The Student Room Group

OCR MEI FP1 Thread - AM 20th May 2016

I didn't see any other 2016 threads for this module, please let me know if one is already established!

Timetable (skip to page 9)

---

Also, I've written an Enhanced Examination Paper for this module, specifically including MEI questions to help you all :smile:

It is meant to be a significantly more challenging examination of general concepts specified by different boards. It is fully doable for students with knowledge of standard FP1, C1, and C2 material.

Being able to make a good start on all of the questions is a good indicator that you are on track to a strong A in this module.

https://www.furthermathstutor.co.uk/fp1_enhanced.pdf

Let me know if you have any questions on the paper.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry mods, looks like I got the title messed up. Got the dates for the FP1/FP2 exams mixed up. Should be 20th May as in the post body!
Reply 2
Original post by Don John
x

Thanks for that paper
Reply 3

I didn't see any other 2016 threads for this module, please let me know if one is already established!

Timetable (skip to page 9)

---

Also, I've written an Enhanced Examination Paper for this module, specifically including MEI questions to help you all :smile:

It is meant to be a significantly more challenging examination of general concepts specified by different boards. It is fully doable for students with knowledge of standard FP1, C1, and C2 material.

Being able to make a good start on all of the questions is a good indicator that you are on track to a strong A in this module.

https://www.furthermathstutor.co.uk/fp1_enhanced.pdf

Let me know if you have any questions on the paper.

I'm a current AS Level Further Maths student & the paper from the link Question 1 doesn't really make sense to me :/ . Is it FP1?
Reply 4
When drawing an argand diagram, should you write 'j' next to the numbers on the y axis? Sometimes the mark schemes do and sometimes they don't, is there a 'proper' way to do it?
Is there an answer sheet for this paper?
How is everyone feeling about FP1?

Any question predictions?
Reply 7
Original post by Alex621
When drawing an argand diagram, should you write 'j' next to the numbers on the y axis? Sometimes the mark schemes do and sometimes they don't, is there a 'proper' way to do it?

I would assume so, just to be safe; you wanna look like you know what you're doing. Not all examiners will give you the benefit of the doubt so you don't wanna risk it!
fp1 jan 12 q8.png

Could anyone help me with how to do part (iv) of this question? I know how to do the rest of it.

(from January 2012)
Reply 9
I posted some answers and hints on the Edexcel post here.

I will upload the MEI answers and hints in a sec.
Original post by klosovic
fp1 jan 12 q8.png

Could anyone help me with how to do part (iv) of this question? I know how to do the rest of it.

(from January 2012)

Think about drawing triangles from the origin, to the centre of the locus, and then to the points A and B, then you can use trig to find the angles (the arg lines are tangents to the circle so they meet the radius at a right angle)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Alex621
Think about drawing triangles from the origin, to the centre of the locus, and then to the points A and B, then you can use trig to find the angles (the arg lines are tangents to the circle so they meet the radius at a right angle)

thank you!
Original post by Alex621

Usually you put Re on the x axis and Im on the y axis so you dont need to put j next to those numbers
When drawing regions on argand diagrams for a strict inequality ie < or > are the edges dotted or solid?
I posted some answers and hints on the Edexcel post here.

I will upload the MEI answers and hints in a sec.

Can you give some more straightforward answers for the questions please? Also under the summations it states r=0, is this the same as r=1? Otherwise, I think 15) on MEI is impossible and makes solving 3) seem wrong too. Anyway here are my answers if you want to correct them:

3) 4n(n-1)
4) line through (0,-j) and (1,0) and then shaded underneath line
5) 3-j, -1+2j, -1-2j
6) A-1 = (-0.5A + 1.5I)
7) 45 degrees anti clockwise followed by enlargement of s.f. 3
12) x=2 for asymptote and then graph
13) (a,0) and (0,a), asymptote is (-1/a) and then got x=-1 for d)
14) a/4w^2 + b/2w +c and aw^2 + (2a+b)w + (a + c + 1)
Original post by Crozzer24
When drawing regions on argand diagrams for a strict inequality ie < or > are the edges dotted or solid?

Dotted if > or < and then if => or <= its solid
proof by induction.png

When doing a proof by induction question phrased like this, is it fine to convert into sigma notation, or would you lose marks?
proof by induction.png

When doing a proof by induction question phrased like this, is it fine to convert into sigma notation, or would you lose marks?

I think you're allowed to do that as long as it's right
Reply 18
Original post by Charonder
I think you're allowed to do that as long as it's right

Any idea what paper that question is from? & How do you do it :/
Reply 19
proof by induction.png

What Q.Paper is that from :/ :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest