The Student Room Group

Egyptair plane with 66 passengers disappears from radar

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Looking at the maps of where it lost contact and of the Meditterannean sea depths, it looks as if it may have gone down in one of the deepest areas of the sea. It could be 3000m down.

Lots of debris are being found at any rate. Some of that might be enough to confirm or deny a terrorist attack. You tend to find out what didn't bring an aircraft down pretty quickly.
Original post by hovado
The expert I heard on the BBC was suggesting the computer may have tried to correct a mechanical failure leading to the violent turns.

That is plausible but does not account for the lack of a Mayday call, which would have been made simultaneously with trying to get control back in the event of a failure.
Original post by Good bloke
That includes atheists and anyone opposed to the caliphate, including the Egyptian government (whose tourism industry Islamists wish to destroy).

This sounds like an answer someone would give in an English literature exam. You've really thought this out, haven't you?

That verse only applies if the people are living under the ruling of the Islamic State, which is not the case here. If the non-Muslims living there spread mischief or wage war, they are to be killed. There's not much else to it.
Original post by BaconandSauce
Sorry have to disagree if the trope is used in every instance it simple becomes trope with no valid meaning other tan we know it will be rolled out at some point

But have to agree with you it is well known Muslims kill more Muslims than anyone else (which is why I've always been amazed at the ire reserved for the west)

It becomes tedious, but not untrue. If we use the majority rule, i.e. you can only generalise a group by the actions of their majority, then Muslims can go on saying "Not all Muslims are terrorists" even if a thousand terror attacks happen. That statement itself remains true from the first attack to the last, although it becomes tedious as I said, and most times irrelevant.
Original post by yasminkattan
It was directed towards them but it also applies to Muslims.

If you read it carefully you will find the verse is describing the old laws that had been laid down for the Israelites. The next verse makes it clear the old situation no longer applies, as a consequence of repeated disobedience. So, while it used to apply to the Jews, it does not apply to Moslems.
You included that link and failed to properly read the explanation yourself. Typical. Either that or you didn't understand it.

I like how you've already decided, before his response to the charge that he didn't read it properly, that it simply must be a misunderstanding if this isn't the case and he still came to a conclusion that you disagree with. :tongue:

Pre-empting/making contingency plans like that isn't very intellectually honest - it reads like an attempt to ensure that you won't have to concede the point no matter what happens, since whether something is correctly understood is entirely subjective. 'If not X, then Y; if not Y, then something else, because my view cannot be false.'
Reply 86
That is plausible but does not account for the lack of a Mayday call, which would have been made simultaneously with trying to get control back in the event of a failure.

Who knows, I have nothing more to add on that i'm afraid he didn't go into the lack of a mayday call, i'll let you get on with your conspiracy theories now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oShahpo
It becomes tedious, but not untrue. If we use the majority rule, i.e. you can only generalise a group by the actions of their majority, then Muslims can go on saying "Not all Muslims are terrorists" even if a thousand terror attacks happen. That statement itself remains true from the first attack to the last, although it becomes tedious as I said, and most times irrelevant.

Yes Very Tedious (hence it's usefulness in these types of discussion is nothing more than to cause a distraction from the point)

Thing is I don't see people generalise other than mostly Muslims generalising the responses saying we are talking about 'all Muslims' when this clearly isn't the case.
Original post by hovado
Who knows, well i'll let you get on with your conspiracy theories now.

What conspiracy? I am merely speculating (with little evidence other than the sharp turns and, especially, the lack of a Mayday call) that the incident appears to fit a hijacking rather better than it fits a plane failure.

What conspiracy evidence have you heard?
Reply 89
What conspiracy? I am merely speculating (with little evidence other than the sharp turns and, especially, the lack of a Mayday call) that the incident appears to fit a hijacking rather better than it fits a plane failure.

What conspiracy evidence have you heard?

You're speculating that there was a conspiracy to bring down the plane, clearly you've created yourself a conspiracy theory.
Original post by hovado
You're speculating that there was a conspiracy to bring down the plane, clearly you've created yourself a conspiracy theory.

I have said nothing whatever about how many people were involved if it is a hijack attempt.
Reply 91
I have said nothing whatever about how many people were involved if it is a hijack attempt.

So you believe it was a lone hijacker with no connections to any terrorist groups?
Original post by hovado
So you believe it was a lone hijacker with no connections to any terrorist groups?

I have no evidence that it wasn't, and it may be. Years ago, jokes about hijacks always contained the line "This is a hijack; take this plane to Cuba".
Reply 93
I have no evidence that it wasn't, and it may be. Years ago, jokes about hijacks always contained the line "This is a hijack; take this plane to Cuba".

Then why all the talk of islamist extremists, that's not how the generally operate is it? Enjoy your conspiracy theories. :h:
This thread should be closed unless we go back to discussing the plane crash...
Reply 95
I have not suggested Islamist extremists perpetrated the incident. I have, however, mentioned in an unrelated aside that they have a motive to do so.

Its ok, theres nothing wrong with a good conspiracy theory. :wink:
Looks highly likely to be because of terrorism. Terrible for all on board. Also Egyptair has a terrible history with a lot of crashes.
Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves really. Here you are already blaming it on Muslims despite there being no evidence of a terrorist attack, or any information about the cause, whilst the families of these 66 people are in agony. May Allah forgive these people and help their families through this tough time. And may he punish those who were responsible for this, if it happens to be the case.

PRSOM.
Quite pathetic really. Certain individuals just take advantage of tragedies like this to express their hatred of Islam and Muslims. When hearing of the incident, their first thoughts were probably along the lines of "omg these terrorist Muslims" instead of sparing a thought for the victims and families.
Original post by childofthesun
PRSOM.
Quite pathetic really. Certain individuals just take advantage of tragedies like this to express their hatred of Islam and Muslims. When hearing of the incident, their first thoughts were probably along the lines of "omg these terrorist Muslims" instead of sparing a thought for the victims and families.

Exactly, finally someone with some sense.
Original post by childofthesun
PRSOM.
Certain individuals just take advantage of tragedies like this to express their hatred of Islam and Muslims.

Nobody in this thread has expressed any dislike, much less hate, for Moslems.

Quick Reply

Latest