The Student Room Group

Geography OCR AS 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NapkinofDestiny
I'm a year 13 and sat it for the first time (Long story short I messed up my AS Levels)
I found it ok, some of the questions were worded oddly though :/

I did Section A : Rivers (9 Marker Was Hard imo just because it's a specific multi use question)
Cold (Gift of a 9 mark question)

Section B : Arid ( What a horrible 25 mark question, never seen one like this in my life) I waffled on about:

- Arches NP (Tourism)
- Valley of the kings (Tourism)
- China (Desertification and arable agriculture)

Not a nice paper at all, boundaries will be around (53 = A , 32 = E)

Yeah, the arid essay was nasty. Didn't give you much to talk about really; I just ended up waffling about the Draa Valley and China Desertification mostly.
I got lucky and talked about animals but it wasn't easy to do it
Flora plants
Fauna animals

Got lucky did anyone find the cold 25 hard to do or was it just me
Reply 42
Did anyone do the River Essay because I have no idea if it's right what I put ah?
Rather reasonable in my opinion bit harder than previously due to more application of knowledge but all within syllabus. Sure, essay q for arid was odd but plenty to talk about with indigenous populations and low precipitation, poor soils, remote locations and hot temps initialising salinisation. For draa and SW USA.

Coasts was good - 9 marker bit iffy due to st Lucia having few facts so answer lacked a bit of detail but should be alright.

Cold - decent, fauna tricked a lot of my friends. But tbf it's in the spec..

Reckon mark schemes may be more lenient/lower grade boundaries.
Original post by MylesMor
Quite a few people in my school thought fauna referred to plants as well, or didn't really know and just guessed. Glad we're not the only ones.

People who take AS Biology at my school didn't even know that fauna referred to plants -however I just don't understand why they gave us the definition of 'aeolian' but not fauna.
Reply 45
Original post by Maaz_ali
I got lucky and talked about animals but it wasn't easy to do it
Flora plants
Fauna animals

Got lucky did anyone find the cold 25 hard to do or was it just me

Mate u can't do the short questions and the essay on colds. 😬
Reply 46
Original post by LillyCT99
Apparently my head of geography is complaining about the wording because fauna/flora is apparently not worded on the spec. Idk, it really disheartened me when I found out.

And oh'lord I felt so sorry for the year 13's re-sitting it with us.

Unfortunately it is in the spec. Just not obviously and fauna and flora are together. It's sneaky . The examiners are cnuts
That really sucks. The worst thing is is that if we all knew it was animals we could have produced a near full mark answer for it.
Viva la resits
Are there likely to be any similarities between the physical and human in like the style of the questions asked? Or does anyone have any predictions? I'm yr 13 but only retaking human
Can any one help with a 6 marker for Urban - Show how two economic factors influence land use patterns in urban areas?
Original post by SilverMusic
Can any one help with a 6 marker for Urban - Show how two economic factors influence land use patterns in urban areas?

Land use patterns are things like the patterns of the Burgess and Hoyt models but you don't need to reference them specifically. You can mention things like sink estates, edge cities etc
Economic factors- income of residents, transport routes and accessibility and size of area available

For example, you can talk about how lack of income leads to sink estates or how accessibility to suburban areas leads to suburban intensification and therefore edge cities.
Original post by Natalie_13
Land use patterns are things like the patterns of the Burgess and Hoyt models but you don't need to reference them specifically. You can mention things like sink estates, edge cities etc
Economic factors- income of residents, transport routes and accessibility and size of area available

For example, you can talk about how lack of income leads to sink estates or how accessibility to suburban areas leads to suburban intensification and therefore edge cities.

Would it be alright if you elaborated a bit more on the formation of edge cities? :smile: I haven't covered them and they seem useful!
What is suburban intensification, in particular?
Was last years tourism and energy 25 marker on sustainability??
yes it was choccy
with reference to one or more located examples, explain why ecotourism can be seen as a way of managing tourism sustainably - that was tourism 25 marker choccy123
Reply 55
Original post by Nathwes
Did anyone do the River Essay because I have no idea if it's right what I put ah?

I did the river essay too, I wrote about how location of the river basin and the development of the country has an impact on flood risks etc. What did you write?
Original post by cxxk
I did the river essay too, I wrote about how location of the river basin and the development of the country has an impact on flood risks etc. What did you write?

are you doing human as well??
Does anyone know of any social factors that may affect urban land use?

Also, any decent case studies showing the problem of waste management in urban areas? I have Curitiba for sustainable management but not a case study specifically for problems....
Original post by penguindrum
Does anyone know of any social factors that may affect urban land use?

Also, any decent case studies showing the problem of waste management in urban areas? I have Curitiba for sustainable management but not a case study specifically for problems....

I'm using Mumbai for the waste issues. Talking about slums, ineffective legislation and problems for people who live near the landfill sites. Hope that helps!
Reply 59
Original post by Wrenchy98
are you doing human as well??

Yeah I am, tomorrow :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending