The Student Room Group

I keep forgetting everything

I feel like there's no point in me even revising. One day, I'll be revising really well, feeling like I'm taking it all in, and then I look back at it in a few days, and I've forgotten everything. I'm so stressed about this! I actually feel like crying whenever I go through a past paper and realise I've forgotten it all :'(

Any tips?
Original post by Save.Me
I feel like there's no point in me even revising. One day, I'll be revising really well, feeling like I'm taking it all in, and then I look back at it in a few days, and I've forgotten everything. I'm so stressed about this! I actually feel like crying whenever I go through a past paper and realise I've forgotten it all :'(

Any tips?

Yes i have many tips

but seriously

step 1
Stop stressing out and shitting your pants. Realise that stressing gets you nowhere has no benefit and doesn't help you in any way whatsoever
step 2
Remember something, recall it the next day or next hour or something, then repeat the cycle but add on everything you've remembered so far and soon you'll have a huge list of stuff you can remember, don't forget to do this consistently otherwise you might forget it all again o.o
step 3
Test yourself with some past papers when you think you've got enough knowledge, then once you do a paper remember how to do those questions you got wrong and do another paper and see what you got wrong, repeat until you get very little wrong on a paper
step 4
**** yourself as much as you want after the exam, it's not gonna do anything now but at least you can release all that stress from before
Reply 2
Original post by thefatone
Yes i have many tips

but seriously

step 1
Stop stressing out and shitting your pants. Realise that stressing gets you nowhere has no benefit and doesn't help you in any way whatsoever
step 2
Remember something, recall it the next day or next hour or something, then repeat the cycle but add on everything you've remembered so far and soon you'll have a huge list of stuff you can remember, don't forget to do this consistently otherwise you might forget it all again o.o
step 3
Test yourself with some past papers when you think you've got enough knowledge, then once you do a paper remember how to do those questions you got wrong and do another paper and see what you got wrong, repeat until you get very little wrong on a paper
step 4
**** yourself as much as you want after the exam, it's not gonna do anything now but at least you can release all that stress from before

Haha thanks, I appreciate the bluntness!
Original post by Save.Me
Haha thanks, I appreciate the bluntness!

xD

i prefer to be straightforward and tell ppl what they want/need or what they want to hear
how do you remember that you have forgotten something? it shows you haven't forgotten anything.
Original post by Save.Me

Any tips?

Don't just try to memorize your notes - look to write summaries of them in your own words, and try to explain the concepts to friends and family. This will increase your understanding of the topic rather than just trying to remember everything.
Original post by Save.Me

Any tips?

Forgetting curve!

Reviewing what you've revised is key so that you can get stuff stored in your long-term memory. Cramming can work but only to a certain point, so this is why revising what you've already done is key.
Hi OP! Frequently review your revision like the graph in the reply above, to really help the revision stick!
And make sure you understand the concepts and ideas in topics to really help you remember!
(If you are stuck and confused on something, use a variety of resources to help you understand like useful websites, textbooks (cgp is bae!), useful YouTube videos (Mr Bruff good for English. And be careful! I totally didn't get distracted on YouTube for 3 hours learning about top 25 facts about Harry Potter :colondollar:), and also ask friends and teachers for help)

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/how-memorize-things-quicker-than-other-people.html

http://www.oxford-royale.co.uk/articles/memory-tricks-exam-success.html

These websites have useful memeory tricks and give ideas about different useful forms of revision. I personally like trying to explain topics to friends and family and using flash cards, as you can test your understanding and know where you need to work on :wink:

Don't worry OP! Let the stress motivate you! You can do it! And remember to take breaks and allow yourself to relax :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Save.Me

Any tips?

Lol I was once like this. You my friend aint studying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Save.Me

Any tips?

Why don't you try writing things down and repeat the things you read. It helps me. And I like visual aids so I would colour code my work to remember things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Save.Me

Any tips?

Dont worry! I forget everything and my mind always goes blank too. The thing that helps me is to underline the key info so it isnt just a massive question, just focus on the main points so you dont make the question any harder than it already is. Also just make a list in your head.
1. Read question
2. Underline key points
3. Re read question
4. Calm yourself!!!!
5. Try and think what the easiest method will be to work it out but dont think so hard about it that it confuses you and then you just forget everything and get stressed so you end up leaving it altogether! In other words dont over think it!!!

Hope this helped!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi guys, I've set up my revision timetable so I revise a subject a day,because I think that works for me, only problem is it means I have one week gaps of revising that subject, what should I do??? Is that okay??? Should I make two days of revising that subject before the exam?
Hi! I think every day you should do maybe bit of every subject or just a handful of subjects so you dont forget what you learned a weeek ago. Maybe do 30 mins to a hour or something like that of each topic and then repeat with all so you are reminding yourself and you wont forget. Alos what you do learn everyday then write post it notes and stick around your bedroom so you fully understand what you learned that day. Maybe stick 1 on the bathroom door iswell so you need to answer the question of whatever you wrote down before you enter and do the same on all your doors of your house! Obviously with the bathroom one if you need to do you need to go! Ha ha
Original post by Save.Me

Any tips?

Maybe if you are having trouble remembering it look at the notes even if its only very briefly every day instead of leaving days in between so you have more chance of remembering. I wrote the reactivity series on an a4 sheet and put it on my wall and I'd somehow memorised it without knowing I had because I'd just been staring at the all when I was bored.
Another thing is, recalling does not mean you know the information. What some people do is read through stuff and say yeah I remember this lesson, then move on thinking they know it, but when a question comes up on the topic they are stuck.

The idea is to actively do something with the information so you learn it. First read about it, then maybe process it into small summaries like people above said, then maybe write a few questions or go through the learning objectives and ask them as questions and see how much you actually remember from what you revised. Then repeat after an nou or after a day, a week, depending on your level.
Original post by niv1234
Maybe if you are having trouble remembering it look at the notes even if its only very briefly every day instead of leaving days in between so you have more chance of remembering. I wrote the reactivity series on an a4 sheet and put it on my wall and I'd somehow memorised it without knowing I had because I'd just been staring at the all when I was bored.

Good idea! I stick mine on everydoor in my house so now i need to to answer a question i had made up before hand before i enter the room. Therefore i am revising everything all day without reolising it as have now got into the patern of revising before entering a room!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by nerdling_CompSci
Lol I was once like this. You my friend aint studying

Posted from TSR Mobile

What should I do then? :O

Original post by Engineerrookie
Hi guys, I've set up my revision timetable so I revise a subject a day,because I think that works for me, only problem is it means I have one week gaps of revising that subject, what should I do??? Is that okay??? Should I make two days of revising that subject before the exam?

I do this too! I don't know how people can revise three subjects a day...It takes me so long to take in information for one subject and go over the notes and get everything prepared :frown:

Original post by Lorenzo!!!
Hi! I think every day you should do maybe bit of every subject or just a handful of subjects so you dont forget what you learned a weeek ago. Maybe do 30 mins to a hour or something like that of each topic and then repeat with all so you are reminding yourself and you wont forget. Alos what you do learn everyday then write post it notes and stick around your bedroom so you fully understand what you learned that day. Maybe stick 1 on the bathroom door iswell so you need to answer the question of whatever you wrote down before you enter and do the same on all your doors of your house! Obviously with the bathroom one if you need to do you need to go! Ha ha

I've never heard of the not going into the room unless you know the answer haha before, that's a really good idea.
Original post by Save.Me

I do this too! I don't know how people can revise three subjects a day...It takes me so long to take in information for one subject and go over the notes and get everything prepared :frown:

I've never heard of the not going into the room unless you know the answer haha before, that's a really good idea.

Ha ha!!! Just dont do the bathroom or things could get nasty! Lol i am not taking the blame ! 😂
Original post by Save.Me

Theres a thread here on TSR that has thousands of tips. Its the reason why I got AABBBB on my finals. I was a D student throughout my life up until I had passion for a particular university and they wanted A's only. So I went to google and searchedcfor study tips which led me here...

I tried different study techs what worked for me is active recall...

Read something, understand it and write it down (shorter).

I was horrible at summarizing notes because when I went back to the summary I would forget the half the things that I not summarized which is what made me understand notes before writting them now.

So there's the formular that got me AABBBB:

Read >> Understand >> write down

I can assure you that u would only need to come back to your notes once or twice before an exam depending on the difficulty of the chapter.

Start 4 months before your finals

And past papers! If u dont do past papers u will never know your progress and weakness

For math you will need
1. Videos
2. Study guide
3. Past papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending