The Student Room Group

Can someone please explain hairdressers to me?

Hi, so I'm looking to get a decent haircut for my boyfriend's graduation and I've been looking at hairdressers' websites and I don't seem to understand the pricing and the different services...most offer either cut & finish or shampoo & finish, which to me sounds a bit confusing because I would assume that they'd wash your hair before cutting...? I've always gotten my hair done in Belgium and they'd automatically wash it so that's why the confusion. Is it always like this in the UK?

I'm guessing I'd have to call and ask the salons what the price would be for a wash, cut and blow service but it seems a bit steep to pay nearly £40 for them to just cut my hair without washing it...Also, I'm really phone shy and I don't want to sound like an idiot for asking them such a silly thing..!
Original post by amyjp
Hi, so I'm looking to get a decent haircut for my boyfriend's graduation and I've been looking at hairdressers' websites and I don't seem to understand the pricing and the different services...most offer either cut & finish or shampoo & finish, which to me sounds a bit confusing because I would assume that they'd wash your hair before cutting...? I've always gotten my hair done in Belgium and they'd automatically wash it so that's why the confusion. Is it always like this in the UK?

I'm guessing I'd have to call and ask the salons what the price would be for a wash, cut and blow service but it seems a bit steep to pay nearly £40 for them to just cut my hair without washing it...Also, I'm really phone shy and I don't want to sound like an idiot for asking them such a silly thing..!

Many hairdressers will cut your hair in the uk without washing it 1st, so it is normal to have two different prices for it (a shampoo and finish would just be washing and styling, no cut, no idea why people get that myself) . £40 is about how much i've paid in one of the nicest salons in my city, you can find cheaper though, maybe try supercuts if you want a lower price (i think they do it for £25 or so).
Reply 2
Call them up and find out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by claireestelle
Many hairdressers will cut your hair in the uk without washing it 1st, so it is normal to have two different prices for it (a shampoo and finish would just be washing and styling, no cut, no idea why people get that myself) . £40 is about how much i've paid in one of the nicest salons in my city, you can find cheaper though, maybe try supercuts if you want a lower price (i think they do it for £25 or so).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This one's a girl, I'd listen to her

My haircuts are like £7 to £10 but obvs I'm a boy.The Cut and finish means they don't wash and dry your hair first but they add a style to it before you go, this can be curling, straightening or whatever, the cut and finish normally costs £30 for girls in my area and the shampoo and finish, believe it or not is usually a very similar price, if it's more then it should be no more than 5 quid extra.

My advice to you is to look around your local hairdressers and have a chat with anyone that works there if you tell them your from Belgium then they're gonna understand and try and simplify the terms for you because some hairdressers in the UK even make up their own words that adds even more confusion for people like you lol
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This one's a girl, I'd listen to her

My haircuts are like £7 to £10 but obvs I'm a boy.The Cut and finish means they don't wash and dry your hair first but they add a style to it before you go, this can be curling, straightening or whatever, the cut and finish normally costs £30 for girls in my area and the shampoo and finish, believe it or not is usually a very similar price, if it's more then it should be no more than 5 quid extra.

My advice to you is to look around your local hairdressers and have a chat with anyone that works there if you tell them your from Belgium then they're gonna understand and try and simplify the terms for you because some hairdressers in the UK even make up their own words that adds even more confusion for people like you lol

Gents can't get them in my area for £10, i need to move to somewhere with cheaper hairdressers :P
Original post by claireestelle
Gents can't get them in my area for £10, i need to move to somewhere with cheaper hairdressers :P

lol my area is more expensive than that for blokes normally (Sheffield) but I've been here for 3 years and found a barbers in the Hood that do it for £6 or £7! You can do the same for girls in the hood it's gonna be like £20 for a full job that's what my mate says, and yes they do know how to cut white people's hair (although your probably gonna be the only white person there lol :smile: ) My guy thinks it's a treat cuz it's so easy to cut he says lol
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
lol my area is more expensive than that for blokes normally (Sheffield) but I've been here for 3 years and found a barbers in the Hood that do it for £6 or £7! You can do the same for girls in the hood it's gonna be like £20 for a full job that's what my mate says, and yes they do know how to cut white people's hair (although your probably gonna be the only white person there lol :smile: ) My guy thinks it's a treat cuz it's so easy to cut he says lol

Now thats a bargain :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks guys! I have already checked out some local hairdressers but I'm a bit unsure if they're going to do it well since I am planning to chop off quite a bit, not just split end maintenance! The nearest Supercuts is in Southampton, which isn't the closest option but the price seems a lot more reasonable :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending