The Student Room Group

Edexcel Chemistry IGCSE 1C Unofficial Mark Scheme 19th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

I'm feeling much more confident after reading this!
Original post by gameofno
IKR! i got so much wrong. like the thing in unpolluted air i just said oxygen hahahahahaha

omg i put that and then i realised it said compound
if only i'd realised that for the others :frown:

paper 2 is probably going to be a lot harder than this one :afraid:
IKR! i got so much wrong. like the thing in unpolluted air i just said oxygen hahahahahaha

Haha, yeah I did the same. At least it's only 1 mark
For the calorimetry experiment when is asked why is the actual value higher than the experiment value, is "Heat is lost by conduction through the beaker" right?
Reply 84
Original post by grace_wh
yup same, never mind! Seem to remember that it was only 1 mark?

yeah but i also lost the mark for labelling where the dye was initially on the diagram :frown:
Reply 85
Original post by Puredbest
Haha, yeah I did the same. At least it's only 1 mark

i wonder how many '1 marks' ive lost lol
Original post by defenestrated

yeah it did, and in the equation it had 2 in front of it which means it had twice as many moles as the other thing

Aww crap! Thanks for clearing it up anyway!
Reply 87
Original post by defenestrated
omg i put that and then i realised it said compound
if only i'd realised that for the others :frown:

paper 2 is probably going to be a lot harder than this one :afraid:

what so what was the answer to that question?
Good luck for paper 2! i only do double award so i only have 1 paper for each science. now i never have to think of chemistry again. lol
UGHHH i put 2 bromines :frown: i think i got the empircal formula for Y wrong too

same!
Hey dude, Bromine is a diatomic molecule so it's usually Br-Br, in this question we were just asked for the substitution reaction, so you can't start with two bromines and end up with 3. We were told not was similar to methane where only one H is substituted, hence why only one Br is present in the chain, the other bit being Br-H
Reply 90
You didn't do the cotton wool question
Reply 91
Original post by fuzi8n137
Hey dude, Bromine is a diatomic molecule so it's usually Br-Br, in this question we were just asked for the substitution reaction, so you can't start with two bromines and end up with 3. We were told not was similar to methane where only one H is substituted, hence why only one Br is present in the chain, the other bit being Br-H

cool just shoot me
Also the reaction between iodine and chlorine is like this:

I2 + Cl2 -> 2ICl
Good luck for paper 2! i only do double award so i only have 1 paper for each science. now i never have to think of chemistry again. lol

either carbon dioxide or water i think

omg that means you escaped crude oil and electrolysis and everything else that didn't come up in this one
so
lucky
:frown:

Think it was CO2 or H2O :-)
Original post by Gdmn
You didn't do the cotton wool question

Cotton wool was to prevent the solution from fizzing/spraying out of the conical flask so that the mass of that solution was not lost.
Original post by HKHASSAN
Its 2H2 + O2-> 2H2O isn't it?

Yes it is, just that I was wondering why hydrogen peroxide would not work (because decomposition of hydrogen peroxide is oxygen and hydrogen).
For the reaction with propane and bromine, do you think I'll get a mark for putting down two bromines on the formula on two different carbon atoms, I know for a fact that this exists - 1,2 dibromopropane. But it said similar to the methane one so I'm not sure?
I wrote butane instead of C4H10 :/ and I lost a few other marks here and there. Otherwise, i think the exam went very well and I'm feeling positive about chemistry :biggrin:
Original post by jamesj477
For the reaction with propane and bromine, do you think I'll get a mark for putting down two bromines on the formula on two different carbon atoms, I know for a fact that this exists - 1,2 dibromopropane. But it said similar to the methane one so I'm not sure?

No, because in this halogenation reaction you learn that C3H7Br and HBr is formed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending