The Student Room Group

AQA AS level Business 19th and 23rd May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 09HB
Hi All,

We've had a mock that our teacher has come up with, and his questions were:

1) Why is it important for SYS to use business planning? (10)
2) A revised profit calculation based on a table of figures (8)
3) What would be the advantages and disadvantages if SYS decided to operate as a private limited company? (6)
4)Do you think that SYS should finance the expansion through a bank loan or by finding another partner? (10)
5) Cash flow forecast completion (4)
6) Explain 2 benefits of SYS using business sofware to effectively manage their business (6)
7) SYS have opposing views on the expansion plans. Analyse the arguments for and against expanding to Birmingham. You should advise SYS whether or not the expansion should go ahead. (16)

Hope that helps, and please post any other things that you think may come up.

Good luck tomorrow!

Hi, I am doing this exam too, I have done like 3 mock papers on this case study. In the first one I got a D which was really bad then I got two A's. I think question one and four are gonna the ones you mentioned. Question 1: Business Plan. Question 4: Expansion. I did not came across the question 3. Thanks for posting. I will go and do that one now. Good luck!
Reply 21
Guys doing the new spec! I think decision tree's will come up as it's new! I'm really scared as I never finish my questions in time 😭 how do you guys normally do you conclusion/judgement? What I normally do is make a final judgement but then suggest a recommendation and the short term and long term effects of it? Does that sound right to you good luck everyone!
Original post by ahmadraza281
I am doing the old spec. The case study is given to every candidate two weeks before the exam.

Are you retaking?
Original post by bendover1
Are you retaking?

No, I am not. This is my first year.
Reply 24
Original post by Nc_x
Guys doing the new spec! I think decision tree's will come up as it's new! I'm really scared as I never finish my questions in time 😭 how do you guys normally do you conclusion/judgement? What I normally do is make a final judgement but then suggest a recommendation and the short term and long term effects of it? Does that sound right to you good luck everyone!

For the conclusion / judgement , it would depend on the question at hand. Some questions may ask analyse , explain, evaluate , your opinion to an extent. I would mention key words such as "However" , "This leads to / results in" , "This depends on".

Another thing you would have to remember is that when a question asks "to an extent , you would firstly have points that are counter-argued. Furthermore you should remember to include the words "to an extent" with your opinion in the conclusion.

Also, a piece of advice to anyone who feels like they won't finish questions on time : Keep an eye on the time and don't panic if you hear others turning pages at a quicker rate. You never know, they might be rushing the paper and losing necessary marks! You should treat the question in relation to the marks - 1 mark would equal 1 minute. This will help with time management. You would be expected to spend around 10 minutes for the multiple choice section then you should not spend longer than 10 minutes reading and highlighting points in the case studies . This will give you an ample amount of time to continue with the second section without running out of time. However if you do find yourself running out of time, then move straight on to the higher marked questions [15-20 marks]. It would be pointless to completely miss out a 15-20 mark question in favour of a question with less marks. This can make all the difference with the grades achieved.
Reply 25
Thank you very much!!!
Also when a question (for eg.)asks to what extent is the product the biggest influence on the business (16marks) for your counter argue point do you say why product is not the biggest problem or do you say another factor which is more important! I have two business teachers and they constantly telling me to do it in different ways hence why I'm still a little confused
Original post by SleepyM
For the conclusion / judgement , it would depend on the question at hand. Some questions may ask analyse , explain, evaluate , your opinion to an extent. I would mention key words such as "However" , "This leads to / results in" , "This depends on".

Another thing you would have to remember is that when a question asks "to an extent , you would firstly have points that are counter-argued. Furthermore you should remember to include the words "to an extent" with your opinion in the conclusion.

Also, a piece of advice to anyone who feels like they won't finish questions on time : Keep an eye on the time and don't panic if you hear others turning pages at a quicker rate. You never know, they might be rushing the paper and losing necessary marks! You should treat the question in relation to the marks - 1 mark would equal 1 minute. This will help with time management. You would be expected to spend around 10 minutes for the multiple choice section then you should not spend longer than 10 minutes reading and highlighting points in the case studies . This will give you an ample amount of time to continue with the second section without running out of time. However if you do find yourself running out of time, then move straight on to the higher marked questions [15-20 marks]. It would be pointless to completely miss out a 15-20 mark question in favour of a question with less marks. This can make all the difference with the grades achieved.
Reply 26
Original post by Nc_x
Thank you very much!!!
Also when a question (for eg.)asks to what extent is the product the biggest influence on the business (16marks) for your counter argue point do you say why product is not the biggest problem or do you say another factor which is more important! I have two business teachers and they constantly telling me to do it in different ways hence why I'm still a little confused

You would give the extent to your opinion and counter it by mentioning another factor. Since you've said product as one influence, you would be able to bring in the marketing mix [4P's] Price, Place, Product, Promotion.

E.g. I believe that , to an extent, that the biggest influence on the business is the product as it can be a recognisable and reputable brand. This could be the best selling product which would earn the business a higher revenue as a result of increased sales or it could be the worst selling product which would lower the revenue of the business as a result of a decline in sales. However, the product is not the only influential factor on the business, it can be price. A higher price for a low quality good or service would mean customers would look for better deals therefore the business does not make many sales or a lower price for a high quality item would help them compete against rivals but it could mean that there is not enough supply , resulting in customers looking for alternative products. Nonetheless, product is still , to an extent, the biggest influence on a business.

Hope this helps. :smile:
decision trees
hi all I can't wait to do the exam hope it goes quickly
That was pretty easy actually :smile:

What did everyone get for the return on investment question?
Original post by dwinnbrown
That was pretty easy actually :smile:

What did everyone get for the return on investment question?

Really happy too!! It was easy:tongue: I got 23.2%
What did people get for the re-order level
Reply 32
me and my friend both got 31.85% for return on investment question
Reply 33
Original post by curtisbailey123
What did people get for the re-order level

Original post by weffo111
me and my friend both got 31.85% for return on investment question

it was 23%
What did you get for the decision tree and the debt factoring benefit
Reply 36
What did you get for the decision tree and the debt factoring benefit

I got £6.1 million for the decision trees question. Any one else?
Reply 37
How did everyone find the AS aqa business exam?
it was 23%

Got that aswell! (Well 23.2% but it's still right) :tongue:
Original post by Samxa
I got £6.1 million for the decision trees question. Any one else?

Yep pretty confident on that one.

I got 30.6% for the roi one...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending