The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hisgeography69
In addition to 4 As at A level with Business , History , Geography and Politics.

Biology C
Business A*
English Language B
English Literature B
Maths C
Religious Studies A*
History A*
Geography A*
Spanish C/B

For Cambridge?! Sorry but I don't think so...my uncle works as a professor and they look for 6*s-7*s and a few As minimum :frown:
In addition to 4 As at A level with Business , History , Geography and Politics.

Biology C
Business A*
English Language B
English Literature B
Maths C
Religious Studies A*
History A*
Geography A*
Spanish C/B

From what i've heard, its very unlikely that you will get in without at least 7a* (there probably have been anomalies)

Biology C
Business A*
English Language B
English Literature B
Maths C
Religious Studies A*
History A*
Geography A*
Spanish C/B

NO, you need minimum 9A*s
Reply 4

Biology C
Business A*
English Language B
English Literature B
Maths C
Religious Studies A*
History A*
Geography A*
Spanish C/B

A girl i know got mainly A's and B's and like a few A*s or something got an interview but didnt get in (idk if it was down to the GCSE grades or something else - they obvs didnt say) so maybe if you get no C's and great Alevels you have a chance?
Out of curiosity, what would something like this get (embarrassing)

ALL are GCSE and NO A levels (yet)

A In GCSE Maths
A in GCSE English
A in GCSE biology
A in GCSE chem
A* in GCSE physics

Can this even get me into uni? (25 y/o btw...)

a side note - quite important:

Why don't colleges accept mature students for A-Levels? I mean... feel like i'm being pushed out of getting into a good uni because of this?
Sorry, I think Cambridge would want higher than a C in maths and sciences - they have so many applicants each year that you really have to be the best of the best to get in. There are many other great universities out there which would accept students with these grades though.
Original post by 1jonam16

Depends on what course you want to do. There's courses where people as low as 3 A*s have gotten in but if it's something science/maths related then yeah, lots of A*s the way to go.
(edited 7 years ago)
What would you like to study, History or Geography I assume? There's no harm in applying in September but the GSCE grades will be a big factor.

I think your best bet is to aim for really high grades (ideally 2A*+) and assuming you get those grades and really want to get into Cambridge, reapply the following September
Original post by Metrododo
What would you like to study, History or Geography I assume? There's no harm in applying in September but the GSCE grades will be a big factor.

I think your best bet is to aim for really high grades (ideally 2A*+) and assuming you get those grades and really want to get into Cambridge, reapply the following September

Im doing those A Levels listed next year, currently doing my GCSEs. Some of those results are being realistic and not ambitious (Maths, English , spanish , biology)
The Uni course would probably involve Business or History.
Im doing those A Levels listed next year, currently doing my GCSEs. Some of those results are being realistic and not ambitious (Maths, English , spanish , biology)

DO u do GCSE AQA business btw? Would you mind helping me, if so. I can help you in biology, maths or English, as I'm predicted *s in them, but only an A in business.

If you want to do Business, you definitely can't apply to Cambridge - they don't do a Business degree. There are very good Universities you could go to, however, like UCL, Warwick, Bath, etc

As for if you chose to do History, you'd be much better off applying elsewhere IMO, but there is no harm in having it as one of your choices when applying to University (AS long as your other choices are realistic!)
Original post by redsoules
Out of curiosity, what would something like this get (embarrassing)

ALL are GCSE and NO A levels (yet)

A In GCSE Maths
A in GCSE English
A in GCSE biology
A in GCSE chem
A* in GCSE physics

Can this even get me into uni? (25 y/o btw...)

a side note - quite important:

Why don't colleges accept mature students for A-Levels? I mean... feel like i'm being pushed out of getting into a good uni because of this?

Can anyone answer me this?? I didn't want to make a whole new thread :/

Ah ok the way you wrote in the OP, it would seem that those were your actual grades, and currently doing AS.

Point still stands really, if you want to study History at Cambridge (no business as pointed out, only Econ, which won't be possible at all with C in Maths) aim for full A's at AS and A*A*+ overall for your A-levels. What seems much more feasible (and very good alternatives) would be aiming for one of the various business-related degrees at top unis, which would still give you top opportunities such as at UCL or Warwick
Reply 14

No you don't - there are no SET GCSE requirements - Cambridge say their average student has 5-7 A*s...

Biology C
Business A*
English Language B
English Literature B
Maths C
Religious Studies A*
History A*
Geography A*
Spanish C/B

i'm looking to go to Cambridge too! it depends on what degree you want to study - how comptetitive it is and the A levels required for entry. if it's not so competitive then the requirements could only be AAB (though quite unlikely for Cambridge). therefore, with 4 As you would be a good competitor. GCSEs are only a factor in a situation like it being down to you and another person for a spot who got the same A level results as you. they compare your GCSEs and whoever got the better grades gets the spot. personally, i think you need more As and A*s but if you do amazingly in your A levels (all A*s or something) then i highly doubt they would even glance at your GCSEs
Okay guys question though.

Let's say I wanna study physics and I get A*s in Maths and Science and pretty good grades in all of the other subjects EXCEPT I get a C in Art. Will this C in art affect my chances of getting in even though art is completely irrelevant to physics?

Thanks!
Original post by alexalexalex.
Okay guys question though.

Let's say I wanna study physics and I get A*s in Maths and Science and pretty good grades in all of the other subjects EXCEPT I get a C in Art. Will this C in art affect my chances of getting in even though art is completely irrelevant to physics?

Thanks!

Noooooooooo
apply cos you never know
ive heard that some people have got in with grades a little lower
meanwhile apply to other russel groups cos im sure they will take you
Reply 19
Original post by sunny181113
For Cambridge?! Sorry but I don't think so...my uncle works as a professor and they look for 6*s-7*s and a few As minimum

@hisgeography69

NO, you don't. There's no minimum number of GCSE A*s for Cambridge.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts

GCSEs
With the exception of those for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (grade C or above in GCSE Double Award Science and Mathematics), there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge. Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE. However, there are always exceptions and one of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually. Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the school/college performance and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest