The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MFP3 Further Pure 3 – 18th May 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Imo it was more of every question not being a standard one that we've seen come up many times in past papers. (except q1).

It meant you had to think on the spot for the method and it just felt like you were running out of time. Panic/rushed leads to errors and not being able to think properly. If i had to guess the boundary for an A*, its prob going to be the same as 2014 tbh. Everyone found it hard but most people here seem to have managed around 60 or more. (judging by the guesses of amount dropped).

Personally I think I got 67 looking at the unofficial ms, i did y instead of x (rsintheta)=... for the show that on Q8. Didn't fully expand the (1-x^2)^-1 so i got Q wrong in Q2. And embarrassingly I messed up Q1a lmfao. I did the method right, but ended up doing -2a=10 instead of - 5a...

Hopefully writing it all down let's me move on now and focus on upcoming exams. All I can do now is hope that I get an A* with my 67 (need 92 UMS).

Inb4 no follow through on 1b and i scrape an A.. :no:
Original post by Barbecuetime123
Let p= 1/a

Lim(Ln(p)/p) as p approaches infinity

So a approaches 0

Replacing p with 1/a and using log laws you get one of the quoted limits in the spec

That's what I thought, but a couple of people from my class thought it was 1/32.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alexcavanagh
That's what I thought, but a couple of people from my class thought it was 1/32.

Pretty sure it's 0, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten 1/36 for the second part after using it?
Original post by Barbecuetime123
Pretty sure it's 0, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten 1/36 for the second part after using it?

Yeah don't worry I thought they meant for part a, which I got 0 for. I think I seem to remember a 1/36 from the integration as well so hopefully some marks there! Still don't know where 1/32 came from though...
Original post by alexcavanagh
Yeah don't worry I thought they meant for part a, which I got 0 for. I think I seem to remember a 1/36 from the integration as well so hopefully some marks there! Still don't know where 1/32 came from though...

I don't think there's much excuse for getting the wrong answer in either case since both can be found instantly via calculator...
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I don't think there's much excuse for getting the wrong answer in either case since both can be found instantly via calculator...

Good point, never thought of that. At least I managed to get the right answer I hope
Original post by jjsnyder
I couldn't post on here for like hours after the exam, TSR was being really annoying!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Init forcing you to log in

Fork off tsr ya goons

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XxswagmasterxX
To all the people saying that the exam was sofa king hard, will you just calm down? It was hard but the questions werent breakthrough unique if u know what i mean. Seing how many people failed we can safely expect the boundaries to be at least as low as 2014. Just all be happy that fp2 is not tommorow and actually take that time to properly revise and not go parting or drinking. If you are one of the 'more able students' you know what to do, if not do all the past papers for each module and once you start scoring high marks you are fine. If you do your best yet still fail I see no reason to complain - not everyone is equal and you should be proud of what you achieved if you worked hard

I'm very proud of getting between 93-100% on the past papers and hopefully 70%ish when it actually matters. Pfft, who needs an A* anyway... or an A...B...C
Original post by C0balt
Yeah same here
Idk what they could throw at us with that module!

I'm also doing FP4!
Do you know any other questions or boards I could use, maybe to prepare me a bit more, cause if it's like the fp3 one, I won't be able to do it :/
Original post by Roxanne18
I'm also doing FP4!
Do you know any other questions or boards I could use, maybe to prepare me a bit more, cause if it's like the fp3 one, I won't be able to do it :/

I'm looking for good resources too. I know that some vector questions are in FP3 of other two boards but I doubt if they are any more difficult at all
Original post by C0balt
I'm looking for good resources too. I know that some vector questions are in FP3 of other two boards but I doubt if they are any more difficult at all

I'm finding it difficult to find anything, maybe is because not a lot of people do FP4, but I'll let you know if I find anything (:
Reply 551
Original post by Number Nine
Init forcing you to log in

Fork off tsr ya goons

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep :P It kept rejecting my login and saying this page cannot be accessed and stuff!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wait was the curve and triangle question the last question?
Original post by J-To-The-Era-Wig
Wait was the curve and triangle question the last question?

Yup
Reply 554
I agree with all those answers.
Original post by C0balt
Yup

How was your exam ?
Original post by Duke Glacia
How was your exam ?

I thought it was okay, until I found out that I made a million silly mistakes which could cost me up to 10 marks
Original post by C0balt
I thought it was okay, until I found out that I made a million silly mistakes which could cost me up to 10 marks

Well done ! otsukare.
Original post by Duke Glacia
Well done ! otsukare.

I wouldn't call this well done but thanks anyway lol
Original post by jjsnyder
Yep :P It kept rejecting my login and saying this page cannot be accessed and stuff!

Posted from TSR Mobile

c1 skrebs moaning innit

Quick Reply