The Student Room Group

Anyone Betting On The Referendum?

Seen a few sites taking bets seems and easy win for remain. Anyone else seen this? www.citysharks.co.uk

front2.png
Was considering, but on the under 68.0% turnout.
Original post by joey11223

Would be very disappointed if turnout was that low. Would be disgusting, an insult to all that have died for our rights and those that chose not to vote but were perfectly able to should have the right taken away, have no say in anything to do with how the country is run and fined heavily with proceeds sent to veteran charities. Disgraceful people.
Reply 4
I fear it will be a low turnout but liking the massive on on Trump winning as he narrowed the distance between himself and Clinton yesterday.

Not sure what I think of this. As on one hand it shows just how much the EU interferes but on the other hand why should the USA have a monopoly taking UK/EU money out of our economies?
Netflix and Amazon Prime might be forced to have 20% European content by the EUNetflix says 'rigid numerical quotas risk suffocating the market'
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/netflix-and-amazon-prime-might-be-forced-to-have-20-european-content-by-the-eu-a7037491.html
Reply 5
Original post by Sebastian Bartlett
Would be very disappointed if turnout was that low. Would be disgusting, an insult to all that have died for our rights and those that chose not to vote but were perfectly able to should have the right taken away, have no say in anything to do with how the country is run and fined heavily with proceeds sent to veteran charities. Disgraceful people.

However frustrating you can't make people vote for a system they simply don't believe in. I'm dismayed by immigration and fear British values may be under attack in future years, but at the same time struggle to trust a UK government at this moment in time as a lot of our policies are regressive and harmful to the working classes.

The conservatives have backtracked on so many important issues which would of harmed so many people that I fear austerity has made for a savage government. But with Labour offering nothing more than let's spend and get rid of Trident I'll still be voting Conservative.

I just think the public are dismayed at both the EU and the UK. Voters are being asked to vote for something most people simply don't understand, as nobody can predict the future just guess and hope.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Sebastian Bartlett

But people who aren't informed about politics should quite rightly abstain from voting. Every idiot who votes is cancelling out another vote from one who is informed.
Original post by Jebedee
But people who aren't informed about politics should quite rightly abstain from voting. Every idiot who votes is cancelling out another vote from one who is informed.

I side more towards this. Even personally I was considering not voting simply because I honestly don't think I'm well informed enough, any sort of argument by either camp is horribly bias, I mean throwing words like Hitler would like X and ISIS would like Y etc. Then the economic implications have those for in and those for out presenting very different scenarios, you'd have to both understand and read through tens of thousands...probably more like millions, of pages of economic data and documents to get an actual informed decision.
Reply 8
The bookies clearly think below a 68% turnout and I have no doubt there right so will be getting on it: http://www.citysharks.co.uk/2016/05/16/brexit-voting-turnout/
Reply 9
Original post by joey11223

I like the odds so think it's the safest bet: http://www.citysharks.co.uk/2016/05/16/brexit-voting-turnout/
Reply 10
Turnout's always a tricky one. Even the Scottish referendum, which pretty much pushed the limits of turnout, only reached 85%. There's a significant proportion of the population who are barmy, incapacitated, simple or really just don't give a ****.

I don't think the EU referendum will get about 75% even on the best of days. It's simply failed to engage people that much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending