin: i have best friends and haven't been bullied... maybe a little but not like i use to b in other school..
Bullying definitely effect people's mentally but almost everyone's gone through this stage...
Hope you are enjoying your life now :h:
:goodluck: for future :hugs:

Unfortunately I'm nowhere far from being better. :hugs: I don't think that my bullying experience contributed to my PDs that much; I think it's a mixture of bullying, always feeling different, a strict but loving bringing up, perhaps even genetics (it's been suggested but no concrete evidence exists yet).

I'm so glad things have worked out for you in your new school! :h: I had hoped that they would too for me at uni but alas that's not the case.
Hope you will get better :hugs: I think it's great to have a supporting bf to help you through the rough times :smile:

I read the OCPD list highlighted in red and I equally have those symptoms on a daily basis, didn't know it was a disorder in itself. Depending on the situation it can be bad but also a good thing :P just got to make the most of it
Thanks for this. And thank you for explaining the differences between OCD and OCPD. I've heard about the latter quite often and have never understood the differences.
Reply 5
Original post by Metrododo
Hope you will get better :hugs: I think it's great to have a supporting bf to help you through the rough times :smile:

I read the OCPD list highlighted in red and I equally have those symptoms on a daily basis, didn't know it was a disorder in itself. Depending on the situation it can be bad but also a good thing :P just got to make the most of it

Thank you. :hugs: My bf has been nothing but a miracle.

I think everyone has the symptoms of some PDs but it doesn't necessarily mean you have a mental illness. It has to be excessively impacting on your life; for example, for OCPD, the excessive adherence to rules. I suspect most people have that and that's fine, but for me it means that if I hear of rule breaking, see it done in front of me etc I actually feel physically sick, I get a sore stomach and head because it bothers me so much. :colondollar:
Reply 6
Original post by Tiger Rag
Thanks for this. And thank you for explaining the differences between OCD and OCPD. I've heard about the latter quite often and have never understood the differences.

No problem! I thought highlighting the difference was a must do. I've told people about OCPD and they dismissed it and told me I don't have a 'real PD' all because they understand it to be OCD instead. :rolleyes: Hope you're doing OK. :hugs:
:hugs: @Airmed it was very interesting to read your story.

I hope people will read this and realise that people's stereotypes of PD's can be wrong.

I also hope that your wait on the therapy list isn't that long :hugs:
Reply 8
Original post by Midnightmemories
:hugs: @Airmed it was very interesting to read your story.

I hope people will read this and realise that people's stereotypes of PD's can be wrong.

I also hope that your wait on the therapy list isn't that long :hugs:

Thank you. :hugs:
Original post by Airmed
Thank you. :hugs:

Damn, PRSOM.
Original post by Airmed

I think everyone has the symptoms of some PDs but it doesn't necessarily mean you have a mental illness. It has to be excessively impacting on your life; for example, for OCPD, the excessive adherence to rules. I suspect most people have that and that's fine, but for me it means that if I hear of rule breaking, see it done in front of me etc I actually feel physically sick, I get a sore stomach and head because it bothers me so much. :colondollar:

Haha I get what you mean - I used to be pretty bad with that. I think the way to see it is that ultimately rules will be broken, and you got to appreciate in the great scheme of things which ones are more important. IE times when you see someone cheat in an exam - it's annoying but it's not as bad as say serious criminal charges. Acceptance that **** happens is key and that the world isn't perfect :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Metrododo
Haha I get what you mean - I used to be pretty bad with that. I think the way to see it is that ultimately rules will be broken, and you got to appreciate in the great scheme of things which ones are more important. IE times when you see someone cheat in an exam - it's annoying but it's not as bad as say serious criminal charges. Acceptance that **** happens is key and that the world isn't perfect :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your words are true but I've a very black and white thinking pattern. No rules should be broken. I know the world isn't perfect however. :frown:
Original post by Airmed
Your words are true but I've a very black and white thinking pattern. No rules should be broken. I know the world isn't perfect however. :frown:

Hmm, rules after all are established by humans that are subjective in their decisions - meaning the "objective" truthiness of rules is just an illusion :holmes: but I understand what you mean
I think this is a brave and really useful post! I am diagnosed with Emotionally Unstable (Borderline) Personality Disorder, and I even face stigma in mh services/from some staff!!

Hoping to become a mh nurse and work with PD sufferers to break down this stigma and make sure service users with PDs get the help they need. I'm quite lucky that there are lots of PD specific services in my area, but in some places people are discharged from services completely with a PD dx :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by ChancedTravels
I think this is a brave and really useful post! I am diagnosed with Emotionally Unstable (Borderline) Personality Disorder, and I even face stigma in mh services/from some staff!!

Hoping to become a mh nurse and work with PD sufferers to break down this stigma and make sure service users with PDs get the help they need. I'm quite lucky that there are lots of PD specific services in my area, but in some places people are discharged from services completely with a PD dx :frown:

Thank you. :hugs: I also have BPD but I thought because it's more known it would be better to focus on the lesser known ones. Unfortunately it seems there is not a lot of PD services in my area.
Thanks for writing this - was really interesting to hear about this and to hear from suffering more than one PD (if i have understood correctly). I have BPD too and it is literally horrendous to live with daily. Hope you get seen soon as poss, waits are too long. I waited 10 months to see a PD service but I know others wait even longer than this which really sucks.
Original post by Airmed
Personality Disorders
Mental Health Awareness Week 2016

Personality disorders are mental illnesses where an individual differs significantly from an average person, in terms of how they perceive, think, feel about or relate to others. According to the Royal College of Psychiatrists, in any given time, up to 1 in 20 people in England will have a personality disorder.

TSR is running a campaign all of this week for Mental Health Awareness Week 2016 to promote and inform others of the state of mental health and to try and reduce the stigmas associated with mental health.

As part of it being Mental Health Awareness Week, I thought I’d briefly share the story of my diagnosis before going onto briefly discuss 3 of the personality disorders that I live with on a daily basis.

My story (This content could be upsetting to some users):

Spoiler

Obsessive compulsive personality disorder

Spoiler

Symptoms of OCPD

Spoiler

OCPD… Is that not OCD?

Spoiler

Schizoid personality disorder

Spoiler

Symptoms of SPD:

Spoiler

Schizotypal personality disorder

Spoiler

Symptoms of schizotypal personality disorder

Spoiler

Treatment for personality disorders is usually a mixture of medication and therapy such as CBT or long term psychotherapy.

For more information on mental illness, the Mind and Rethink websites are a good place to start. The Samaritans, Childline and Nightline are also great if you need someone to speak to, and also have email and instant messaging services if you can't or don't want to speak out loud to someone. If you're struggling, your GP is always a good first point of call though!

You can post anonymously here.

We're holding various events and writing about lots of different themes throughout the week. Take a look here!

I have BPD and it's draining me so much...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Airmed

Is it possible to suffer from both OCD and OCPD?

I have never heard of OCPD but having read through the list, I seem to have several of the syntoms you mentioned. It is affecting me severely, particularly my perfectionism and my inability to delegate tasks. It may be caused by my anxiety, I'm not sure, but the things you mention all sound very familiar.

I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression and after going through a traumatic experience, I spend considerably more time checking things and it's affecting my life quite considerably at the moment. I have been referred to mental health services in my area and they suggested that I might have OCD but I haven't been officially diagnosed as I am currently on a waiting list to see someone. Do you think it would be worth mentioning to them that I seem to have syntoms of OCPD as well?
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous
Is it possible to suffer from both OCD and OCPD?

I have never heard of OCPD but having read through the list, I seem to have several of the syntoms you mentioned. It is affecting me severely, particularly my perfectionism and my inability to delegate tasks. It may be caused by my anxiety, I'm not sure, but the things you mention all sound very familiar.

I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression and after going through a traumatic experience, I spend considerably more time checking things and it's affecting my life quite considerably at the moment. I have been referred to mental health services in my area and they suggested that I might have OCD but I haven't been officially diagnosed as I am currently on a waiting list to see someone. Do you think it would be worth mentioning to them that I seem to have syntoms of OCPD as well?

Yes, it is possible to suffer from both at the same time. You can possibly mention OCPD, but personality disorders can only be diagnosed with a psychiatrist, and symptoms must be present for at least 2 years (if you're an adult). I hope you get the help you need! :hugs:

Original post by Jenx301
Thanks for writing this - was really interesting to hear about this and to hear from suffering more than one PD (if i have understood correctly). I have BPD too and it is literally horrendous to live with daily. Hope you get seen soon as poss, waits are too long. I waited 10 months to see a PD service but I know others wait even longer than this which really sucks.

Yeah, unfortunately more than one. I also suffer from BPD, narcissistic personality disorder, and avoidant personality disorder (the last two are the less extreme ones). Strangely enough I think the crushing waves of paranoia, sadness and voices are the worst. I hope I am seen at some point. I met with my psychiatrist yesterday and he's useless. Meet my CPN tomorrow so hopefully he will have answers. :hugs:
Thank you for sharing your story. Sending you hugs. I suffer from anxiety, and used to have ED as well. What helped me the most was exercise (finding something I love, set goals and work everyday towards it while enjoying it) and my boyfriend (unconditional support). I've been 2 years ED-free and 10 months of no self-harm! Keep going :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest