The Student Room Group

Do your exam invigilators play games during exams?

Hello all. I've created this thread so you can have a little rant about your schools/college exam invigilators (not too many mean comments about them though!!) and find out if at your school / college your exam invigilators play games during exams? I personally find it really off putting!

If you don't know what I'm on about check out this and it will explain A LOT!

http://blog.tutorhub.com/2013/06/21/top-ten-bizarre-games-exam-invigilators-play/

I was going to list all the ones our 6th form invigilators play until I realized they play ALL OF THEM! However, ours play stand by me & paperboy (with a twist cos they always take forever to come to us).

I've seen our exam invigilators with little pieces of paper which I'm certain is for battleships because they ALL have one during the length of the exam and they're all moving around. And someone in my class has also said they play stand by me because one of the invigilators were standing by them for AGES staring @ them as were other ones standing by different students!!! This also happened to me so I kept frowning @ the one who also stood by me for ages once they'd walked away when I'd finished, since it was completely unnecessary & totally off putting! and when they collected the exam papers they usually snatch them away from us! typical. :frown: ok rant over :smile:

so do your exam invigilators play the above games during exams?

Scroll to see replies

Well one of them gave me a mint once..
idk what sort of game that was :rofl: the 'give the mint to the student hacking her lungs up game' :lol:
a teacher in our school admitted they played a game called, 'stand next to the ugliest kid' as well as exam pacman
[video="youtube;cwv9W2afrMI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwv9W2afrMI[/video]
During college I was allowed to take my exams in a separate room to the other students so that I could type them. In one of my A Level ICT exams my invigilator was so bored (the exam was a long one), that she turned around in her chair and sat facing the wall instead of keeping an eye on me! Not a game, but I thought it was worth mentioning :lol:
Original post by Jack_Miller
a teacher in our school admitted they played a game called, 'stand next to the ugliest kid' as well as exam pacman

:eek: That is just cruel.

I'm sure Greg Davies has a routine about this

(so many ex-teachers in comedy :yes: )
One of our teachers who used to invigilate said that before the exam, the invigilators would agree on an animal, and then they would go and stand by the pupil who looked most like that animal in their opinion! Makes me paranoid when any invigilator stands next to me in an exam!

they ADMITTED it? harsh. Poor kid in that exam hall. do they each have to stand by a student and then rate them out of ugliness? what happens next? what if they all choose the same student?
Haven't seen any of those games, although one of the invigilators in my Chemistry GCSE paper today decided it was a good idea to start moving the stationery on my desk around...while I was working!

Apparently she couldn't see my candidate card properly - I think she was just bored!
I've been an invigilator and, tbh, I was quite boring.

Our exam hall was big and echoey, my shoes had quite a hard sole. Consequently, me walking around made a racket. So out of deference to the students I didn't walk around much, just did a figure of 8 every half hour or so.

I did often count the number of lefties, just to see if it really is 1in7... rock and roll.
Original post by pizzanomics
[video="youtube;cwv9W2afrMI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwv9W2afrMI[/video]

LOL I've seen this before on youtube :biggrin:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
:eek: That is just cruel.

I'd reckon its a common game for exam invigilators - they have nothing better to do - they play it in every exam I go to, and I'm guessing in others... :unimpressed:
Original post by bizzy_penguin
they ADMITTED it? harsh. Poor kid in that exam hall. do they each have to stand by a student and then rate them out of ugliness? what happens next? what if they all choose the same student?

he just told us afterwards, he was known as a cool teacher so everyone found it funny. The teachers just used to talk loudly behind a piece of paper at the front and they thought nobody could hear them, they probably decided then
I'd reckon its a common game for exam invigilators - they have nothing better to do - they play it in every exam I go to, and I'm guessing in others... :unimpressed:

Well, if an invigilator stands next to me for a bit too long this exam season, I'm going to poke them with my pen. :colonhash:
ginger bingo is an old favorite of invigilators :smile:
Original post by Drewski
I did often count the number of lefties, just to see if it really is 1in7... rock and roll.

Living the dream :moon:

(is it 1 in 7 though?)
Original post by Leviathan1741
During college I was allowed to take my exams in a separate room to the other students so that I could type them. In one of my A Level ICT exams my invigilator was so bored (the exam was a long one), that she turned around in her chair and sat facing the wall instead of keeping an eye on me! Not a game, but I thought it was worth mentioning :lol:

lol...
were they reading the wall display or was it a plain wall? or maybe watching the paint dry perhaps?
lol...
were they reading the wall display or was it a plain wall? or maybe watching the paint dry perhaps?

It was a plain wall, so I have no idea what they were looking at! Also, at one point I noticed them just writing the number '1' (or something similar) over and over on a piece of paper. I don't know what that was about either :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest