The Student Room Group

OCR AS-Level Religious Studies: Religious Ethics - Friday 27th May 2016 (Morning)

Who is taking this paper? I'm taking it again to boost my UMS so I can get an A* at A-Level.

Suggestions as to what I think will come up:

Natural Moral Law

Absolutism and Relativism

Medical Ethics (Abortion/Embryo Research/Genetic Engineering)

War and Peace

How are you all feeling?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What came up last year. Hoping Ethics will bump up my Philosophy grade after that exam I expect failure :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by sianne4c
What came up last year. Hoping Ethics will bump up my Philosophy grade after that exam I expect failure :frown:

You will be fine. I promise. What came up?

Last years questions were about personhood, aristotle, kant and abs/rel, if I remember rightly.
Original post by sianne4c

Tbh same, i am really gonna have to excel in the ethics exam in order to bring i up again.
Reply 4
Original post by AdiamDaniel
Tbh same, i am really gonna have to excel in the ethics exam in order to bring i up again.

What came up?
Original post by ivybridge
What came up?

Anselm's ontological argument, irenaeus theodicy, irreducible complexity (religion and science) and the moral argument came up too.
Reply 6
Who is taking this paper? I'm taking it again to boost my UMS so I can get an A* at A-Level.

Suggestions as to what I think will come up:

Natural Moral Law

Absolutism and Relativism

Medical Ethics (Abortion/Embryo Research/Genetic Engineering)

War and Peace

How are you all feeling?

How would you apply the theory to applied ethics ?
Reply 7
Original post by cdog123
How would you apply the theory to applied ethics ?

It's kind of hard to explain... you really should know this by now.

God your the helpful one:colonhash:
Reply 9

Hmmm yes i know i should but i don't as we have not been taught it all year.
:s-smilie:
Reply 10
Original post by olivia.pope
God your the helpful one:colonhash:

With all due respect, it's not my job to tutor you. That's your teacher's job. This is a thread to discuss things. Asking that sort of question at this stage is troubling - it's unlikely the user is to do well if they haven't been practising that for at least a year now. I simply said I don't really know how to explain it because I don't - I just do it. I will try but please don't attempt to be rude about me - it isn't up to me to teach you something you should have already been taught.

Original post by cdog123
Hmmm yes i know i should but i don't as we have not been taught it all year.
:s-smilie:

I respect that but leaving it until the week of the exam to try and figure it out is lousy of you - you've lost an entire year of practice. I can try and explain it; please select an exam question you'd like me to use in order to explain this.
Reply 11
With all due respect, it's not my job to tutor you. That's your teacher's job. This is a thread to discuss things. Asking that sort of question at this stage is troubling - it's unlikely the user is to do well if they haven't been practising that for at least a year now. I simply said I don't really know how to explain it because I don't - I just do it. I will try but please don't attempt to be rude about me - it isn't up to me to teach you something you should have already been taught.

I respect that but leaving it until the week of the exam to try and figure it out is lousy of you - you've lost an entire year of practice. I can try and explain it; please select an exam question you'd like me to use in order to explain this.

Say Natural law and genetic engineering
Reply 12
Original post by cdog123
Say Natural law and genetic engineering

Okay, as a part (a) or a part (b)?
Reply 13
Okay, as a part (a) or a part (b)?

A would be most appreciated
Reply 14
Original post by cdog123
A would be most appreciated

Okay, how do you want me to do this? Write one or simply explain how you'd do it, or a blend of the two?
Reply 15
Explain how a follower of Natural Moral Law might respond to the issues surrounding Genetic Engineering.

Write one sentence foregrounding a minimum of three issues surrounding genetic engineering that are easy to link with Natural Moral Law.

Start by explaining Natural Moral Law, possibly in a paragraph only, and do not evaluate. You lose marks for evaluating the issues/theories/application topic in section (a) questions.

Address each individual issue and comment on how followers of Natural Moral Law would approach such an issue.

Do not give a conclusion.

If you want me to write bits, please ask. I am more than happy to write full explanations of each theory and list all of the key issues surrounding each application topic should you feel that is to be helpful.
Reply 16
Okay, how do you want me to do this? Write one or simply explain how you'd do it, or a blend of the two?

I know each topic individually just how to structure it together
Reply 17
Original post by cdog123
I know each topic individually just how to structure it together

Structure is relative to the question asked.
Reply 18
Structure is relative to the question asked.

Thank you very much you have been of most help, i shall let you know come results day how i did.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Explain how a follower of Natural Moral Law might respond to the issues surrounding Genetic Engineering.

Write one sentence foregrounding a minimum of three issues surrounding genetic engineering that are easy to link with Natural Moral Law.

Start by explaining Natural Moral Law, possibly in a paragraph only, and do not evaluate. You lose marks for evaluating the issues/theories/application topic in section (a) questions.

Address each individual issue and comment on how followers of Natural Moral Law would approach such an issue.

Do not give a conclusion.

If you want me to write bits, please ask. I am more than happy to write full explanations of each theory and list all of the key issues surrounding each application topic should you feel that is to be helpful.

could you please write bits and full explanations of each theory and list all of the key issues surrounding each application

Quick Reply

Latest