The Student Room Group

Exam invigilator scratched up my phone

I was sitting my OCR 21ST Century Science C123 exam, exam invigilators took the phones in as they always do. So I give my phone to this older lady and she takes it, next thing i see is her putting it screen down on the bench (which already made me pissed) and to make it even worse she slid it across the bench with her hand on it. After the exam I inspected the phone and I see a bigass scratch going across my screen, i was leaving school by then so i couldnt do anything really. My question is, what can i do now?

Scroll to see replies

umm, I feel really sorry for you. I don't think you can do anything about it apart from fixing the screen yourself. Invigilators don't care about 'good customer service'. You can't exactly call the exam-board and complain about the invigilators - they would probably just apologise and that's it.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's what you get.
You could have just left your phone in your bag, it's what I used to do.

It sucks and it's unlucky but I don't think there's a lot you can do about this, sorry.
Original post by LemonSeed
umm, I feel really sorry for you. I don't think you can do anything about it apart from fixing the screen yourself. Invigilators don't care about 'good customer service'. You can't exactly call the exam-board and complain about the invigilators - they would probably just apologise and that's it.

well i hope there is something i can do, i think invigilators are employed by my school because they have staff badges and really old pictures on them, and they were there when i did my polish gcse 5 years ago too. maybe the school can do something
Original post by pizzanomics
You could have just left your phone in your bag, it's what I used to do.

It sucks and it's unlucky but I don't think there's a lot you can do about this, sorry.

the thing is, we leave our bags in the dining hall for the exams, to which everyone has access to at all times. I dont want to risk leaving it there. I will try my best to un-**** my situation.
thanks for the reply
Original post by genesisgaming
the thing is, we leave our bags in the dining hall for the exams, to which everyone has access to at all times. I dont want to risk leaving it there. I will try my best to un-**** my situation.
thanks for the reply

We also had to leave our bags in the dining hall during exams, and for A levels our bags were left either in a busy corridor or the exam room itself. It's highly unlikely anyone will steal anything from your bag. I've never known anyone to have anything stolen (whether it be a phone or money or a textbook), but obviously it's not impossible.

The easiest option is to just not bring your phone in to school full stop but I understand that's probably kind of difficult if you need it to arrange getting home or whatever.
I was sitting my OCR 21ST Century Science C123 exam, exam invigilators took the phones in as they always do. So I give my phone to this older lady and she takes it, next thing i see is her putting it screen down on the bench (which already made me pissed) and to make it even worse she slid it across the bench with her hand on it. After the exam I inspected the phone and I see a bigass scratch going across my screen, i was leaving school by then so i couldnt do anything really. My question is, what can i do now?

hi in terms of law it depends on what the school policy is on mobile phones: does it say that you are not allowed mobile phones in school??
Original post by lascelles101
hi in terms of law it depends on what the school policy is on mobile phones: does it say that you are not allowed mobile phones in school??

we officially arent allowed phones in school but the senior management including head teacher that it is ok if we have them switched off in our pockets. its never been an issue for me at all.
well i hope there is something i can do, i think invigilators are employed by my school because they have staff badges and really old pictures on them, and they were there when i did my polish gcse 5 years ago too. maybe the school can do something

good luck then :smile: next time leave your phone in your bag like every single person in my entire year does :P
Reply 10
small claims court, sue the bitch.
we officially arent allowed phones in school but the senior management including head teacher that it is ok if we have them switched off in our pockets. its never been an issue for me at all.

yor sch is running a no see no take policy however im sorry to tell you, but if the official policy is no phones, then there is no chance of getting any compensation/money for a new screen. the school will not be insured for it as it is personal property
Original post by nobbono
small claims court, sue the bitch.

IMPOSSIABLE, the school will not have insurance on personal property, that's why I asked about the policy of schools.
yor sch is running a no see no take policy however im sorry to tell you, but if the official policy is no phones, then there is no chance of getting any compensation/money for a new screen. the school will not be insured for it as it is personal property

it does say in our school journals that the phones should be turned off in our pockets or in the school office. so i dont know
the best thing you can do is to make a formal complaint to the exams officer, head teacher and the head of year/house
IMPOSSIABLE, the school will not have insurance on personal property, that's why I asked about the policy of schools.

i will speak to senior management in school tomorrow see what i can do
i will speak to senior management in school tomorrow see what i can do

definiatly, what sch do u go?? I can check the policy if u would like??
Reply 17

He's not suing the school, I'm saying sue her personally, the school's insurance is irrelevant. Her negligent actions caused him loss by damaging his property.
Get it fixed, send her a bill, if she refuses to pay, sue her. simples.
Reply 18

Policy is irrelevant, this is concerned with civil law.

^^^Seems legit.

Quick Reply

Latest