The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature: LITB1 - Friday 20th May 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ribbon123
Since the only people doing this paper are year 13s who are re-sitting do you think the grade boundaries will be higher?

Yeah I was wondering about that! I guess it would make sense for them to be, since people will tend to do better this year than they did last year. I'm not really sure. I'm also worried they'll give us horrible questions because they know we're all resitting!!
Reply 101
Hi!
This is the issue with choosing great expectations for section A I suppose, although I don't think it'll be a particularly difficult or obscure chapter as they'll be wanting to avoid as many re sits as possible.
Reply 102
Original post by ribbon123
Since the only people doing this paper are year 13s who are re-sitting do you think the grade boundaries will be higher?

This is not how boundary setting works so no.
Im hoping they finally use James Honeyman for Auden but i feel like if they do the second half of section A will be a bastard of a question. I'm starting to panic because i felt so confident last year and just didnt get the marking points clearly, and i now have a vendetta against AQA ahaha
Original post by ivybridge
This is not how boundary setting works so no.

But surely people resitting will tend to get better grades than they did before? So wouldn't that put the grade boundaries up, if more people are getting higher grades?
Reply 105
Original post by tagliatilly
But surely people resitting will tend to get better grades than they did before? So wouldn't that put the grade boundaries up, if more people are getting uhigher grades?

That's not necessarily true either.
That's not necessarily true either.

Well no but surely it's very likely? In general people will tend to do better if they're taking an exam for the second time. If that wasn't true, and people tended to get the same/worse grades, nobody would bother retaking exams.
Enduring love is disgusting. :angry:
Reply 108
Well no but surely it's very likely? In general people will tend to do better if they're taking an exam for the second time. If that wasn't true, and people tended to get the same/worse grades, nobody would bother retaking exams.

Not intrinsically true either. One should ask themselves why so many people resit. It isn't usually because they can do it but didn't. Also, people have A2s to focus on and haven't been taught it all year, as such, they're hardly walking in fully prepared. Anyway, I disagree with you and its a matter of opinion anyway.
Not intrinsically true either. One should ask themselves why so many people resit. It isn't usually because they can do it but didn't. Also, people have A2s to focus on and haven't been taught it all year, as such, they're hardly walking in fully prepared. Anyway, I disagree with you and its a matter of opinion anyway.

Everyone I know who's resitting this exam are A-grade students but just messed the exam up last year, so from what I know people will tend to do better this year. But yeah I agree that people will probably be slightly less prepared since we haven't been taught this stuff in a year... I wasn't saying grade boundaries will definitely be higher or anything, I just thought it was a possibility!
Reply 110
Everyone I know who's resitting this exam are A-grade students but just messed the exam up last year, so from what I know people will tend to do better this year. But yeah I agree that people will probably be slightly less prepared since we haven't been taught this stuff in a year... I wasn't saying grade boundaries will definitely be higher or anything, I just thought it was a possibility!

Yes, people you know. Not the whole country. Many English teachers are crap in this country. There are people on this thread who literally didn't even know the basic rubrics of the paper.
Yes, people you know. Not the whole country. Many English teachers are crap in this country. There are people on this thread who literally didn't even know the basic rubrics of the paper.

I'm really worried about section b, have you got any last minute pointers and where to focus my revision?
Reply 112
Original post by megandardenne
I'm really worried about section b, have you got any last minute pointers and where to focus my revision?

For Section B, you just simply must know the texts very well. That's all there is to say really as far as revision is concerned.
For Section B, you just simply must know the texts very well. That's all there is to say really as far as revision is concerned.

I don't feel I know Gatsby as well as I should.
In terms of relating the narrative feature to the significance would you relate it to the from and structure of the novel?

Also what is the significance of Nick's framing device in chapters 1 and 9?
Original post by megandardenne
I don't feel I know Gatsby as well as I should.
In terms of relating the narrative feature to the significance would you relate it to the from and structure of the novel?

Also what is the significance of Nick's framing device in chapters 1 and 9?

The framing narrative is significant in that it opens up and closes Gatsby's story, it literally frames it and brings what is typically a personal tragedy into the public consciousness. Think of great tragedies like Hamlet and Macbeth, these are royals - their losses impact upon many. Tom and Daisy "retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness", Nick makes the reader aware of a story that ought not and does not touch the other characters in the book. Fitzgerald uses Nick as a means for us to see the grand fall of Jay Gatsby, an Everyman figure, proving how important a personal tragedy of a new money man can be. It's significant in providing an outside vantage point for the audience so themes such as class can be made more prominent.

That's my view of it anyways, hope this helps.

I know the whole country won't be in the same situation, that's what I was trying to imply by saying "from what I know". I was just making the point that the people I know are all I have to go on. I feel like you think I'm being rude but I'm really not trying to be, I'm sorry if it came across that way!!
Section B predictions? I think antagonists is possible
Ahh so nervous for tommorow!

Anyone got any predictions for Tennyson questions?
Original post by Lorenwhu
Section B predictions? I think antagonists is possible
possibly journeys?
contrasts or narrative voice as well maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending