The Student Room Group

I've failed my C1 Edexcel Maths (2016 May) Re-take?

Hi, I'm not really sure what's going on with the new rules and everything but I know I have failed my C1 maths, so no way i will be able to score high in C2 or D1 (enough to pull it up much).

I'm thinking, worst comes to worst, I will have to re-sit but we are only allowed to re-sit in June/May now because we don't have Jan ones anymore.

Does this mean we have to re-do the year (go to AS maths lessons) again and take it along with out A2 maths too?

Also, is it worth resitting or should I just forget it and focus on A2 Maths instead?

Scroll to see replies

I don't do maths but am doing some resits. The resits I'm doing are just alongside my A2s as I'm not redoing the whole year for anything. Unless you have to redo a whole year (so taking 3 years to complete) then it's fine to do them at the same time, so long as you personally feel you can manage the workload :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Kugelmugel
I don't do maths but am doing some resits. The resits I'm doing are just alongside my A2s as I'm not redoing the whole year for anything. Unless you have to redo a whole year (so taking 3 years to complete) then it's fine to do them at the same time, so long as you personally feel you can manage the workload :smile:

Oh i see. I am just SO worried that I got a U/fail overall, which means that they may not even let me carry onto A2 Maths. I don't know what I will do then, because I am definitely not staying for 3 years to complete it all.
Reply 3
you can always sit maths as an external candidate. It's the easiest one to do it for as there isn't any coursework and you can practically choose which modules you want to do.
Reply 4
Original post by thad33
you can always sit maths as an external candidate. It's the easiest one to do it for as there isn't any coursework and you can practically choose which modules you want to do.

Ah really?? I've never heard of this before. Are there certain procedures into applying to become one?
If you get an E and above you can resit it, you just prepare for the resits in your spare time, and do the exams with your A2 ones. But sometimes your sixthform wants a D to continue a subject to A2 (mine wanted an E).

If you get a U, you cannot do the subject at A2.
Reply 6
Original post by katie15999
Ah really?? I've never heard of this before. Are there certain procedures into applying to become one?

There should be a college in your city/town that accepts external candidates. Usually the private sixth forms let you sit them. That's what I've done.
You contact them to tell them what exams you'll be sitting and then you pay the entrance fees for the exam and a one off admin charge for dealing with the paper work etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm not really sure what's going on with the new rules and everything but I know I have failed my C1 maths, so no way i will be able to score high in C2 or D1 (enough to pull it up much).

I'm thinking, worst comes to worst, I will have to re-sit but we are only allowed to re-sit in June/May now because we don't have Jan ones anymore.

Does this mean we have to re-do the year (go to AS maths lessons) again and take it along with out A2 maths too?

Also, is it worth resitting or should I just forget it and focus on A2 Maths instead?

If you have "failed" C1 then you should not continue maths to A2.
If you haven't done as well as you feel you could or should have done then you can resit C1 next year by revising in your own time while studying the A2 content.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are there going to be resists in November?
Reply 9
You can still resit C1 next year with your a2 modules. Just make sure you get a resonably high grade in C2 and whatever other module you picked to make up for the lost ums marks.

I wish you the best of luck next Wednesday.
Reply 10
Original post by whydoidothis?
If you get an E and above you can resit it, you just prepare for the resits in your spare time, and do the exams with your A2 ones. But sometimes your sixthform wants a D to continue a subject to A2 (mine wanted an E).

If you get a U, you cannot do the subject at A2.

Oh I see. I take three AS subjects right now, let's say I do get a U grade in C1.

Does this mean I will leave college with two A-levels instead of three then? Is it even possible to leave with 2 or will they make you stay an extra year to either retake AS and then do A2? Sorry if this seems confusing...
Original post by d0ughnuts8991
Are there going to be resists in November?

Not for edexcel A levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the moment I am retaking 2 maths modules from last year plus this years A2 modules and lemme tell you one thing, it is STRESSFUL. I'd suggest you try to do well in C2 or D1 and wait for results. You never know.. you may have done better in C1 than you think you've done, think positive and don't lose hope. This should only motivate you to work hard to do well in the C2 and D1 exam :smile:
Do well in C2 & D1 & then resit core 1 only next year?
Oh I see. I take three AS subjects right now, let's say I do get a U grade in C1.

Does this mean I will leave college with two A-levels instead of three then? Is it even possible to leave with 2 or will they make you stay an extra year to either retake AS and then do A2? Sorry if this seems confusing...

Your AS maths is out of 300 ums. If you get a U in C1 you automatically lose 100 ums so you have to get an A to get a C or a D in AS maths. Just hope you get an E as your minimum grade in C1 and be sure to try and get 100 ums in D1 it shouldn't be too hard.

You can resit modules but if you find C1 hard then you might want to reconsider your options. I mean C3 and C4. Perhaps your being too paranoid and you came out with a C or something, this happens quite often.
Reply 15
I disagree with everyone saying you shouldn't carry it on. I failed AS maths due to being a **** student. I redone it and actually tried, ended up with an A so it's just about how much effort you put in.
Reply 16
If you've failed c1 I dont recommend doing A2 maths, I go to a college where people who got U's in Core 1 were allowed to continue to A2.. they are wasting their time, as they are struggling with A2 content, what you need to realise is there's another jump from AS to A2 like there was from gcse to AS.

I resat the C1 paper on Wednesday due to it being a really easy paper and wanting to gain extra ums.

I felt the C1 paper was one of the hardest I'd seen, but nonetheless it will still be the easiest exam I sit this year. If the paper was just a hard paper, the ums will be proportional, so if youve done the work and you have the knowledge, you have nothing to worry about. You only have to worry if you didnt.
Reply 17
Original post by Inayah03
At the moment I am retaking 2 maths modules from last year plus this years A2 modules and lemme tell you one thing, it is STRESSFUL. I'd suggest you try to do well in C2 or D1 and wait for results. You never know.. you may have done better in C1 than you think you've done, think positive and don't lose hope. This should only motivate you to work hard to do well in the C2 and D1 exam :smile:

Thanks for this :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by raijinx2
Your AS maths is out of 300 ums. If you get a U in C1 you automatically lose 100 ums so you have to get an A to get a C or a D in AS maths. Just hope you get an E as your minimum grade in C1 and be sure to try and get 100 ums in D1 it shouldn't be too hard.

You can resit modules but if you find C1 hard then you might want to reconsider your options. I mean C3 and C4. Perhaps your being too paranoid and you came out with a C or something, this happens quite often.

Wow this is really helpful, THANK YOU :smile:

I am just very paranoid and stressed about C2 because C1 was supposed to be the easier paper, yet I couldn't do it at all... I'll try my best, and I hope my c1 was okay.
Reply 19
Original post by thad33
I disagree with everyone saying you shouldn't carry it on. I failed AS maths due to being a **** student. I redone it and actually tried, ended up with an A so it's just about how much effort you put in.

I was lulled into false security due to the easiness of the past papers. 2016 paper was alien to me and I literally panicked and didn't read the questions properly. Well done for the A, did you carry onto A2 in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest