The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Omarakis
Should 6c be 499? Because it tells you a1 is 4.
So it should be 4 + 99x5 = 499

No
Reply 201
Original post by Arsey
Here are my solutions.

I thought it was a reasonable paper, expect standard boundaries.

Some of the fractions were a little odd. I think 8a will cause a lot of problems.

I would guess at 62-63 for an A and 55-56 for a B.

what are the feels for 100 UMS then, please say 73+
For Q9b if I wrote n=8 and and answer of £165 would I get full marks as I noticed on some mark schemes they do have options between the nth value! And for 10C i got 326/6.. Do i loose a mark for not simplifying it?
Original post by Arsey
I don't have the time to answer how many marks will I lose questions this year.

I find it quite sad for several reasons the The Independent are running with a story, based on a few tweets, that the paper was too hard without a calc.

A level students being expected to do sums without a calc, disgrace...

Think it's more the fact that we're busy multiplying out fractions rather than actually applying the skills we've acquired for this module, I know I personally just felt pissed that I didn't get to demonstrate my knowledge and had to keep rechecking answers in case those nasty fractions were wrong.

Posted a complaint to edexcel :smile: Thet need to know it wasnt a smart paper, just long and actually avoided testing skill
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi Arsey, at worst I got 73/75 and at best full - if I take the worst, would that still be >95 UMS?? @zacken @arsey anyone who may know please help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iMacJack
Hi Arsey, at worst I got 73/75 and at best full - if I take the worst, would that still be >95 UMS?? @zacken @arsey anyone who may know please help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes
For the question about the area of the quadrilateral, could you still find the correct area if you split it into two triangles? So triangle POR + PQR = Area? If not, how many marks would you lose, cause surely there would be a few method marks available?
Reply 207
Would 74/75 be 100 UMS considering this was a slightly harder paper?
Original post by Selvino
Would 74/75 be 100 UMS considering this was a slightly harder paper?

Unfortunately,I don't think so since C1 generally has alot of high marks. 74 will be 99/98!

Posted from TSR Mobile
for 3b I wrote 6root3/2 (which is identical to 3root6) would I lose any marks on that?
Ahh ****, 69/75... cocked up 6c and 10c, but everything else was correct.
Do I have a hope in hell of this being >90UMS/achieving a 95+ overall?
I got 11C wrong but as you had to use this coordinate in 11D, will I still get full marks for error carried forward as I used the correct method and gradient
Reply 212
In q6c why didnt you just multiply 5 by 100 at the start as the sum is the same as given in the question
Reply 214
Original post by alphadelta
Ahh ****, 69/75... cocked up 6c and 10c, but everything else was correct.
Do I have a hope in hell of this being >90UMS/achieving a 95+ overall?

same boat as you mate
LOL for question 10 the area of quad, i calculated the area of the big triangle and take away the small triangle. I think it is a better way of doing it. but i messed it up so badlyyyy. I forgot to divide the area by 2 for the big triangle lol and i get 1783/15 XDDDD
Original post by ysominnion
Think it's more the fact that we're busy multiplying out fractions rather than actually applying the skills we've acquired for this module, I know I personally just felt pissed that I didn't get to demonstrate my knowledge and had to keep rechecking answers in case those nasty fractions were wrong.

Posted a complaint to edexcel :smile: Thet need to know it wasnt a smart paper, just long and actually avoided testing skill

Please explain which skill(s) required for C1 were not tested.

I have seen the following:
Integration, Differentiation, Surds, Indices, factorising a quad, use of discriminant, solve quadratic inequality, sketch, transform, rearrange algebraic fraction, use of arithmetic progression formulae, find equation of line, distance between 2 points, substitution, simultaneous equation, expand & simplify, use of perpendicular gradient, area of triangle/trapezium, sigma notation, term to term rule/expression,solve quadratic.
Original post by begbie68
Please explain which skill(s) required for C1 were not tested.

I have seen the following:
Integration, Differentiation, Surds, Indices, factorising a quad, use of discriminant, solve quadratic inequality, sketch, transform, rearrange algebraic fraction, use of arithmetic progression formulae, find equation of line, distance between 2 points, substitution, simultaneous equation, expand & simplify, use of perpendicular gradient, area of triangle/trapezium, sigma notation, term to term rule/expression,solve quadratic.

Dude, I think everyone can agree, the questions themselves weren't the issue. Some may have been more difficult than past papers, or C1 skills being implemented in new ways e.g. the discrimination question (although I've actually seen that question in a past paper, surprised a lot of people were shocked by it). But for the most part the concepts and questions themselves weren't unfair.

The issue is that, on top of using the C1 skills were being tested on, we also have to second guess every single answer or value we get because none of them were whole ****ing numbers, which can really mess with your confidence in an exam when everything you do just looks wrong. It leaves you in a bad mental state.
Original post by ludd-sama
Dude, I think everyone can agree, the questions themselves weren't the issue. Some may have been more difficult than past papers, or C1 skills being implemented in new ways e.g. the discrimination question (although I've actually seen that question in a past paper, surprised a lot of people were shocked by it). But for the most part the concepts and questions themselves weren't unfair.

The issue is that, on top of using the C1 skills were being tested on, we also have to second guess every single answer or value we get because none of them were whole ****ing numbers, which can really mess with your confidence in an exam when everything you do just looks wrong. It leaves you in a bad mental state.

Couldnt have said it better myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by don't cry-craft
For the question about the area of the quadrilateral, could you still find the correct area if you split it into two triangles? So triangle POR + PQR = Area? If not, how many marks would you lose, cause surely there would be a few method marks available?

Glad to see I'm not the only one that did this

Latest

Trending

Trending