The Student Room Group

Advice needed URGENTLY!

I recently started dating an older guy the age gap isn't huge but my parents dont like him. Im 17 and hes 22 and im falling in love, how do i get my parents to see what a nice guy he is?

Im also a virgin and i want him to be my first but hes rough and im kind of scared that it might hurt. what should i do?

Scroll to see replies

Listen to your parents.
Reply 2
Original post by Wonderbeard
Listen to your parents.

I cant just break it off with him because my parents want me to, and i dont want to hurt his feelings
Don't listen to your parents
Reply 4
Original post by sofi_hadid
I cant just break it off with him because my parents want me to, and i dont want to hurt his feelings

What's this guy like? Think about if he's it worth it frankly, make sure you dont do something you regret. A 22 year old is way more experienced than a 17 year old. Five years may not be a huge gap, but it's pretty much the difference between an adult and immaturity.
Reply 5
I think you should listen to your parents, they know what's best for their child.
Focus on your education right now. If he really cares and loves you then he can wait for you
that's quite a big age gap at your age, I would never have had any interest in a 17 y/o while in my twenties, you're still in school and a virgin while he could have graduated uni and started proper work (and presumably isn't), I think your parents are right

also, if you're scared about losing your virginity and worry he will hurt you then you aren't ready in yourself and your relationship is not good enough to make you feel comfortable, you should wait
Reply 7
I recently started dating an older guy the age gap isn't huge but my parents dont like him. Im 17 and hes 22 and im falling in love, how do i get my parents to see what a nice guy he is?

Im also a virgin and i want him to be my first but hes rough and im kind of scared that it might hurt. what should i do?

how long have you been dating for
Reply 8
Original post by D.SHA64
how long have you been dating for

we met just after Christmas and started dating in january, so 5 months.
Reply 9
Original post by Aykem
What's this guy like? Think about if he's it worth it frankly, make sure you dont do something you regret. A 22 year old is way more experienced than a 17 year old. Five years may not be a huge gap, but it's pretty much the difference between an adult and immaturity.

I like the fact that hes more experienced and knowledgeable because it makes him different from my usual group of friends and i think he is worth it because he makes me feel like an adult.
give it some time mate
try to explain to your parents that you like him
do you trust him?

we met just after Christmas and started dating in january, so 5 months.
Whatever choice you make it should be your choice not your parents. The stupid thing about parents like this is they don't understand the best way to parent is to let people screw things up for themselves, that way in the future you won't have to rely on them...
Reply 12
I like the fact that hes more experienced and knowledgeable because it makes him different from my usual group of friends and i think he is worth it because he makes me feel like an adult.

It should definitely be your choice, so it's up to you to weigh it up. Maybe try and get your parents and him to spend time together? Why exactly don't they like him?
Reply 13
Original post by D.SHA64
give it some time mate
try to explain to your parents that you like him
do you trust him?

I do trust him, he wouldnt ever hurt me on purpose. but ive heard stories about girls in my school who have had sex with guys and then been used by them and i dont want to be that kind of girl.
Reply 14
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Whatever choice you make it should be your choice not your parents. The stupid thing about parents like this is they don't understand the best way to parent is to let people screw things up for themselves, that way in the future you won't have to rely on them...

yh i dont want to break up with him because ill end up blaming my parents if i end up being with someone i dont love as much.
I do trust him, he wouldnt ever hurt me on purpose. but ive heard stories about girls in my school who have had sex with guys and then been used by them and i dont want to be that kind of girl.

yeah i know
i think you should wait( dont have sex with him) in my opinion i would consider sex a big thing only after just 5 months
you can stop yourself fallin in love
you decide whether you want to be with him
as long he doesnt hurt you in any way
try to talk to your parents about him trust me its better than keeping it a secret
(edited 7 years ago)

Just crack on! :smile: You can't stop yourself falling in love. If your parents don't like him it might just be that they just don't get a good vibe from him. If he's rough, put some moisturising lotion on it LMAO :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by Aykem
It should definitely be your choice, so it's up to you to weigh it up. Maybe try and get your parents and him to spend time together? Why exactly don't they like him?

I've tried so hard to get everyone to get along, we've gone on days out like picnics and walks with the family but my mum will always try and pick an argument and its so frustrating because he tries so hard to get along with everyone.
When i first started talking to him my parents said he was really old and i shouldnt get too close to him, then when we started going out we spent a lot more time together and my parents didnt mind him coming over. On my birthday, my mum organised a really big party but because my birthdays on 14th Feb he had organised a weekend in Istanbul. They think he's trying to pull me away from my family but hes not, he just loves me.
Reply 18
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Just crack on! :smile: You can't stop yourself falling in love. If your parents don't like him it might just be that they just don't get a good vibe from him. If he's rough, put some moisturising lotion on it LMAO :biggrin:

lotion on what?
lotion on what?

What were you sayin' was rough cuz I think I looked at it wrong LOL :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending