The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Music 2016

Hi guys,
I wanted to know how your revision is going for A2 and how your revising for all the set works ! :angry:

Have any of you done or started your technical study coz mine is today and im dreading it :frown:

please comment :smile: x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aamritgill
Hi guys,
I wanted to know how your revision is going for A2 and how your revising for all the set works ! :angry:

Have any of you done or started your technical study coz mine is today and im dreading it :frown:

please comment :smile: x

Moved this to the creative and performing arts forum :h:
Hi,
Hope your coursework went well, as deadline has been and gone now! I am really annoyed because my performance was slightly under time so I lost 2 marks for it, when I timed it at home it was long enough, oh well...I think it was still an A but not sure.
In terms of revision, I am really struggling! Have made posters for each set work but there is just so much to know, I don't know how to do it! So any tips would be great.
What technical study/composition did you do and how did you find it?
:tongue:
Original post by student9977
Hi,
Hope your coursework went well, as deadline has been and gone now! I am really annoyed because my performance was slightly under time so I lost 2 marks for it, when I timed it at home it was long enough, oh well...I think it was still an A but not sure.
In terms of revision, I am really struggling! Have made posters for each set work but there is just so much to know, I don't know how to do it! So any tips would be great.
What technical study/composition did you do and how did you find it?
:tongue:

I did the Bach chorale and the Binary form dances composition - I think they both went quite well! Your revision sounds like a good process and just take your time learning it small bits at a time. Remember you always have the anthology in the exam if you're desperate for ideas, and you don't have to worry about learning bar numbers!
Original post by OllieDavies
I did the Bach chorale and the Binary form dances composition - I think they both went quite well! Your revision sounds like a good process and just take your time learning it small bits at a time. Remember you always have the anthology in the exam if you're desperate for ideas, and you don't have to worry about learning bar numbers!

I did the same ones! Yeah I think mine were ok too, the bach chorale had more imperfect cadences in than usual which annoyed me but I think it was fine. I quite liked the binary form brief, it suited me well. Yeah I know, I am focusing on learning 3-4 points for each musical feature for each set work then can make more up in the exam using the score. Section A is really hard too I find.
Does anyone have preditctions for the questions?
Original post by OllieDavies

Same here! I really hope i did okay in them.
I did the same ones! Yeah I think mine were ok too, the bach chorale had more imperfect cadences in than usual which annoyed me but I think it was fine. I quite liked the binary form brief, it suited me well. Yeah I know, I am focusing on learning 3-4 points for each musical feature for each set work then can make more up in the exam using the score. Section A is really hard too I find.

Agreed. Aural Awareness is not too bad (apart from naming chords) but i always do badly on the comparison questions

Does anyone have tips on them?
Original post by tilly5798
Agreed. Aural Awareness is not too bad (apart from naming chords) but i always do badly on the comparison questions

Does anyone have tips on them?

Some of the chord questions are ridiculous though, like what normal person can tell if it is a German 6th or a Neopolitan 6th?!

I tend to do better on the comparison questions actually.

What works for me is reading through the questions quickly first then making a rough table at the bottom about what the question is asking you...

So you would have 2 columns: extract A and extract B and then the feature e.g. texture on the row. Then when you are listening to them you can just jot down anything about that feature that you hear and put it into a more coherent answer when you have the longer pauses.

I find that helps cos you don't have to think about writing actual sentences while listening out for all the complicated stuff!

Might not work for you but yeah :smile:
Original post by rrr1233123
Does anyone have preditctions for the questions?

Apparently On the waterfront is likely to come up, as is Schoenberg but don't hold me to it and not sure about instrumental ones... it always feels risky predicting the questions! :s-smilie:

I would be really happy if Schoenberg came up as it is so easy to write about! :tongue:
anyone else freaking out about how ridiculously hard the aural question 2 is!?! I'm so bad at hearing a neopolitan 6th and french 6th and german 6th or differentiating phrygian cadences from plagal…aaaHHH..:frown:
Original post by LucySingh
anyone else freaking out about how ridiculously hard the aural question 2 is!?! I'm so bad at hearing a neopolitan 6th and french 6th and german 6th or differentiating phrygian cadences from plagal…aaaHHH..:frown:

I've decided that the chord questions are probably not going to go very well too (unless it's a dominant/ diminished 7th because they're not too hard to hear) but don't worry -they're only worth two or three marks! Focus more on melodic dictation and the essays because they carry a lot more weight in terms of marks yet are a lot easier!
Original post by musicandscience
any predictions for the 36 markers?

Apparently Haydn Brahms and miles Davis could be one....but not sure :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not freaking out but just decided to guess the chords! Other than diminished/dominant 7th I can't hear any of them!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not freaking out but just decided to guess the chords! Other than diminished/dominant 7th I can't hear any of them!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah me too!! I'm just gonna hope for the best.. i can hear perfect cadences, interrupted and sometimes plagal fairly well, can't hear phrygian for the life of me.. and the dictation exercise actually makes me want to cry:frown:
anyone think ET john williams will come up for applied question? it came up for 2011.. so do you think it's risky to not revise it and only revise shoenberg, bach and bernstien??? (also not revising the irish jig)
anyone think ET john williams will come up for applied question? it came up for 2011.. so do you think it's risky to not revise it and only revise shoenberg, bach and bernstien??? (also not revising the irish jig)

Bach has come up twice so Im not learning it
Bach has come up twice so Im not learning it

so are you going to revise all of them? (for applied)
so are you going to revise all of them? (for applied)

focusing on schoenberg & bernstein
what are you doing about instrumental???
focusing on schoenberg & bernstein
what are you doing about instrumental???

yeah i might do that, its likely those two will be an option- for instrumental I'm attempting to learn all the works like 3 points for each feature (i.e. melody, harmony, rhythm etc) :/

Quick Reply