The Student Room Group

Edexcel Chemistry IGCSE 1C Unofficial Mark Scheme 19th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Puredbest
For q14 b) wouldn't 0.08 moles on the reactants side and the reactants being 2x, make the reactants be 4 times as much as the product?
I may be completely wrong, but in the exam I started to write equation 3 but then realised that 2x 0.08 would make 0.16 and the product would still be 0.4.
Can anyone clarify, because I'm not really sure?

it was the reactant that had 2 in front of it which means it was 2 x 0.04 = 0.08

Original post by gameofno
Omg I THOUGHT WHEN THEY SAID NEAREST 0.5 DEGREES THEY MEANT LIKE ROUND IT UP. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I DID THE EXACT SAME THING
but I realised when there was a few minutes left bc I was thinking about whether I put ".0" on the end and then I realised what rounding to 0.5 actually means :eek:
For 11. e) I think the question was fairly vague, something like, draw the formula of something that could be formed when bromine reacts with an alkane, so I think more than one bromine may be ok.
I'm no expert so I may be wrong, but I put 3 bromines, one on each carbon atom.
I know this molecule does exist, (tribromopropane) but I'm just hoping someone can clarify the answer for this one?
Thanks
Reply 62
What's the answer to the carbon soot question?
Original post by defenestrated
it was the reactant that had 2 in front of it which means it was 2 x 0.04 = 0.08

but I realised when there was a few minutes left bc I was thinking about whether I put ".0" on the end and then I realised what rounding to 0.5 actually means :eek:

I thought the reactant had 0.08 moles?
Reply 64

cant wait till i die. how many marks am i gonna lose on that
Original post by Chloe010300
For the equation for H2 +O2, the answer is water.
However, would H202 (hydrogen peroxide) be correct

Its 2H2 + O2-> 2H2O isn't it?
Reply 66
For 11. e) I think the question was fairly vague, something like, draw the formula of something that could be formed when bromine reacts with an alkane, so I think more than one bromine may be ok.
I'm no expert so I may be wrong, but I put 3 bromines, one on each carbon atom.
I know this molecule does exist, (tribromopropane) but I'm just hoping someone can clarify the answer for this one?
Thanks

yeah someone pls help because i put 2 bromines
Original post by amkay
What's the answer to the carbon soot question?

soot was formed because there was incomplete combustion (which produces carbon)

i don't know why that explained the energy difference but i said that energy went towards forming the soot instead of heating the water?
that is probably completely wrong

and another reason was because heat was lost to the surroundings, which always happens in calorimetry experiments :tongue:

^that was all question 10 i think?

I thought the reactant had 0.08 moles?

yeah it did, and in the equation it had 2 in front of it which means it had twice as many moles as the other thing

cant wait till i die. how many marks am i gonna lose on that

me neither i keep doing the dumbest things :frown:
probably just 1, maybe 2
Guys did anyone do the 1CR paper??? I am dying to discuss!
yeah someone pls help because i put 2 bromines

You were expected to draw the compound C3H7Br - so just with one bromine atom.
Reply 70
soot was formed because there was incomplete combustion (which produces carbon)

i don't know why that explained the energy difference but i said that energy went towards forming the soot instead of heating the water?
that is probably completely wrong

and another reason was because heat was lost to the surroundings, which always happens in calorimetry experiments :tongue:

^that was all question 10 i think?

yeah it did, and in the equation it had 2 in front of it which means it had twice as many moles as the other thing

me neither i keep doing the dumbest things :frown:
probably just 1, maybe 2

god damn tricked. we all walk out that exam happy as hell and then realise the hidden damn enigma morse code matrix crap edexcel put in this paper.
Anyone do the 1CR paper?? I am dying to discuss.
Original post by Igcse1student
Anyone do the 1CR paper?? I am dying to discuss.

Wait why did you do the 1CR paper?
god damn tricked. we all walk out that exam happy as hell and then realise the hidden damn enigma morse code matrix crap edexcel put in this paper.

they made me think carbon dioxide is an element wtf i trusted them
Reply 74
they made me think carbon dioxide is an element wtf i trusted them

IKR! i got so much wrong. like the thing in unpolluted air i just said oxygen hahahahahaha
Original post by george_c00per
Holy moly I've done so bad :h: At least I'll never have to do chemistry again :biggrin:

I'm sure you've done better than you think George!!! I've still got to do the paper 2 and I bet it'll be so hard...
Original post by conradliebers
Wait why did you do the 1CR paper?

I am in a different region.
Original post by grace_wh
I'm sure you've done better than you think George!!! I've still got to do the paper 2 and I bet it'll be so hard...

It'll be easier than that french paper we sat on tuesday though :wink:
Reply 78
anyone else get chromatography wrong? i said 3 dyes instead of 4. ggwp edexcel.
anyone else get chromatography wrong? i said 3 dyes instead of 4. ggwp edexcel.

yup same, never mind! Seem to remember that it was only 1 mark?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending