The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Biology Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1480
Original post by jemchy
Are these all the questions? I feel like there were more. Also for Q31 could you have had lichen as an air pollution indicator??

I thought so too but it said that an animal indicator was needed aoparently so the answer would have been mayfly larvae or invertabretes for oxygen levels in water.
Original post by Primrose_Kitten
Sorry, but we don't use recurring in science. It needed to be rounded to 0.67. You should get most of thes for 0.6 assuming you showed your working.

Yeah, I realised my mistake.
Original post by Primrose_Kitten
If there is anything I can help you with just ask!!!

I knew it was you but i thought it might have been a fake account !
I got 0.66%
Original post by jemchy
Are these all the questions? I feel like there were more. Also for Q31 could you have had lichen as an air pollution indicator??

Yes, at least that's what I put. What did you put for other factors?
Original post by thecomputernerd
loads of people are saying that nicotine is addictive won't give you a mark, and we had to say withdrawal symptoms and dependency, oh well i think we should get a mark for saying nicotine is addictive, because its true?

yes hopefully :smile:
Reply 1486
I think for question 23 it specifically asked about the bones touching the floor only. In which case would the two marks not be for:
The bones decreased in size (1)
The number of digits decrease from 4 to 1 (1)?

Also, for question 20, would 'to see trends/patterns in the data' be an acceptable answer for the scatter graph?

Original post by hguin
Lets create the unofficial mark scheme for today's biology paper, please help by commenting in this format: [Question number - Question - Answer - marks given].

Please continue to submit answers!

Unofficial markscheme

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64879273&postcount=317
Original post by Haashym
The indicator species answer was lichens and the environmental factor was air pollution

GM Mosquito - enzymes used to take out gene (first mark) the gene is transferred to the mosquito (second mark) at an early stage of development (third mark)

Scatter graph used to show the negative correlation

the question asked for an animal indicator species, i put freshwater shrimp and water pollution but there were loads of other options
Original post by habeeb_00
I got 0.666 whoops for the malaria one

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here, everyone else is wrong right? 😅
OH MY GOD I just realised how badly I hecked up that horse question, I didn't talk about genes at all cor blimey gee wiz I just talked about why longer legs were beneficial and stuff

edit for PG
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhhh no,me too. Didn't even think about that till now!
Original post by AxSirlotl
I realised that after, how stupid :frown:

I don't know why standard form is in there anyway... this isn't maths!
haha i remember when I was posting on these threads after exams. Look at me now.
I got 0.666 whoops for the malaria one

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got that too
i got that too 0.6 recurring
Original post by Proxenus
haha i remember when I was posting on these threads after exams. Look at me now.

Posting on these threads years after your exams?
Original post by thecomputernerd
what did people put for the malaria question about sentence 1 not being true in the article

i wrote down that the start of a food chain is usually a producer which is a plant but not sure whether that is right
Original post by kad126
1. Llegal, recreation (1) 2. Changes chemical reactions, causes withdrawal symptoms (1) 3. Independent company - not associated with the drug company (1) 4. Unbiased (1) 5. Effects nicotine, which is the same area as alcohol in the brain. Reduces pleasure, more likely to drink less (2) 6. Boys drink beer, cider but the girls drank more wine, alcopop and spirits. (2) 7. Not all boys drink because...(2) 8. Carbohydrates --> Energy, Protein --> Growth + repair, Fat --> Warmth + energy, Fibre --> helps digestive system, Calcium --> strong bones and teeth, Water --> Hydrated the body (6) 9. Temperature sensor - more accurate/easier to read because digital (1) 10. It increased because micro organisms break down grass, respire and release CO2 This is trapped because of cotton wool so it accumulates and increases (2) 11. It levels off at 20% because either not oxygen left for microorganisms to respire or all of the grass has been decomposed so the microorganisms have nothing left to feed on to respire (not sure) (1) 12. Receptor (e.g eyes/tongue/nose/skin/ears) detect stimuli and pass on an impulse. Effectors (e.g muscles/glands) receive an impulse and respond by contracting/releasing hormones (4) 13. Synapse - junction/small gap between two nerve endings/neurone (2) 14. Neurotransmitters diffuse through the synapse, attach onto nerve ending and continues pulse (2) 15. Sense organ using spinal chord - skin (1) 16. Mean speed = 80/50 = 1.6 (2) 17. Why is brain (without relay neurones) faster than spine? Less time wasted for impulses to be passed through the relay so it travels faster than the spine because of a shorter distance (2) 18. Biomass is lost through waste/energy/heat/respiration/movement (2) 19. There is a large amount of snails (200) as opposed to thrush (2) meaning they have less competition and ate more snails this more biomass (2) 20. It is a scatter graph because it is comparing two sets of data (1) 21. Higher percentage of no striped snails in woodlands but low percentage in grassland. Whereas with the light coloured snails, there's a higher percentage in grassland and low percentage in woodlands. (2) 22. Woodland snails are better adapted because they are camouflaged (1) 23. Horses foot size increased, amount of foot touching the floor decreased (2) 24. Foot has a larger surface area so less pressure on soft mud so they don't sink into the ground (2) 25. Variation in genes/mutations, better characteristics allow it to survive better and breed so their genetic material are passed onto the next generations. (4) 26. Advantages 1. Males are released, they don't feed of blood so they don't cause malaria. 2. They reproduce so the children die before they become female adults and reduce malaria outbreak 27. Disadvantages 1. Millions are released which could disrupt food chain, may even reduce biodiversity. 2. There could be long term side effects 28. Overall they should/shouldn't release the mosquitos because... (4) 29. Cut the gene using an enzyme from the DNA of the bacteria. Cut the DNA, using an enzyme, of the mosquito and insert the gene into it. Put the cell back into... (3) 30. First part of the food chain are producers i.e plants (2) 31. Mayfly larvae (animal) - water pollution (1) 32. Oxygen meter/rat tailed maggots/sludge worms for water pollution (1)60 marks

(Did this on my phone so explains why it's formatted so badly)

The marks add up to 62
Original post by charliej2802
Anyone else get 0.67%???

yeah i got that too
does someone have a copy of the paper?
What were the grades you could get on the aqa biology exam (the independent company question one) 2016

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending