The Student Room Group

i answered the wrong section in my exam- what do i do?????? please help im panicing

Scroll to see replies

I think if there is a choice of questions and someone has answered two, the examiner marks the first answered one that she/he comes across. At least that's what my geography teacher said for the geography exams, they definitely don't mark both and choose the best though.
Honstly dont think the teacher will make any difference whatsoever. the exam paper os out of their hands and the property of AQA now. People get things wrong, mis time and misread exam papers all the time. I still cnat work out from what he's posted, exactly what OP has done anyway.
Original post by D.SHA64
crime and deviance
mass media
power<----- the one that i was not supposed to do( i think i might have spent more than 5 mins on it idk i just panicked)
social inequality

And there's a total of three twelve mark questions??
And girl it's okay, I didn't even finish! But please tell me you have to answer three twelve mark questions??
Reply 23
Original post by JS31294
My advice would be to talk to your teacher as soon as possible and explain the situation, they can either help solve it or will tell you that whats done is done and it cant be changed. But you might as well make them aware and ask if they can do anything, you might as well try.

But don't panic things will be fine. Just an unfortunate situation but I bet its happened to many people in the past :smile: x

thank you
this gave me hope!:smile:
Reply 24
Original post by TheNerdxP
And there's a total of three twelve mark questions??
And girl it's okay, I didn't even finish! But please tell me you have to answer three twelve mark questions??

i answered 4 12 mark questions
because i answered the power 12 mark question
Original post by D.SHA64

How did you find enough time?? I couldn't even finish three xD But honestly, I wouldn't worry about it, did you just answer the twelve mark question in that section? I would concentrate on studying for your other exams because it's one exam at the end of the day and it might not even be affected
You'd have to retake, I think, if possible. I don't think you can even appeal to the exam board since the exam has been taken.
Reply 27
Original post by D.SHA64
thank you
this gave me hope!:smile:

Sorry to put a downer on things but with the exam boards as they are these days it's most likely they'll just mark the first answer (section) provided, ignoring the rest. They barely get the marks right when marking, let alone marking more than they have to.

Just put this to rest and focus on the rest of your exams.
Reply 28
do they allow retakes

Original post by SubZero~
You'd have to retake, I think, if possible. I don't think you can even appeal to the exam board since the exam has been taken.
Original post by D.SHA64
do they allow retakes

I don't know, hence why I said 'if possible.'
Reply 30
Original post by TheNerdxP
How did you find enough time?? I couldn't even finish three xD But honestly, I wouldn't worry about it, did you just answer the twelve mark question in that section? I would concentrate on studying for your other exams because it's one exam at the end of the day and it might not even be affected

i started with the 12 markers first
then in the last 45 mins i tried to finnish the other 4 and 5 markers
i didnt finnish it either dw you not the only one
everyone in my class finnished
i didnt because i wasted my time of the stupid power question i only completed the 12 marked for power
Reply 31
First of all, how did you manage to answer the wrong section?
Second of all, did you realise that you were answering the wrong section during the exam? if not, there's a chance you may have not completely failed it.
Third of all, if you did fail, you could probably re-sit it at some point.
Original post by D.SHA64

So you answered all 4 when you should only have answered 3?

And the power question you answered last?

So it went

crime and deviance
mass media
social inequality
power<----- the one that i was not supposed to do( i think i might have spent more than 5 mins on it idk i just panicked)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by SubZero~
I don't know, hence why I said 'if possible.'

how do i find out
Original post by D.SHA64
how do i find out

Contact the exam board/your exams officer/teacher(s).
Original post by Naranja
That's what I thought, but they said they weren't sure if they could. Having made a mistake would certainly make no difference, but perhaps there's variation in school policy on retakes?

It may be because of the A level reforms - if the year after you is moving to a linear A level course Im not sure you can resit
How did you even manage to answer the other section when you don't know the knowledge behind it???
There's nothing you can do tbh. The exams been over and done with; unless you resit next year.
How the hell did you do that? Were you just answering questions you had no idea about? There is nothing you can do other than hope for the best on results day I'm afraid. Otherwise everyone would be calling up if they answered a wrong question.
Reply 38
Original post by samina_ay
How did you even manage to answer the other section when you don't know the knowledge behind it???
There's nothing you can do tbh. The exams been over and done with; unless you resit next year.

can i resit next year??
i do gcse sociology
Original post by TheBirder
I think if there is a choice of questions and someone has answered two, the examiner marks the first answered one that she/he comes across. At least that's what my geography teacher said for the geography exams, they definitely don't mark both and choose the best though.

It depends on the exam board, I know that OCR will mark both answers if given and will award the highest mark, as there is an underlying assumption that the candidate has penalised themselves by answering more than required.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending