The Student Room Group

2016 AQA GCSE Chemistry Unofficial mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Also, 2015 paper was harder than this; A* was 50/60. I reckon this year it will be 50-54 for an A*
ive counted that i got atleast 45 marks - is that enough for an A* do you think?
I think I wrote carbon monoxide instead of carbon particulates?? Is that ok? Still said incomplete combustion though so hopefully atleast 1 mark of 2 :smile:
On the balancing equations question, I put (stupidly) 2Fe2 (the second being a small 2) and didnt simplify it. With the answer being 4Fe, aren't both answers technically right. Does anyone know if this would get the mark?
Original post by ScienceFantatic
If anyone wants to help filling it out o can remember specific questions, post here

For the fractional distillation of water and ethanol i did it a weird way and put: heat the whole solution above 100 degrees so it vapourises and pass it through the column. Then since the water and ethanol have different boiling points and the chamber has a temperature gradient they condense at different points in te chamber.

Ik this is ALOT different to what it was meant to be but how many marks will i get?? Thanks!

Carbon particles produced( particulates)Insufficient oxygen or incomplete combustion(2)

Does soot count?

Reactivity question: the lower the metal on the reactivity series, the easier it is broken down(2)

Might want to add that as the elements become more reactive, the bond between atoms is stronger so they are harder to be displaced.

Advantages and disadvantages of crude oil vs plants: Crude oil is a continuous process so faster, crude oil is more widely available, crude oil more reliable and things are set up for crude oil fractions

Non renewable, co2( global warming), SO2

(4 marks)

Crude oil takes up less fertile land so there are more crops readily available?
Guys didn't u find the 2015 paper way easier ?!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Question 1
Electron shell: 2,3( 1 mark)
nucleus( 1 mark)
( +1), electrons( -1), neutron is uncharged( 3 marks)- not sure if it was in the nucleus or just the atom overall

Not in form 2,8,8, has 1,8Boron has 10 electrons, the structure had 9 electrons( 3 marks)

Question 2
Tick box: copper oxide(1)

20.3(2 marks)

Digital thermometer, more precise and not subject to human error
Beaker insulated(2)

Carbon particles produced( particulates)Insufficient oxygen or incomplete combustion(2)

Best fuel because it produces least smoke/ burns the most cleanly. Produces the most energy per g(2)

Question 3
Advantages of hydrogen;
Only product water
Renewable
Provides more energy
No co2 or s02 released

Disadvantages:
Hydrogen is explosive
Hard to store because it is a gas
From natural gas( methane which is a greenhouse gas)
Engines need to be converted( 6 marks)

Thermal decomposition(1)

Question on potassium carbonate: doesn't fully thermally decompose, co2 not released, Bunsen burner temperature is not high enough( 3 marks)

Reactivity question: the lower the metal on the reactivity series, the easier it is broken down(2)

Question 4:
Conditions for cracking: high temperatures and a hot catalyst(2)

Fermentation question: sugar is dissolved and yeast is added to make ethanol(2)

Ethanol question: ethene is reacted with steam at high temperatures and catalyst(2)

Advantages and disadvantages of crude oil vs plants: Crude oil is a continuous process so faster, crude oil is more widely available, crude oil more reliable and things are set up for crude oil fractions

Non renewable, co2( global warming), SO2

(4 marks)

Question 5
metal ores are ores which contain enough of the metal to be worthwhile extracting( 1 mark)

It is converted to steel because cast iron is brittle or to make it stronger
Steel has more uses
Corrosion resistant
( 2 marks)

2Fe2O3+ 3C = 4Fe+ 3CO2( 2 marks)

It is not sent to landfill because this takes up space and causes pollution
It is not reused as it might have lost its strength and become unstable. Saves energy being used. Conserves raw materials
3 marks)

Question on distillation: Heat mixture between 80-99 degrees, the ethanol evaporates, cools and condenses to form pure ethanol and then raise temperature to 100 when all ethanol has evaporated to do the same to water( 3 marks).

Question on carbon neutral: carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas
This takes up CO2 when it grows in photosynthesis
The same amount is released when biofuel or oils are burned
So no overall increase in CO2
Continuous Carbon Cycle(3)

Last question on hydrogenation; 60 degrees, nickel catalyst, double bonds converted into single bonds, increasing boiling point, done so that's it's a solid at room temperature for a thick, spreadable consistency (5)

Mark somewhere for completing drawing of the alkane(1)

Bromine goes colourless somewhere(1)

Took me a while to make so any rep would be much appreciated :smile:

is it by any means possible that the content in the chemistry exam will come up in the additional science exam ??
Original post by Dr Carlsberg
On the balancing equations question, I put (stupidly) 2Fe2 (the second being a small 2) and didnt simplify it. With the answer being 4Fe, aren't both answers technically right. Does anyone know if this would get the mark?

The 2Fe2 signifies a covalent bond (the lower 2 on the right of Fe) and covalent bonds are not comprised of metals (non-metals only). So it really should be 4Fe

No mark (is very likely). You MIGHT get 1 for the correct carbon atoms though.
Original post by redsoules
The 2Fe2 signifies a covalent bond (the lower 2 on the right of Fe) and covalent bonds are not comprised of metals (non-metals only). So it really should be 4Fe

No mark (is very likely). You MIGHT get 1 for the correct carbon atoms though.

I think there will be one mark available for recognising iron was produced and the second for correct balancing
Original post by xxariki
i don't think all of these are correct

which questions?
Original post by ty19999
Guys didn't u find the 2015 paper way easier ?!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I did and the 2015 A* was 50/60! So it can't be higher than say 52-53 this year
Original post by adam1112
Does soot count?

Might want to add that as the elements become more reactive, the bond between atoms is stronger so they are harder to be displaced.

Crude oil takes up less fertile land so there are more crops readily available?

I think soot should be fine :smile:
Reply 193
I have failed this! So bad! :frown::frown:
Does anyone know if I get a good grade on the biology paper and the physics paper (already passed the controlled assessment) do I have a good chance of getting a C overall?
Can i get a mark for mentioning smaller intervals for question 2 as the fuels had an interval at 2 carbon atoms?
Last years paper was much easier in my opinion. Most of the questions asked for 1 word answers

Is it possible to get an A* with 2 low A's on the Isa and Unit 1 (FOR BIOLOGY)? Please give a truthful answer:frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 196
Anyone have any ideas about what the grade boundaries will be?
Original post by dee08
Anyone have any ideas about what the grade boundaries will be?

I think they will be the sane as last year, maybe a tad higher? I would say an A=42 ish and A*=51
Original post by sunny181113
I think I wrote carbon monoxide instead of carbon particulates?? Is that ok? Still said incomplete combustion though so hopefully atleast 1 mark of 2 :smile:

i dont think youll get the marks for saying carbon monoxide insted of particulates as theyre different things - but hopefully youll get some for saying incomplete combustion:smile:
Original post by Dr Carlsberg

i put this too and im thinking if it was out of two marks we'd get atleast one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending