The Student Room Group

Finding the angle when resolving

Hi.
Im struggling to understand how to find the angle to use when resolving the component of weight for question 6(ii). Its a different diagram layout to the questions i have done before.
Any help would be great.
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/63185-question-paper-unit-4728-01-mechanics.pdf
Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by SamuelN98
Hi.
Im struggling to understand how to find the angle to use when resolving the component of weight for question 9(iii). Its a different diagram layout to the questions i have done before.
Any help would be great.
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/63185-question-paper-unit-4728-01-mechanics.pdf
Thanks

There's no 9(iii) on that paper.
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
There's no 9(iii) on that paper.

Sorry 6(ii)
Reply 3
Sorry 6(ii)

Just make use of perpendicularity over and over again.

The angle at the bottom has to be 30 since angles add up to 180. Then the blue line makes another triangle so the angle between the blue line and parallel down to the slope is 60. Then parallel down is perpendicular to normal force, so angle between normal and normal force is 90-60 = 30 again.

Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
Just make use of perpendicularity over and over again.

The angle at the bottom has to be 30 since angles add up to 180. Then the blue line makes another triangle so the angle between the blue line and parallel down to the slope is 60. Then parallel down is perpendicular to normal force, so angle between normal and normal force is 90-60 = 30 again.

I need to remember this ^^ . Thanks
Reply 5
I need to remember this ^^ . Thanks

You get used to deriving it or remembering it if you do those sort of questions over and over again. :lol:
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
You get used to deriving it or remembering it if you do those sort of questions over and over again. :lol:

Guess thats way forward, still got a month left. Btw what maths exams are you taking this year?
Reply 7
Guess thats way forward, still got a month left. Btw what maths exams are you taking this year?

iirc I'm doing S3, FP2-3 in June (+STEP) and I've already done C1-4, M1-3, S1-2, FP1 in January.
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
iirc I'm doing S3, FP2-3 in June (+STEP) and I've already done C1-4, M1-3, S1-2, FP1 in January.

Woah, that`s a lot of maths. Hope they go well. How much do you have to practice?
Reply 9
Woah, that`s a lot of maths. Hope they go well. How much do you have to practice?

Thanks to STEP, pretty much not at all. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest