The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Level English Literature: Poetry and Drama Fri 20 May AM

Anyone doing this particular exam? Which texts are you doing?

I'm personally doing the tragedy 'A Streetcar Named Desire' for Drama, and everyone is doing 'Poems of the Decade: An Anthology of the Forward Books of Poetry'

Feel free to discuss other drama texts you may be doing.

Scroll to see replies

Im doing this too, as well as looking at the theme of Women and Society within Wuthering Heights and Mrs Dalloway
Reply 2
Original post by estherolan
Im doing this too, as well as looking at the theme of Women and Society within Wuthering Heights and Mrs Dalloway

I think that's for the prose exam not this one 😂
As I said on your other post, I'm teaching this course. We are, however, doing 'Doctor Faustus'.May I ask, how did you find your text? How about the teaching of the course? It's the first year of these exams for everyone, even us teachers! Good luck in your exam!
Finally someone who is taking this exam!!

I'm also doing Streetcar, and I actually really enjoy it but unfortunately this doesn't exactly correlate my ability... I'm finding English Lit really hard and still not really sure on how to revise for it :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by drrebeccakirby
As I said on your other post, I'm teaching this course. We are, however, doing 'Doctor Faustus'.May I ask, how did you find your text? How about the teaching of the course? It's the first year of these exams for everyone, even us teachers! Good luck in your exam!

I find my text quite interesting actually, it wasn't the actual story I liked, but the historical and social context from it. I actually prefer the teaching from GCSE because we actually discuss the book, rather than be spoon fed everything which I remember finding really frustrating! How are you finding your text?

Original post by Babs Posh
Finally someone who is taking this exam!!

I'm also doing Streetcar, and I actually really enjoy it but unfortunately this doesn't exactly correlate my ability... I'm finding English Lit really hard and still not really sure on how to revise for it :frown:

Sparknotes is really good for Streetcar but I wouldn't really rely just on that. I'm personally revising character by character first and applying it to themes in the play.

May I ask how you would consider revising Dr Faustus and what are key themes/ key areas which are most likely to be tested?
I.e what are the salient question styles to prepare: genre, religion?...
Hope that makes sense!

We are doing Dr. Faustus too. My teacher, however, seems to lack experience and barely gave us any notes or anything.
Reply 8
any predictions for the poetry section? :smile:
Original post by una.7

There's never been an exam with this specification so it could be literally any of the poems. Same goes for the Drama section.
I'm hoping a question comes up where I can make Giuseppe or Eat Me relevant. Loads of content there.

For Drama, I'm studying A Streetcar Named Desire, and here, we've taken the "gay reading" stance - the idea of a promiscuously gay writer (Williams) using a mouthpiece (Blanche) to exert his revenge on the heterosexual norm.
Original post by Remaine
I'm hoping a question comes up where I can make Giuseppe or Eat Me relevant. Loads of content there.

For Drama, I'm studying A Streetcar Named Desire, and here, we've taken the "gay reading" stance - the idea of a promiscuously gay writer (Williams) using a mouthpiece (Blanche) to exert his revenge on the heterosexual norm.

Eat Me is probably my best-case poem, or one of the others with strong imagery (Leisure Centre, Easy Passage, 9-Year-Old Self).

Also - that's genius for making alternative interpretations.
(edited 7 years ago)

Okay so what AOs are marked for each section and what do they entale?
I'm doing Othello and love poetry through the ages and I have no clue on how to revise or answer the questions confidently, anyone else doing this?

Also, if anyone is studying for the next English lit exam and are comparing The Great Gatsby and The Rotters Club then please let me know :smile:
Reply 14
I'm so going to fail this exam; our teaching has been very erratic all year and I'm not ready.
Original post by allxcey
I'm so going to fail this exam; our teaching has been very erratic all year and I'm not ready.

Me too :frown:(( there's about 10 poems I don't know I really hope an easier one comes up and I'm worried for streetcar too anyone got any ideas what 22/48 grade is??
Original post by Englishlit2016x
Me too :frown:(( there's about 10 poems I don't know I really hope an easier one comes up and I'm worried for streetcar too anyone got any ideas what 22/48 grade is??

Omg i always get similiar grades too
i got 20/48 and 10/24 in my drama and poetry mock exam = 30/72
what grade would this be overall, does anyone know?
Original post by student9898
Omg i always get similiar grades too
i got 20/48 and 10/24 in my drama and poetry mock exam = 30/72
what grade would this be overall, does anyone know?

on the individual essay's both grades give an E so i'd assume E overall
Original post by una.7

It probably WONT BE 'Chainsaw' or 'An Easy Passage' as those were the ones in the sample materials

EDIT: these questions can be found here - https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/English%20Literature/2015/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/AS-Literature-SAM.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
I think one of the questions will concentrate on identites

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending