The Student Room Group

HIS1H Tsarist Russia Retake

Has anyone got any predictions? How are you feeling? I feel like I know nothing and I'm going to fail!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Rodgersd09
You're not going to fail, just remember Wailway Twacks for industrialisation :wink:

My bet:
Q1) Unrest/opposition in early period
Q2) Something on Industrialisation or 1905
Q3) 100% going to be October Rev this year.

Good luck :smile:

Haha thanks I will! The first two sound good, I'd love a Duma question though, and I doubt I'll do the last one.
If you're also doing it, good luck to you!
Reply 2
How did you find it?
Which questions did you answer and include?
Im having mixed feelings at the minute 😣
Reply 3
Original post by Abbey15
How did you find it?

If im honest i loved it. I felt like it was basically a repeat of questions that ive already practiced before. I mean the first question about emancipation of the serfs that made me so happy. Then i answered the other questions about state investment in industry because i happened to revise that topic really well last night. Overall so pleased.
Original post by Abbey15
How did you find it?

Someone finally made a thread on this exam!

I should have looked for this yesterday, though I didn't need it. :tongue:

Paper was alright, I knew the content just the BLOODY TIME WAS SO LESS. So timing was a big issue for me.

I picked question 1 and 2 as I planned to. :h:

I was able to complete both 12 markers, about half of one 24 marker and two-thirds of another 24 marker. Lost a lot of marks.
Original post by undercxver
Someone finally made a thread on this exam!

I should have looked for this yesterday, though I didn't need it. :tongue:

Paper was alright, I knew the content just the BLOODY TIME WAS SO LESS. So timing was a big issue for me.

I picked question 1 and 2 as I planned to. :h:

I was able to complete both 12 markers, about half of one 24 marker and two-thirds of another 24 marker. Lost a lot of marks.

I ran out of time so badly as well! I left one of the 12 marks until the end and so only had 5 minutes to answer on it!
Reply 6
I was searching for a thread lastnight 😂 like to know how others have found exams 😊

I managed to finish the exam but my 12 marker on the bolsheviks forming wasnt as good as it could have been. I did 4 paragraphs but 2 of them wasnt adequate and probably incorrect!

Ah i was so happy about the collapse of the
PG question. Managed to get a nice argument for that one.

My mind kept going blank like it did last year thank god its over..
What grades did you get last year? Do you both think you did better yesterday? 😊
Reply 7
hey I did questions 1 and 2 as well!
for those of you who did the q2 12 marker on why the state invested in industry what kind of reasons did you mention?? i didnt really know what to write for it so i only said about russia wanting to catch up to the west and stuff about the trans siberian railway (??) i really dont think i did well on that question :frown:
i got a c last year in this exam but im really hoping my answers from q1 will boost my grade up
Reply 8
Original post by pui
for those of you who did the q2 12 marker on why the state invested in industry what kind of reasons did you mention?? i didnt really know what to write for it so i only said about russia wanting to catch up to the west and stuff about the trans siberian railway (??) i really dont think i did well on that question :frown:
i got a c last year in this exam but im really hoping my answers from q1 will boost my grade up

What did you include for the first questions?
Id of probably put the stuff you did and then spoke about how agriculture was Rusaias main source of income which was inefficient to say the least. Then maybe abit about wars and how they havent got the means to produce enough weaponary, quality or quantity wise.. i didnt like the look of the second set of questions so i avoided them like the plague haha.

I got a C last year aswell messed up a 24 mark question because we had a terrible teacher who didnt teach us about feb/march 1917, got an A in vietnam so just wanted to bring russia up a little..
Reply 9
Original post by Abbey15
What did you include for the first questions?
Id of probably put the stuff you did and then spoke about how agriculture was Rusaias main source of income which was inefficient to say the least. Then maybe abit about wars and how they havent got the means to produce enough weaponary, quality or quantity wise.. i didnt like the look of the second set of questions so i avoided them like the plague haha.

I got a C last year aswell messed up a 24 mark question because we had a terrible teacher who didnt teach us about feb/march 1917, got an A in vietnam so just wanted to bring russia up a little..

ahh yea those are really good points damn i wish id thought of those too :frown: i didnt really like the look of q2 either haha i only did it because i didnt have any idea what to write for q3
god i was so glad those first questions came up, emancipation was the only thing i was really confident on !! for the 12 marker i think i just said about pressure from the nobility/intelligensia, threat of a revolution (that quote about abolishing serfdom from above before it abolished itself from below) and defeat in the crimean war (serf armies)
24 marker i cant really remember what i wrote for this very well.. i talked about the military, educational, judicial reforms and emancipation and the good/bad aspects of those and said overall they had limited success in improving people lives
i think it was a really nice paper everyone ive spoken to seemed really pleased with it !! how well do you think you did ?? i think ive improved my grade from last year :crossedf::crossedf:
Reply 10
Original post by pui
ahh yea those are really good points damn i wish id thought of those too :frown: i didnt really like the look of q2 either haha i only did it because i didnt have any idea what to write for q3
god i was so glad those first questions came up, emancipation was the only thing i was really confident on !! for the 12 marker i think i just said about pressure from the nobility/intelligensia, threat of a revolution (that quote about abolishing serfdom from above before it abolished itself from below) and defeat in the crimean war (serf armies)
24 marker i cant really remember what i wrote for this very well.. i talked about the military, educational, judicial reforms and emancipation and the good/bad aspects of those and said overall they had limited success in improving people lives
i think it was a really nice paper everyone ive spoken to seemed really pleased with it !! how well do you think you did ?? i think ive improved my grade from last year :crossedf::crossedf:

It sounds like you got some really good points there im sure you will have done great! I wrote about the crimean war and need for soldiers, nobles beeing in debt and goverment bonds allowing them to pay off their debt and then invest in russian industry and then the revolution threat from below i couldnt remember the whole quote though so i backed it up with facts from serf uprisings in 1855.

I did similar to you on the 24 marker aswell. I did emancipation and military good and bad paragraphs then i did a good education one but realised i was running out of time so i linked educations bad paragraph in with him counter reforming due to the attempt on his life in 1866 then finished it off with him being assasinated saying they didnt go far enough then something about him being a progressionist. 😂 i tend to write alot of babble.

I loved the third 24 marker it was what i wanted so got a nice argument there but the 12 marker was strange never seen that before i got a good few paragraphs for it but i think only two of them will be credited i made the other two up 😂

Yeah i think i did better than last year i hope so anyway! What are you doing at A2? 😊
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Abbey15
It sounds like you got some really good points there im sure you will have done great! I wrote about the crimean war and need for soldiers, nobles beeing in debt and goverment bonds allowing them to pay off their debt and then invest in russian industry and then the revolution threat from below i couldnt remember the whole quote though so i backed it up with facts from serf uprisings in 1855.

I did similar to you on the 24 marker aswell. I did emancipation and military good and bad paragraphs then i did a good education one but realised i was running out of time so i linked educations bad paragraph in with him counter reforming due to the attempt on his life in 1866 then finished it off with him being assasinated saying they didnt go far enough then something about him being a progressionist. 😂 i tend to write alot of babble.

I loved the third 24 marker it was what i wanted so got a nice argument there but the 12 marker was strange never seen that before i got a good few paragraphs for it but i think only two of them will be credited i made the other two up 😂

Yeah i think i did better than last year i hope so anyway! What are you doing at A2? 😊

woo congrats it sounds like you did really well too !!! idk about q3 but for the first questions it sounds like you made really good points! ahh i wish i mentioned his assassination now haha i think you'll have improved your grade :smile:
i'm doing biology, modern history and psychology (im retaking all of bio and also as chemistry :frown:) what do you study ??
Reply 12
Original post by pui
woo congrats it sounds like you did really well too !!! idk about q3 but for the first questions it sounds like you made really good points! ahh i wish i mentioned his assassination now haha i think you'll have improved your grade :smile:
i'm doing biology, modern history and psychology (im retaking all of bio and also as chemistry :frown:) what do you study ??

Youll have to give me a message on results day :biggrin:, what university you going to? Guessing you are doing crazy subjects like that haha 😏..

I did quite well at As so i only had to retake this russia exam i got an A in Law, A in pyschology and a B in history (also got a distinction in Criminology but turns out its worth nothing as its a new subject barely anyone accepted it) so i just do those three this year.

Dreading the psychology exams, our teacher left last year so we might aswell be teaching ourself, theres only three of us in my class haha.

Cant imagine doing chemistry at this level i think it would tip me over the edge haha! Good luck with all your exams im sure youll smash them! 😆
Reply 13
Original post by Abbey15
Youll have to give me a message on results day :biggrin:, what university you going to? Guessing you are doing crazy subjects like that haha 😏..

I did quite well at As so i only had to retake this russia exam i got an A in Law, A in pyschology and a B in history (also got a distinction in Criminology but turns out its worth nothing as its a new subject barely anyone accepted it) so i just do those three this year.

Dreading the psychology exams, our teacher left last year so we might aswell be teaching ourself, theres only three of us in my class haha.

Cant imagine doing chemistry at this level i think it would tip me over the edge haha! Good luck with all your exams im sure youll smash them! 😆

Posted from TSR Mobile

well hopefully I'm going to sussex university but i mean that depends on my results so we'll see haha I'm hoping to study neuroscience lol are you going to uni and which one??
omg criminology sounds so interesting!!! I wish I could've taken that but I'm pretty sure my college doesn't even offer that but wow you did do really well at AS!! I got a D in bio, the lowest possible B in history, an A in psych and a U in chemistry lol...
I'm dreading psychology toooo especially the essay exam oh my god and wow how come there's only 3 of you taking psychology haha
and thank uu!!! I'm not confident about my exams at all :s
good luck to you too im sure ull do great as well!!!!
Reply 14
Original post by pui
Posted from TSR Mobile

well hopefully I'm going to sussex university but i mean that depends on my results so we'll see haha I'm hoping to study neuroscience lol are you going to uni and which one??
omg criminology sounds so interesting!!! I wish I could've taken that but I'm pretty sure my college doesn't even offer that but wow you did do really well at AS!! I got a D in bio, the lowest possible B in history, an A in psych and a U in chemistry lol...
I'm dreading psychology toooo especially the essay exam oh my god and wow how come there's only 3 of you taking psychology haha
and thank uu!!! I'm not confident about my exams at all :s
good luck to you too im sure ull do great as well!!!!

Ive heard its really nice there! Science is so interesting, i enjoyed biology at GCSE but i only got a B so didnt risk it at A level haha. Sounds like a difficult degree!

Im hoping to go to Lancaster University if i can get my grades but pyschology will be a struggle.. theres only three of us because last year everyone failed, the teacher left to have an operation, so we had no teacher, she then came back this year and left again.. i was the only person that passed As at my sixform so the other two are resitting one of the papers so they can get into their universities. My sixforms a mess. Its ridiculous, im feeling quite stressed because theyve let us down..on the plus side just under a month and i wont have to worry about the place anymore haha!

Just focus on them and try your best, what topics are you doing as A2 in history? 😊
Reply 15
Original post by Abbey15
Ive heard its really nice there! Science is so interesting, i enjoyed biology at GCSE but i only got a B so didnt risk it at A level haha. Sounds like a difficult degree!

Im hoping to go to Lancaster University if i can get my grades but pyschology will be a struggle.. theres only three of us because last year everyone failed, the teacher left to have an operation, so we had no teacher, she then came back this year and left again.. i was the only person that passed As at my sixform so the other two are resitting one of the papers so they can get into their universities. My sixforms a mess. Its ridiculous, im feeling quite stressed because theyve let us down..on the plus side just under a month and i wont have to worry about the place anymore haha!

Just focus on them and try your best, what topics are you doing as A2 in history? 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow omg I thought my college was bad that sucks!! at least you managed to pass though and with an A!!! Hopefully not having a teacher won't stop u doing well this year, you'll be fine don't stress about it too much :smile: you can get the grades for uni you did really well last year so it shows ur capable!! youll be fine :biggrin:
In A2 we studied the Arab-Israeli conflict for our coursework and we're doing modern Britain for the exam (it's basically 100% politics and so dull) but studying the Arab Israeli conflict was genuinely really interesting!! modern Britain is just.. boring to be honest lol
Original post by megandardenne
I ran out of time so badly as well! I left one of the 12 marks until the end and so only had 5 minutes to answer on it!

That exam needs to be about an hour and a half or something. It seems like they're testing our writing speed more than knowledge and written skills. :cry2:

Original post by Abbey15
I was searching for a thread lastnight 😂 like to know how others have found exams 😊

I managed to finish the exam but my 12 marker on the bolsheviks forming wasnt as good as it could have been. I did 4 paragraphs but 2 of them wasnt adequate and probably incorrect!

Ah i was so happy about the collapse of the
PG question. Managed to get a nice argument for that one.

My mind kept going blank like it did last year thank god its over..
What grades did you get last year? Do you both think you did better yesterday? 😊

Glad your exam went well! :h:

No I don't think I've done better than last year. I'm trying to not think about it too much right now.

The thing is that my paper was lost so I started my exam more than half an hour after everyone else. I had a panic attack before my exam so I had to write with shaky hands which means I was writing so much slower than I could.

Last year I got a C I think. I'm expecting myself to get a D in this exam. :sigh:

Original post by pui

In the 12 marker for Question 2 I spoke about the country being in a bad economic state due to previous wars in 1863 and onwards such as The Crimean War and Battles of Balaclava and Inkerman which dropped the country's economic growth significantly. Also discussed the need for a reform in the country economically through industrialisation. Talking about the currency value dropping, grain export was lower than imports and needed to increase this. Now I think about it I could have also mentioned the living and working conditions being really bad and industrialisation could potentially improve it (though it did not). I think what you spoke about are great examples to use, why didn't I think of that. :shakecane: Don't worry about it. There's no right answers as there's so much you can talk about and not everything is mentioned in the mark scheme but you will still get the marks or it because it's a valid point.

Don't think about it too much, you will be fine! :h:

Do you have any other exams for History?

I'm sitting Life in Nazi Germany HIS2M next week Wednesday. :s:
Reply 17
God everytime I see what other people wrote I feel like my answer gets worse and worse lol you made really good points I honestly thought of none of those I definitely didn't make enough points for 12 marks but hopefully I get a decent mark :biggrin:
and yea im doing modern Britain 1945-2007 possibly the dullest topic of them all :smile: yours sounds way more interesting haha
wait yours is next week??? I thought a2 exams weren't until June ahh good luck!!!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by undercxver
That exam needs to be about an hour and a half or something. It seems like they're testing our writing speed more than knowledge and written skills. :cry2:

Glad your exam went well! :h:

No I don't think I've done better than last year. I'm trying to not think about it too much right now.

The thing is that my paper was lost so I started my exam more than half an hour after everyone else. I had a panic attack before my exam so I had to write with shaky hands which means I was writing so much slower than I could.

Last year I got a C I think. I'm expecting myself to get a D in this exam. :sigh:

In the 12 marker for Question 2 I spoke about the country being in a bad economic state due to previous wars in 1863 and onwards such as The Crimean War and Battles of Balaclava and Inkerman which dropped the country's economic growth significantly. Also discussed the need for a reform in the country economically through industrialisation. Talking about the currency value dropping, grain export was lower than imports and needed to increase this. Now I think about it I could have also mentioned the living and working conditions being really bad and industrialisation could potentially improve it (though it did not). I think what you spoke about are great examples to use, why didn't I think of that. :shakecane: Don't worry about it. There's no right answers as there's so much you can talk about and not everything is mentioned in the mark scheme but you will still get the marks or it because it's a valid point.

Don't think about it too much, you will be fine! :h:

Do you have any other exams for History?

I'm sitting Life in Nazi Germany HIS2M next week Wednesday. :s:

Wow i really wouldnt worry too much. By the sounds of that you remember so much detail! I hate when things like that happen, especially because its out of your control! I got to our exam hall yesterday which is a sports hall and kids were playing in it at dinner and all the tables were down so i thought i had the wrong room. I went running around the school and sixform in the rain to find it was the sports hall but the cleaners made a mistake and took everything down haha!

If your other questions had much specific detail in there is no way you will get a low grade just focus on your other exams :smile:

God id of loved to do Germany, im abit of a finatic haha. Im doing Britan aswell :smile: had our coursework on Civil Rights in America that made me want to cry 😂 managed to get it up to an A in the end though..

Good luck with your exams, im sure youll do amazing!
Reply 19
Original post by pui
Posted from TSR Mobile

wow omg I thought my college was bad that sucks!! at least you managed to pass though and with an A!!! Hopefully not having a teacher won't stop u doing well this year, you'll be fine don't stress about it too much :smile: you can get the grades for uni you did really well last year so it shows ur capable!! youll be fine :biggrin:
In A2 we studied the Arab-Israeli conflict for our coursework and we're doing modern Britain for the exam (it's basically 100% politics and so dull) but studying the Arab Israeli conflict was genuinely really interesting!! modern Britain is just.. boring to be honest lol

Aw thankyou! I hope so 😊 im sure youll do great too!

Im doing Britan but in the 1600's basically all about monarch and parliament..its not too bad but makes me a little sleepy sometimes haha!

We did Civil Rights in America for coursework which i had mixed feelings about, even my teacher says it wasnt my best work had to push it for an A but i really didnt enjoy doing it so..😂 how did your coursework go? Your topic sounds interesting!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending