The Student Room Group

SIGN MY E-PETITION--> “Different exams for private and state educated pupils”

Hi everyone,

I've created an e-petition in order to raise more awareness of the fact that private and state educated pupils are expected to take the same exams, even though the standards of education can be on two different ends of the spectrum. Ultimately private school pupils will perform better on exams and therefore have the opportunity to pick and choose where they want to attend university, whilst many kids from state schools will struggle to do well on the exams, and even if they do attend university, will end up with a mountain of debt after.

I realise that I have raised several different issues here, however my main point is that there is a gap between richer and poorer students and the government should be doing whatever they can to make it as small as possible. Did you know that 5 top independent schools send 2000 students to Oxbridge between them, each year?

Here's the link: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/130779

Thanks for the support, please pass on to as many people as possible!
I'm sorry, but I think this is life. It might well be that students from private schools have higher chances of attending top universities. But demanding exams to be changes due to that is ridiculous. In the end universities want students with most knowledge (amongst other things). Your suggestion is like allowing less talented people to become doctors, simply because their background is different. And even if your petition works, it may well be that universities will simply consider the 'private school exams' as more difficult and give them a better weighting.
Instead of complaining how things are unfair you could do work instead to ensure a good placement.
Original post by Canttellyou
Hi everyone,

I've created an e-petition in order to raise more awareness of the fact that private and state educated pupils are expected to take the same exams, even though the standards of education can be on two different ends of the spectrum. Ultimately private school pupils will perform better on exams and therefore have the opportunity to pick and choose where they want to attend university, whilst many kids from state schools will struggle to do well on the exams, and even if they do attend university, will end up with a mountain of debt after.

I realise that I have raised several different issues here, however my main point is that there is a gap between richer and poorer students and the government should be doing whatever they can to make it as small as possible. Did you know that 5 top independent schools send 2000 students to Oxbridge between them, each year?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4207-Community-Rules#Noa

5. Links to national and international petitions can be posted on TSR but please post responsibly bearing these points in mind:
5a. Only e petitions created on http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/ or www.change.org can be included in the original post (OP).
5b. Please only post e-petitions or change.org petitions that already have 100 signatures that have a national focus or a broader international focus
5c. e-petitions are created by a member of the public to influence government and Parliament in the UK. An e-petition can be created about anything that the government is responsible for and if it gets at least 100,000 signatures, it will be considered for debate in the House of Commons. Change.org is the world's largest petition platform, empowering people everywhere to create the change they want to see.
5d. The OP should be an opinion piece with a poll, representing a point of view and providing the community with an opportunity to engage with the debate, post in a poll and sign the petition via the link posted should they wish.
5e. Only one e-petition per thread. Any subsequent links posted within the thread will be removed. Members are encouraged to start a new thread in a relevant forum which can include the e-petition
5f. The following petition threads will be removed:
- petitions which are not approved e-petitions established via epetitions.direct.gov.uk/ or change.org
- petitions with less than 100 signatures
- petitions focusing on a local change and not one which will potentially be rolled out nationally or internationally
- Where the original post only has a petition link included with no inclusion of a poll and a written statement.
- Where the same e-petition has been posted twice it will be removed in line with the rules on spamming

Members are prohibited from posting e-petitions in the Study Help forums. Any petition focused on education should be posted in the Educational Debate forum or the most appropriate forum in the Debate and Current Affairs section.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
If private schools had harder exams and Unis considered both state students and private students equally then private schooling would become obsolete. I read somewhere that for students that achieved the same grades at A level for the same course, the state students got a point/grade higher in their degree for that course on average. So perhaps Unis would consider students from state school over private students when deciding who to give an offer to (assuming they have the same grades)
Reply 5
This has to be the stupidest idea ever.

Private school does not sprinkle A grade fairy dust. If you don't work, you won' achieve your grades.

If someone really wants to do well, they will get top grades regardless of the school. That is if they genuinely are really passionate about doing well
are u a student who is complaining?? U are getting a free education, u are very lucky
Reply 7
Original post by Pyslocke
If private schools had harder exams and Unis considered both state students and private students equally then private schooling would become obsolete. I read somewhere that for students that achieved the same grades at A level for the same course, the state students got a point/grade higher in their degree for that course on average. So perhaps Unis would consider students from state school over private students when deciding who to give an offer to (assuming they have the same grades)

Most uni's do that. You would be surprised how many.

We were told this by our guidance teacher who has met with admissions officers before who told him that they favour state school pupils by giving them extra points
Hi everyone,

That stat about the 5 top independant school sending 2000 students to oxbridge between them each year is obviously not true.

This is taken from the guardian
"Westminster, Eton, St Pauls, St Pauls Girls School and Hills Road sixth form college, a state school, produced 946 Oxbridge entrants from 2007-09."
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/jul/08/school-applications-oxbridge-selection

Please actually do research rather than just spewing overexaggerated misleading information.
Hi everyone,

Ok so because they may be better educated, private school students won't be allowed to take exams used by state school pupils
New exams have to be created for private school pupils
Everyone would know that the private exams are more rigorous than the state exams.
Everyone then knows the state exams are easier and judges candidates accordingly.
Good schools would enter good candidates for the private exams, most state school students would be condemned to a second rate qualification.

Like vast numbers of state school students, I didn't need a different qualification to successfully compete with privately educated kids for a uni place or for jobs after graduation. Government should be doing everything they can to boost attainment of state school pupils. Giving them an easier qualification doesn't improve their ability to succeed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
private schools raise the grade boundaries, SEPARATE EXAMSSSS
Errr, you may not wanna post this on TSR where so many do go private schools.

I think all children should have equal opportunity in life and private schools go against that principal.

However, private schools usually have selective entry so it may be more valid if you extended it to grammar schools too.

As someone who goes to a grammar school (obviously im biased and against the agenda) im going to say that this proposal is unfair, simply because those who go private schools are generally smarter.
Hi everyone,

Some State schools e.g QE barnet do better than other private schools e.g. St Columbas St Albans. So you would unfairly punish bad private schools. This motion will ultimately fail.

Also, you lied "5 top independent schools send 2000 students to Oxbridge between them, each year". This is ********
Five elite British schools are sending more pupils to Oxford and Cambridge than all of the country's 2000 comprehensives and colleges combined, a study has revealed.
(edited 7 years ago)
I feel like I'm able to give even a slightly valid response to this, as I've attended both a private school and a state school.

No, they should not have different exams. The school I used to attend is the private school- their grades are really quite low. I mean, when I left after doing my 13+ Common Entrance in Year 8, yes, I got 3 As and a few Bs, but that was the highest out of the three of us. The school in itself isn't doing amazingly; of course, I know in no way that that reflects off of the private school system as a whole.

However... my current school has a sixth form. We got 25% A*/A in the iGCSE English Language in November. Over 85% of students in the GCSE cohort last year got A*-C in at least 9 subjects, and this year, everyone on average is studying 13-15 subjects. In the sixth form, there were 5 Oxbridge applicants last year, 4 of which attended the school itself; 2 of these candidates got A*A*A* in their A Levels, and both went to Oxford and Cambridge to study Medicine respectively.

Of course, these are just small segments of data. Overall though, my point is that the amount of work you put in, as both an individual and a school, will reflect what you get out. Our school offer constant 'turbo sessions' as a way of ensuring we do well in exams, and since they started that A* grades at GCSE have risen by 24% [or so]. Other schools- such as the private and grammar schools my two friends go to- use 'study leave', and they're doing much worse than they anticipated.

This alone should explain to you that there is not a need for private/grammar/independent schools to be given a different treatment than state/senior/mainstream schools. Someone attending Eton can do just as well as someone attending one of the 329 failing secondary schools, as long as they put the effort in. I'm fully happy for my Latin exam to be compared to someone from Eton- after all, we're both humans, and both put in a relative amount of work.
Reply 14
i go to a private school and i go igcses so that doesn't affect you

Quick Reply

Latest