The Student Room Group

Edexcel Chemistry IGCSE 1C Unofficial Mark Scheme 19th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Is the answer to 6c not 10 degrees Celcius
I remember the question was 'what is the maximum rise in temperature' and the temperature started off at 23 degrees and ended at 33, 33-23= 10
Correct me if im wrong
For 7a, I forgot to mention white. Although I wrote anhydrous copper two sulphate crystals turn blue... would this gain full marks?

Also, for the first question, I slightly mixed around my answers and talked about them integrated. If you put it in the wrong box, but stated in other, would this get the marks?
Original post by hazy500
Is the answer to 6c not 10 degrees Celcius
I remember the question was 'what is the maximum rise in temperature' and the temperature started off at 23 degrees and ended at 33, 33-23= 10
Correct me if im wrong

I can't exactly remember.
Original post by conradliebers
Eventually disappears, moves, floats on surface.

Fizzing and Aq solution formed?
I can't exactly remember.

Yup he's right, it was 10.
Reply 45
For 4e) increasing the volume to 50cm3 pretty much everyone I asked , and me, put that the temperature would decrease as it was already in excess so increasing volume would cause the same amount of energy to be released but it would have to spread out across a greater volume so the overall temperature would decrease.
Tell me the questions which I'm missing out - I'll add them in. Please try your best to remember the rough question number.

1.a)
Condensation. (1)

1.b)
Energy: average ke of particles decreases.
Arrangement: the intermolecular spaces decrease (as some intermolecular
forces between particles start to form).
Movement: particles in liquids slide over each other. (3)

2.a)
Filtration. (1)

2.b)
Arrow drawn into solvent inside beaker.
Arrow drawn onto chromatography paper.
Arrow drawn onto the line on the chromatography paper. (3)

2.c)
There are for 4 dyes present in the substance as the original substance
dissolved into the solvent and 4 dyes were drawn up. (1)

3.a)
Hydrogen molecule bonding - two circles that cross over each other and at the
point of intersection there is a cross and a dot. The circles both have letters H
inside of them. (1)

3.b)
Element in the air - argon. (1)

3.c)
Compound present in unpolluted air - H2O (water) or CO2 (carbon dioxide). (1)

3.d)
Isotopes are atoms with specific number of neutrons independent to the number of protons that defines the element. (2)

3.e)
H1 - 1 proton, 0 neutrons, 1 electron.
H2 - 1 proton, 1 neutron, 1 electron.
H3 - 1 proton, 2 neutrons, 1 electron. (3)

3.f)
Atom with 3 protons - the diagram with 3 dots.
Atom in period 3 - the diagram with 15 dots (phosphorous)
Atom with 15 electrons - diagram with 15 dots (phosphorous)

4.a)
Simple filling in the temperatures - to 1 dp. (4)

4.b)
Max temperature produced by magnesium. (1)

4.c)
Ice used to cool down and condense the water vapour. (1)

4.d)
Products formed - magnesium chloride and hydrogen (gas). (2)

4.e)
Increasing volume of acid to 50cm3 - not so great a rise in temperature as increase in volume of acid means that more energy is required for the same rise in temperature. (2)
4.a)
Copper pile turns black because the oxygen in the air reacts with it in a combustion reaction to form Copper oxide (black solid). (2)

4.b)
The gas is cooled down before it is measured so that its volume can be recorded at rtp (as the original volume had been measured in these conditions). Heated gases = expansion of volume. (1)

4.c)
Why didn't the small heap of copper turn black - because all of the oxygen in the air had been used up in the previous reaction hence no combustion reaction to oxidise copper. (1)

4.d)
Percentage of oxygen - 16.6 (recurring) or 16.7%. (2)

5.a)
In order of reactivity - Q, R, S, P. (4)

6.a)
Graph - draw straight lines of best fit, both lines must intersect. (4)

6.b)
Volume used - 12.5 cm3. (1)

6.c)
33 degrees celcius. (1)

7.a)
Test for presence of water - add to anhydrous copper (II) sulphate, turns white to blue.
OR add to anhydrous cobalt (II) chloride paper, turns blue to pink. (2)

7.b)
Test for purity - physical boiling point test - boils at 100 degrees celsius. (1)

11.a)
Propane. (1)

11.b)
C4H10. (1)

11.c)
W, X, Y. (1)

11.d)
Empirical formula for Y - CH2. (1)

11.d)
A hydrocarbon with a double carbon = carbon covalent bond.
A hydrocarbon is a organic compound made of hydrogen and carbon only. (3)

11.e)
Displayed formula should have only 1 Br atom in it. (1)

11.f)
Condition required - UV light. (1)

16.a)
Draw graph line - steeper and levels off first but at same level. (2)

16.c)
Increase in concentration = increase in particles per unit volume, hence increase in no. of collisions per unit time hence increase in no. of successful collisions per unit time, hence increase in rate of reaction. (3)

It was question 14 (total 4 marks) ,the table where you filled in moles (2 marks) and decided which experiment 1, 2 or 3 was the correct decomposition of potassium hydrogen carbonate (2 marks)
Reply 47
For question 4d) can we put 17% rather than 16.7
There. Was also the test for water
Original post by Pedaly7
For question 4d) can we put 17% rather than 16.7

I don't think so, because the table values were to one dp so either .6 recurring or .7
Original post by Swxg
For 4e) increasing the volume to 50cm3 pretty much everyone I asked , and me, put that the temperature would decrease as it was already in excess so increasing volume would cause the same amount of energy to be released but it would have to spread out across a greater volume so the overall temperature would decrease.

Yeah I already added that.
You've also forgotten the question about testing for chloride ions
Reply 52
Wasn't the table thing for temperature to the nearest 0.5 degrees so it's not to 1.dp. It was like 47,25,36,43.5,27.5
Physical test for pure water - will boil at exactly 100°c and freeze at exactly 0°c

Posted from TSR Mobile
For q14 b) wouldn't 0.08 moles on the reactants side and the reactants being 2x, make the reactants be 4 times as much as the product?
I may be completely wrong, but in the exam I started to write equation 3 but then realised that 2x 0.08 would make 0.16 and the product would still be 0.4.
Can anyone clarify, because I'm not really sure?
Reply 55
You have also forgotten all the enthalpy change questions
Reply 56
Original post by Gdmn
Wasn't the table thing for temperature to the nearest 0.5 degrees so it's not to 1.dp. It was like 47,25,36,43.5,27.5

Omg I THOUGHT WHEN THEY SAID NEAREST 0.5 DEGREES THEY MEANT LIKE ROUND IT UP. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Original post by Gdmn

Yeah sorry thats what I mean't.
Original post by Emilyros
Why ice was used?
Describing a covalent bond?
The maximum temperature produced?
Why experiment 1 was faster than experiment 2?

Thanks for doing this btw - really helpful :smile:
Anyone got any ideas about the grade boundaries?

Hi dude,

Ice was used to cool the test tube so the water would condense
Covalent bond is a mutual force of attraction between a shared pair of ELECTRONS and their NUCLEI
1 was faster than 2 because of concentration of acid
Max temp was like 25 degrees I can't remember, wherever the lines crossed
Original post by Chloe010300
Fizzing and Aq solution formed?

Aq solution formed isn't an observation, the calcium (or whatever) got smaller

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending